Texas heat keeps me sweating. How can I cool down? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Texas heat keeps me sweating. How can I cool down?

I'm dying in all this beautiful sunshine that the great state of Texas has blessed us with. I soak my T-shirt and the wife beater underneath within an hour. I wear a textile vented jacket, Power Trip Mojave Jacket and Draggin' jeans most of the time. I feel great when I'm mashing it at 65, but cruising at 30 to 40 it's meltdown city time.

Any ideas to keep a little cooler. It does suck to bring a second set of clothes to go to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 PM
MTS

Many threads but the one I liked was the dude with the ice vest that made great sence and lasted 1 1/2 hours or something like that. Google it there is a ton of them. Good luck fellow rider!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Get a mesh jacket and ditch the dragging jeans and get a pair of mesh pants. I ride with a Tourmaster Intake II. Full mesh with two removable liners. Decent three season jacket that does not break the bank.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I'm dying in all this beautiful sunshine that the great state of Texas has blessed us with. I soak my T-shirt and the wife beater underneath within an hour. I wear a textile vented jacket, Power Trip Mojave Jacket and Draggin' jeans most of the time. I feel great when I'm mashing it at 65, but cruising at 30 to 40 it's meltdown city time.

Any ideas to keep a little cooler. It does suck to bring a second set of clothes to go to work.
Have you tried a cooling vest under your jacket? They are typically only about $50 at most motorcycle stores.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 AM

Only ride at night?

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM

In the heat of a Phoenix summer do what I do.....take the car!

There is no cure for hot temperatures. You can mitigate it some but ultimately it wins.

Mesh, cool vest, water backpack. Good luck.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 PM

Move to Alaska.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:

Try a set of these "Ventz". They will force air up your arms
Quote:
Ventz is a patented and European design protected venting system designed to reduce the build up of heat under the protective clothing worn by most motorcyclists. In warmer conditions this heat can build up to very uncomfortable levels and ultimately lead to severe loss of concentration to the rider.

How It Works

When riding in warm weather the air locked inside your jacket creates an invisible blanket of trapped air that raises your body temperature to uncomfortable levels. Ventz creates a regular flow of soothing air that strips away this heated layer making your journey more comfortable and your arrival a lot cooler.

Made in UK - More details HERE - http://www.ventz-range.com/
Not sure about avalibility on other side of the pond

Richard

at
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 AM

cold beer at the pub is great cooldown.
cheers
jet
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Many threads but the one I liked was the dude with the ice vest that made great sence and lasted 1 1/2 hours or something like that. Google it there is a ton of them. Good luck fellow rider!
One of those is Coolvest by Glaciertek.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Here's my two cents:
Lose the cotton T-Shirts and Wifebeaters... I use Underarmour and Champion (Target stores) synthetic stuff - underwear and socks too - when I'm on a long ride. On my long tour this summer I had three pair of Columbia zip-off "Blood and Guts" pants under my Olympia Stealth mesh suit and they more than paid for themselves. They wick sweat off your body and help it to evaporate... and even though I rode through more than a couple of showers on my summer trip - the non-cotton underpinnings helped me dry out in no time.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Gets pretty hot here in the BC Okanagan - I wear a Tee-shirt under my ATGATT stuff, and when I get hot pour water down the front between my jacket and the tee, maybe a cup or so per time.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 AM

I use one of these cooling vests:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BDU3O2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Mesh or perforated leather will do better than vented textile. They let you breathe a bit more at slower speeds.

I wear perf leather until it hits 100, then I swap to mesh. I also wear golf shirts in the summer--they're basically sweat-wicking polo shirts that don't show the sweat dampness. They work just fine for the little sweating I do on the way to work in the cooler morning, and I don't care what I look like when I get home.

If you've got some silly touring screen on your V ditch that as well and use the stock screen on the lowest setting.

Definitely stay away from evaporative cooling vests, you'll need that change of clothes. I personally won't wear a phase change vest either because I don't want to crash with the equivalent of rocks strapped to my ribcage.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 PM

Water Bottle

In the summer, I use a Firstgear Meshtex jacket and I always carry a tall insulated bicycle water bottle that I stick in a neoprene Bottle Sox (brand). I attach it to the tankbag on which ever bike I'm riding. It stays icy cold for the better part of an hour. There is nothing like a sip of really cold water to cool you off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 Colorado 021.jpg (56.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 2012 Colorado 019.jpg (22.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 2012 Colorado 020.jpg (22.8 KB, 55 views)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 PM

We have the same problem in South Africa. I got a really nice jacket that can convert from a normal jacket to a mesh jacket. Called a Flex Series 2 Jacket. I see that Tourmaster have a new version called the Flex Series 3 Jacket. It's the only jacket I will ever buy again. Just a few zips and viola I have a fully mesh jacket with all the armour still present.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 AM

Several brands like Alpine Stars, Fox etc make under garments designed to wick up body moisture and use it to cool with a air flow effect. A ballistic nylon style jacket and even pants when worn in conjunction allows wind flow to cool the moisture already in the fabric under garment from sweating.

They are used in all safari's and desert races almost by every rider world wide who are required to wear a full jacket to race. They are very effective.

I use the Alpine stars full length john's and shirt under a driRider Ralley Cross Pro jacket, but you can get just the vest type ones that are also well worth the 50 few bucks they cost.. Saves wasting valuable water that you need to drink if your losing that much fluid.. the outer garment plays just as critical role for overall effectiveness.

Last edited by crow; 01-14-2013 at 03:22 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehos View Post
If you've got some silly touring screen on your V ditch that as well and use the stock screen on the lowest setting.
I have a "silly" touring screen because the stock screen on the lowest setting causes far too much turbulence and wind noise around my helmet. Better off to remove the screen and cop the clean air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode