Plexus recommendation - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up Plexus recommendation

Got hold of a can of Plexus recently after reading about it on other forums. This a cleaner/protectent/wax specially made for clear plastic windows and is apparently used in the aviation industry for treating cockpit windows. It restored my visor to like new clarity and removed the haze. The water now runs off it in the rain. It also works great on plastic body panels too. Only problem problem is it is a bit pricey so I think I will reserve it for just using on my visor and windshield. Unlike RainX it is safe for plastic. Also has some anti fog properties. The really nice thing is it does not leave any visible residue and fills in hazing and other small imperfections in the plastic improving clarity. Recommend!

According to their advertising it is supposed to leave a barrier coating.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-23-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are you using it on the inside of your shield?

MotoEd
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 AM

I haven't had much luck with it's anti-fog properties, but it is great on the outside of the shield. I have been using it for a few years and have very happy with how it works...yes it is expensive!! Those little cans for your tank bag are really expensive for what you get!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sharrison56; 09-24-2012 at 07:31 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 AM

Sometimes I even wash my bike with it (plastics only).
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
So far I have been using it on both sides of the shield but we have not really got into cold enough weather yet that fogging is a problem. I does help somewhat at preventing fogging but I'm not convinced yet that it is a direct replacement for anti fog spray yet. As I mentioned it also helps shed the rain. What it does do really well for clear plastic though is like what Armor All does for faded vinyl.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 AM

I confirm, it does not replace anti-fog spray Specially if you have a Shoei (great helmets that for some reason fog more then all the rest.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 AM

I use it on everything, windshield,tank, panels,helmet visor,instrument panel and it does a great jobof protecting and polishing.
I never knew it was supposed to help with fogging and never noticed as it is always my sunglasses that fog up not my visor.

2013 Versys1000
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 PM

I wonder if it would clean the Rain-X off the windshield of my Vulcan? I never knew you weren't supposed to use Rain X on Plastic and made the mistake. Now when it rains, the water on the windshield beads up, but doesn't blow off.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 PM

You could try it on the side of the visor...it might coat over the rain-x film...or it might just protect it...I think what I'd do is let the visor soak in warm soapy water and gently rub with a soft cloth, then wipe dry and then apply Plexus and buff with a clean dry cloth.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Use it on the lexan windshield of my racecar. It is pricey, but it does clean well and doesn't scratch or discolor the plastic. It does seem to take out some of the fine scratches as well. Definitely worth picking up.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 PM

My moto driver at last weekends triathlon (female, really pretty, and a computer programmer for Apple with a MS in Computer Science from UCSD!) introduced me to PLEXUS, which I applied to my helmet shield. Nice stuff that I had never heard of before. Just ordered a spray can off Amazon. It's pricey, but wow - the bugs just slid off it.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 PM

I have been using it for the last five years and it is great for plastic shields!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The price of that stuff has gone thru the roof !

Yeah, we still buy it because haven't found anything better for its intended purpose.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Been using Plexus for years on my shields and shooting glasses. Excellent product. Before that i used "pledge" furniture polish. That was also excellent on my visor and filled the micro scratches superbly. A helicopter pilot put me onto that in 1973. The trouble is, pledge only comes in big spray cans, inconvenient to carry on the bike.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
The price of that stuff has gone thru the roof !

Yeah, we still buy it because haven't found anything better for its intended purpose.

I recently got a large can at motorcycle superstore for a little over $12.00 had $10.00 worth of bonus points from previous purchases and a free shipping coupon from a previous order.. It is expensive but works great

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 PM

It isn't too terrible if you buy the big cans.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
It isn't too terrible if you buy the big cans.

So True...

nice_big_tits_1 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
...The trouble is, pledge only comes in big spray cans, inconvenient to carry on the bike.
I buy the "no-name" lemon pledge in cans that are about 9" H x 2.25" D, and regularly carry a can in my soft saddlebags. My face-shields look like brand new!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:31 PM

Plexus IS very good but as mentioned, pretty expensive. Personally, I keep a fresh coat of Turtle Wax on the windshield, visor, helmet and the bike in general. Before I begin the next days ride a very wet soft cloth across the shields and the bugs melt off. A quick wipe with a dry soft cloth and i'm good to go! And I think i'm helping save the "end-zone." Or was it "ozone?"
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Lemon pledge here.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
helmet shield, plexus, visor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode