AGV helmets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

AGV helmets

Anybody have any opinions? Own own? Use one?

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/agv-helmets/miglia/

...in flat black. They seem to like it. I like the price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 AM

Have not tried on that brand. I like the modular helmets but have not found one that is DOT and Snell approved. I go with helmets that have both.

If it's comfortable with the right fit and visability, it'll work.

Last edited by pmac; 11-22-2008 at 08:11 AM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Anybody have any opinions? Own own? Use one?

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/agv-helmets/miglia/

...in flat black. They seem to like it. I like the price.

I have a Flyer,have also owned a V-Flyer (more vents) ,I like the brand,good fit ,relitively quiet ( I wear earplugs all the time, so take that into account)Liner in mine comes out to clean,shield easy to change or remove to clean, light weight.Really I have nothing bad to say about them

AMA EAA STN

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjack View Post
I have a Flyer,have also owned a V-Flyer (more vents) ,I like the brand,good fit ,relitively quiet ( I wear earplugs all the time, so take that into account)Liner in mine comes out to clean,shield easy to change or remove to clean, light weight.Really I have nothing bad to say about them
I've read a few reviews & a couple of people have said they had to buy a size bigger. How was the sizing for you?

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 08:19 PM

I used to wear them exclusively, but imports at the time (Eighties) were scant. AGV are well known for making very light and reasonably quiet lids. I have not tried any of their recent hats but would not hesitate to vouch for the quality. FWIW I have been an Arai wearer for years because their long-oval helmets (Signa and its replacement) fit me best.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

That's good to hear! I'm about to hit the order button. Probably Tuesday (payday).

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I've read a few reviews & a couple of people have said they had to buy a size bigger. How was the sizing for you?
You need to try them on,my 2 cents the flyer was dead on,the v flyer ran big,i hear some run small,I think its a function of how much cheek padding there is in it

AMA EAA STN
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjack View Post
You need to try them on,my 2 cents the flyer was dead on,the v flyer ran big,i hear some run small,I think its a function of how much cheek padding there is in it
Yeah, I know you can order different sized pads as well. So far, none of my local spots have the Miglia in stock, so I'll probably chance it & order it from one of the web vendors.

The odd thing is, my current helmet is an XL. I've tried on quite a few helmets over the last couple of months & I'm either L or XL, depending on the helmet. However, according to the sizing chart for the AGV, I'm supposed to wear a medium. Well, I can tell you, a medium will not fit over my head. I'm going to order the large. If it don't fit, maybe they'll exchange it for the XL.

Its only time & money, after all...

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 AM

I tried that helmet on. As a rule I don't like flip ups because they seem bulky. The Miglia feels compact and is very light. Lighter than most regular full face helmets.If I didn't have too many helmets I would have bought it on the spot. As a rule I try to buy the smallest helmet that is comfortable for me because the snugger it is the quicker you can turn your head and have the helmet keep up. I have an oval head and the Miglia fit nice. They don't make it in yellow (i'm a hi-viz guy) but the white is cool. A big plus= it is DOT only approved, which makes it safest for the speeds we ride. Go for it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well, I pushed the "order" button today. It should be here around 8 Dec. I also ordered the smoke visor & the breath guard thing. I guess that helmet is so tight, they figured there should be a barrier for your own bad breath. Who knew??

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ac=2&zmap=1478

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I know all of you have been waiting on pins & needles for my new AGV Miglia helmet to show up. Well, it came today and I will reward your patience with a review! I might even have a picture or two!! It came with a clear visor, but I bought the smoke one as well. I figured it would help with the sun on those bright Texas days. And it looks good too...

I tried it on & it fits pretty good (whew!). It is a bit lighter than my old HJC, but not as light as I had hoped. The reviews from webbikeworld said it was one of the lightest flip-ups out there. They also said my HJC was one of the heavier helmets. Honestly, at least sitting here at the computer, there's not that much of a difference.

The area around the jaw, just in front of the ears curves in toward my face a little more than the HJC, which makes it a little tight when donning & doffing. Its not bad, just a little tighter than what I'm used to. The AGV fits better everywhere else. Its snug & secure, but causes no pain.

Very nice padding, but stiffer than I expected. The pictures make it look plush on the inside. It looks like a better quality interior than the old HJC.

The outside of the helmet is a bit bigger than I expected. Its even a little bigger than the old one. It looks like a big 8 ball. The shape looks more round than my HJC, but when they're side by side, they're remarkably similar. I hope I didn't just buy a remake of my old helmet in flat black!

The locking mechanism for the flip-up is far superior to the HJC. It opens way easier & closes with a very confidence inspiring click. I like this feature a lot! Also, the visor is easier to remove & reinstall than the HJC, which I think is a pain in the ASS. Two thumbs WAY up, here.

First impressions, it seems like a very well made helmet, especially for the price. I believe it is a better helmet than my old HJC which was quite a bit pricier when I bought it new a few years ago. I haven't road tested it yet, that'll have to wait a bit. Maybe tomorrow if the weather turns nice. Of course, we're going to my wife's company Christmas party tomorrow night, so it may have to wait a little longer. I'll just have to play it by ear...

Stay tuned for further developments...

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:29 AM

Nice looking lid! Don't worry about it being a little tight at first,they always are from AGV it will fit like a glove after you break her in.

AMA EAA STN
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

And the saga continues...

Went for a quick ride today with the new AGV. It feels lighter when riding than the HJC. It really is a noticeable difference. It is quieter, and at speeds 60mph & less, far quieter than the HJC. After 60, the boomy wind noise is still there, but less. If a man wore earplugs, I would think this would be a fairly quiet helmet. I also noticed almost NO buffeting, even at faster highway speeds. I really like this helmet better. I can't wait to go for a longer distance ride.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 03:11 PM

Love the Black!

Bear,

Nice lid. I love the Black!

We'll have to give it a real road test one of these days!

Monte
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Just say the word! I'm committed today & tomorrow, but the TWTex guys are having a Ride To Eat coming up soon. I'm thinking about going if the weather is decent.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Ok, after a couple of longer rides (as in a couple hours or so), I'm loving this helmet! Now I'm starting to wonder what it's like to wear a carbon fiber helmet. The lighter weight really makes a difference. Nice fit, very comfortable. The only negative is the wind noise above 60 mph seems a bit much. I've been meaning to wear earplugs just to see how I like it anyway. Looks like as good a time as any...

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Noise blocking earphones have solved my wind noise problem! WOO HOO!!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2521

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM

I had an AGV, great fit OTHER than the fact that my chin touched the flip up bar when it was locked and down and I don't have a big chin.

Mine had the built in sun shield, so maybe that was a different style. I've got the Nolan N200 flip now and love it.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Noise blocking earphones have solved my wind noise problem! WOO HOO!!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2521
Glad you like the AGV, I have a LONGWAY looks the same just diffrent name mines in silver, just like the bike tee hee, ive had this one just over a year now no real problems so far. ( still cannot work out the lower air vent is it open in the middle position or to the left or right ) I also use ear plugs works okay for me,,, yoohoo
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I've been wearing AGV helmets for a while now and really like them a lot. Went down in a Stealth and even though I was a bit shaken up, no head injury what so ever. It is also the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn, even more than my X-Tec Shoei. Just bought a new one from Helmet Harbor (good people, good service) and it is a really good fit...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode