Riding pants... the cuffs. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Riding pants... the cuffs.

So I got a pair of River Road Taos riding pants. ( http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...os-black-pants ) I really like them and would like to keep them, but I'm having a slight problem that maybe you guys have experienced and know how to fix. We have some creative problem solvers around here.

The pants are the perfect fit in the waist and length when standing/walking, but slightly too short when I'm actually on the bike. This causes them to expose about 1/2 to 1 inch of my regular pants that are underneath right at my boot.

This has a couple of draw backs. One is that my pants can/will get wet in any inclement weather and two, cold air blows up there!

This pair of riding pants does NOT have velcro closures at the bottom/cuff. The pants do have zippered openings for getting them on and off without taking off your boots, but my feet must be too big to utilize this feature so I take them off anyway.

I'm thinking about trying to find some 3 or 4 inch velcro/elastic bands that I can wrap around the cuffs to cinch them closed but having problems finding any. I'm also thinking about sewing something similar to the bottom of the cuff.

What do you guys think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 AM

I have a similar problem with even just my jeans, and I solve it by just standing up on my pegs when I take off, and they drop down just fine. I know it seems too simple, but it works. On these now cool mornings, it helps a lot.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Yep I do that as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I'm thinking about trying to find some 3 or 4 inch velcro/elastic bands that I can wrap around the cuffs to cinch them closed but having problems finding any. I'm also thinking about sewing something similar to the bottom of the cuff.

What do you guys think?
I think this is going to still allow them to ride up. Why not try some traditional elastic biker boot straps with clips to hold the pant legs down? I have a couple pair that I use from time to time that I think I got for a couple bucks on eBay.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 PM

I've had the same problem. I took a trip out west into Utah and Colo. back in May. As part of my rain gear, I had a pair of gaithers. I used them a time or two to keep the wind from going up my pants legs, they worked great. I never had to use them for rain protection.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:41 PM

Probably not what you want to hear but if your riding pants expose your leg while riding but fit standing, they are too short. They are "riding" pants, not "standing" pants. That said, I understand you don't want to get others because you like these. To ride year round you pretty much need elastic or velcro closure at the bottom whether they are long enough or not. My riding overpants fit long while standing and just right while riding and the cold still blows up my legs if I don't put something around the bottom.
If you have any friends who are or were in the Army ask them if they have any elastic trouser stays. They are elastic/velcro straps about 1.5" wide that go around your leg. Push your Jeans up inside and throw the strap on around your overpants.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:46 PM

Another thing you can do is make a couple of straps out of webbing. and buy a snap kit put the snaps in the cuff on on each side and the other half of the snap in each end of the webbing. My rain pants are like this and work great.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode