Has Anyone Owned an AFX FX-95 Helmet? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Has Anyone Owned an AFX FX-95 Helmet?

A couple of moto sites are having a clearance sale on AFX helmets. There is one in particular that I like the looks of but I've never owned an AFX helmet and I usually stay away from cheap brands when protection and safety are the main goals of the product. This AFX Airstrike helmet looks good plus it's DOT and ECE certified. The only negative I can really find in it's specs is that it's a single density liner where more expensive brands are dual density.

Any thoughts about AFX?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 06:05 PM

Garage
Not this model but I have owned an AFX FX-39 Dual Sport. It was very light, feature filled, well made and fitted me well. It was replaced after dropping it on concrete.
I no longer see the need to buy top of the line Arai Shoei etc. These mid-priced AND budget have the safety ratings and I like the quick release latch.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Just to note, AFX may only have one shell size. So if you're a size small or medium it will look like a moon helmet on you. I know, I usually wear a size medium helmet and a couple of years ago I liked an AFX helmet, bought it online, and returned it within 24 hours. It was gigantic and heavy.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Garage
I have the AFX41DS, which is a feature filled helmet, but is heavy and LOUD. I got mine for $140.00, and at that price point I really can't complain about it. Also DOT and ECE rated. I suspect that the higher end helmets typically have better safety rating, more shell sizes, lighter weight, and (I would hope) better noise control/reduction.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I thought I would share a review I wrote on motorcyclegear.com for my AFX-95 helmet since purchasing it a few months ago.

AFX FX-95 Airstrike Helmet, Cheap
I purchased the orange and white version of this helmet because I really liked the graphics on this helmet so I will start there. It looks matte in the online photos but it's really a glossy finish with a brighter more intense orange. The graphics also have some very visible screening effect, looks pixelated in places. Also the finish is rough in spots with bubbled paint along the top vents and other irregularities. Having written all that I still like it's looks... from a few feet away.

The helmet feels long and narrow on my head pressing on my ears, I can fit sunglasses into the helmet but the arms of the glasses do not rest on my ears but rather are wedged in above them. As far as overall size it's recommended by many to purchase one size up. As I tend to fall between small and medium I went with medium and it's okay other than the width issue. Overall comfort is good with a decent liner that is equivalent to my AGV K3 but not as nice as my Shoei RF1100 or Icon Airmada. Noise level is average, in my helmet range the Shoei and Icon are about the same, then the AFX and coming in last is my AGV.

The helmet is ECE rated which gives me some comfort but the helmet itself feels cheap in places. All the mechanisms to open and close the vents are cheap and do not slide open and close easily and at times get stuck in their tracks and even turn a bit sideways. There is a small lever by the face shield that cracks open the visor for venting, similar to my Shoei only this one doesn't seem to work and feels like it will break if pressed. I like to ride with visor all the way up on hot days or in town yet on the Airstrike the visor tends to fall down or close after a short time. The neck strap is secured by a double D ring but instead of the end of the strap having a snap to secure it there is a simple elastic band that holds the strap in place. Like everything else on the helmet it works, just barely.

All in all I do like the helmet and plan on using it more. It's magnitudes cheaper in construction than my Shoei which it should be but it's also noticeably cheaper in quality than my Icon which isn't that much more expensive. Matter of fact I would say my Icon is more similar to to my Shoei than the AFX is to the Icon.

In conclusion I would only recommend the AFX Airstrike if like me, you really like the graphics otherwise get an HJC, Scorpion or Icon entry level helmet. Much, much better build quality for only a little more money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode