Recommend me some raingear that works! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Recommend me some raingear that works!

So I've bought jacket and pants. Yesterday there was a mild rain so I thought I would go for a ride and see how well my riding gear worked. Mind you this gear wasn't labelled "rain-gear".. it was Taos riding pants and a Fulmer jacket. I already had some experience with the jacket not being waterproof, but hadn't tried the pants yet.

Taos claims the pants are "waterproof" with a breathable textile.

Yeah...

After pulling out of my driveway and making a left hand turn the rain went from mild to a downpour that reduced visibility to about 50 yards. I rode for 10 minutes and was soaked to the bone.

When I got to my garage I lowered my arms from the grips and about a gallon of water poured out of my sleeves and my jeans were wet all the way through under my "waterproof" riding pants.

So what do you guys recommend for rain gear that actually works?

Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Good rain gear is not cheap!!
For pants, I use the Klim Traverse pants and am extremely happy with them....they are really well made. My Tourmaster jacket is advertised as water proof but in long downpours it does leak. When I am traveling in the rain, I usually put a light fleece on, then a gore-tex shell, then my jacket. I think the problem with the cheaper rain gear is that it cannot stand up to the wind and water pressure as you are sailing down the road. By putting the gore-tex shell under my jacket, I take that pressure away. I will probably spring for the Klim Traverse jacket down the road.
Do some research and you will find that quality rain gear for motorcycles is an entirely different animal than normal rain gear.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:31 AM

Get a set of dedicated rain gear and wear on top of your riding gear. I have a two piece tourmaster rain suit so does my wife. I have riden for hours under heavy rain and stayed dry and warm. I believe the model I have is discontinued, got it in a clearence sale for about $30 incredible bargain. However, I see tourmaster have a relatively inexpensive two piece "Tour Master Defender Two-Piece Rainsuit". If this one is like the one I have it is the fabric is really waterproof. The fold over velcro over the zipper closure keeps wind and rain out extremely well. Maybe too well. There is very limited ventilation while everything is closed.

I took a second look and the rain suit I have is not the Master Defender. Seems that I have an older version of the Tour Master Elite.

Last edited by Boricua; 09-04-2012 at 11:42 AM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Get a set of dedicated rain gear and wear on top of your riding gear.
+1. I had a no-name brand rain jacket and rain pants for close to 20 years and always stayed dry. Eventually the seams gave way so replaced it with a TourMaster rain suit (jacket and pants). They have also kept me dry.

I tried a one-piece jumpsuit style and did not care for it...hard to get on, hard to take off. Some guys like the pants with suspenders ("braces" for you Brits).

One bit of advice is not to trust any "waterproof" pockets in your rain gear with anything that would be damaged by water, such as a phone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 PM

What kind of temps we talking?

I bought a Coleman rain suit for 20 bucks at walmart. Pants come up to my ribs so I tuck my leather in, the jacket comes down past my ass so no leaks. Keeps me 100% dry when I remember my rain boots too.

Downside- if its over 75 degrees and your trip is more than 20-25 min, forget it. On the other hand....if its 45 and rainy, it keeps you cozy.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Get a set of dedicated rain gear and wear on top of your riding gear. I have a two piece tourmaster rain suit so does my wife. I have riden for hours under heavy rain and stayed dry and warm. I believe the model I have is discontinued, got it in a clearence sale for about $30 incredible bargain. However, I see tourmaster have a relatively inexpensive two piece "Tour Master Defender Two-Piece Rainsuit". If this one is like the one I have it is the fabric is really waterproof. The fold over velcro over the zipper closure keeps wind and rain out extremely well. Maybe too well. There is very limited ventilation while everything is closed.

I took a second look and the rain suit I have is not the Master Defender. Seems that I have an older version of the Tour Master Elite.
I second this....after owning a couple different brands with hi-tech rain liners, I am tired of it keeping the rain from penetrating but not keeping the rain from coming down my back, going up my sleeves, or running down my jacket into my pants (then into my boots)

therefor I am now looking for frogg toggs or some other 1 peice rain suit to wear on the OUTSIDE of my gear

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 PM

One benefit on dedicated rain gear over the riding gear. It keep you good gear clean. Rain water might be clean but road spray is not. Makes a huge difference when your trip keep you on the road for several days.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 07:12 PM

Only thing I've found that keeps me dry is Gore-Tex. I'm another believer in rain gear over your jacket, don't understand why you want the 'waterproof' layer inside the jacket. In this day and age you would think someone would have a liner that zipped to the outside.

I too would like the Klim Traverse gear but I prefer my waterproof gear to be hi-viz. In grey, overcast conditions with poor visibility I don't like the idea of wearing a grey jacket. In dry conditions I don't mind, but not in wet. I ended up digging out my cycling GoreTex jacket from the bottom the closet and wearing that over by moto gear. Jacket was 11 years old and worked a treat. After another 2 years on the bike the zipper eventually broke and I replaced it with the latest version of the same jacket. Not cheap though.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM

Like others above said: Frog Toggs

I rode 4500 miles across the western US this summer and was rained on very nearly every day. I'd just stop, get in the Toggs (with the hood under my helmet when it was really coming down) then jump back on the bike and keep going. I did several highway stretches in pretty serious rain and never once found any water that got through the Toggs. I had to stop more than once because I couldn't see - but that's a different issue.

The ones I have are the cheapo $40 two-piece setup from Academy Sports.

The Toggs over my normal riding gear (Tour Master) kept me as warm as I ever needed to be, and I didn't bring the quilted TM layer with me. Now, I wasn't riding in anything freezing, right at 40 dry and 50 wet was about as cold as I went.

In light sprinkels, I'd put on the Togg tops but leave the pants off. My TourMaster pants were kinda, sorta rain proof, so this setup worked for warmer temps and light rain.

The bonus of the Frog Toggs is that they stuff into a small bag that makes a perfect camping pillow.

Cheers, Jeff

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 AM

I've never tried Frogg Toggs however two friends who I rode with in hard steady rain found themselves wet under their one piece Frogg Toggs while the rest of us in conventional riding suits stayed dry. The Frogg Toggs turned dark in color and leaked straight through the fabric. These were the Classic series Frogg Toggs and they weren't up to the task of keeping motorcyclists dry...I get the feeling they weren't designed with that goal in mind.

Since then Frogg Toggs have introduced the Road Toadz line which appear to be designed for riding.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 AM

I have a older Fieldshear Tour jacket that as kept me dry for many miles. I paired up a pair of Tourmaster rain pants OR waterproof armored riding pants with it. Good boots and well fitting and sealing helmet from Shoie and I stay 95% dry. Only "Hole" to plug is gloves, I have yet to find a pair of waterproof gloves that are waterproof. I have used latex rubber gloves under my riding glove and while it works it is less than comfy nor do they last.

I wear the jacket full time as I can open the zipped ducts to vent it as needed. I carry rhe rain pants as they are NOT vented in anyway. I wear the armored riding pant in cooler weather again as they were a cheaper pair and are not vented, the high doller ones offer venting and better fit.

I do not always like Gor Tex as I have found that it can be overwelmed and once rain get throught it you're done for as it will not stop it again. Coated rubber while not as comfy will put up with about anything you throw at it.

One trick I learned from a old guy was the wax my faceshield. DO NOT USE RAIN-X as it can attack the plastic. A coat of regular old car wax keep the rain sliding off so you can see what's around you.

I rode 20+ miles in a driving rain yesterday after picking up my bike and was dry as toast the whole time, other than my hands of course. This was at times one of those nice "It's raining sideways" trips that I hate to ride in.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-05-2012 at 08:00 AM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I have yet to find a pair of waterproof gloves that are waterproof.
These are the only ones I've found that are. I have the previous generation (bright blue). They are packed with my rain gear.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to hiflynbrd
I've tried several over the years and the Coleman rainsuit at Walmart is my final choice. If something happens to this one I'll just buy another one.

12 Versys, 08 Can-Am Spyder-SOLD, thank God, , 93 ST1100ABS 132K, 99 ST1100ABS project cafe racer, 93 KLR650, 04 XR650R street legal, 04 CRF500R street legal, 98 KTM 620 Supermoto street legal-SOLD, too loud for Hawaiian police, 04 DRZ400S, 82 Turbo Seca (x2), one running and one parts bike, make me an offer, ~78 Yambulzukisaki hybrid, and oh so many others
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I'm with the guys who wear a rain-suit over regular gear, which for me, is a Kilimanjaro (waterproof) 3/4 length jacket. That way I don't worry in a 'sprinkle', but I DO when it looks like RAIN!

I also prefer two-piece, simply because a one-piece is a BEAR to get into on the side of the road, and you can just use the pants for wind protection if needed.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I have yet to find a pair of waterproof gloves that are waterproof.
I have only found glove covers to be fully waterproof.
I use Rain-Off glove covers, which work really well. A similar product is carried by Aerostich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I've never tried Frogg Toggs however two friends who I rode with in hard steady rain found themselves wet under their one piece Frogg Toggs while the rest of us in conventional riding suits stayed dry. The Frogg Toggs turned dark in color and leaked straight through the fabric. These were the Classic series Frogg Toggs and they weren't up to the task of keeping motorcyclists dry...I get the feeling they weren't designed with that goal in mind.

Since then Frogg Toggs have introduced the Road Toadz line which appear to be designed for riding.
I owned the Road Toadz from Frogg Toggs and they worked quite well: They keep the rain out even in extended Frogg stranglers and breathe so they don't make you sweat when it is warm.

However, they are bulky: The fabric is thick (but light in weight) so it doesn't fold up very small, and it is "rough" so when you put your boot in it tends to catch the inside and tear at it.
My Road Toadz were worn out with these boot tears and snap-button failures at the boot cuffs after two years. I now have a 2-piece Tourmaster rain suit in bright yellow and black.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Just to give an update. I purchased the Tourmaster Defender 2 Piece suit (high-vis yellow). I have ridden 3 or 4 times now in precipitation ranging from mist to torrential downpour and have not had one drop of water touch my clothing or skin. The quality of the jacket is superb, love the zippers and additional velcro closures. I have fears that the material is pretty thin on the pants, but only time will tell how they hold up, no problems so far. As mentioned above the jacket and pants fold up pretty small and fit in their own stuff sack for storage on the bike.

Thank you for the recommendations.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflynbrd View Post
I've tried several over the years and the Coleman rainsuit at Walmart is my final choice. If something happens to this one I'll just buy another one.
+1. After getting sick of my lightweight breathable expensive Patagonia rain gear soaking through (meant to be walked in, not ridden in) I picked up a $28 Coleman rain suit from Target the other day. Breathable? Nope. Hot as hell? Yep. Dry as a bone in it? Totally. There may be better options, but not near that price...

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM

I ride with Wild Things pants and jacket - they're solid, durable and have the best articulation of any rain pants I've worn. If you go to their store in North Conway, NH, they have a lot of stuff on sale super cheap.

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/

OD Green/Black 08 Versys: R1 Shock/RoadStar spring-Baldwin Gel Saddle-Stainless Lines-Ferodo Pads-Arrow Can-Givi Screen-12V Outlet-Happy Trails Panniers-OEM Top Case/SW Motech Top Rack-HB Crash Bars-SuperSprox 44T-Frame Sliders-Spools-Oxford Grip Heaters-Barkbusters-HealTech Gear Indicator-PIAA Horn-Doubletake Mirrors-Voltage Meter-Oil Temp Gauge-PB Hugger-Lowered Pegs-Flatfoot-Michelin Pilot Road 2-Debadged-30k miles
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Can't say enough about my medium wieght 2 piece frog togs. The jacket is flourescent green with piping. No wind or rain get through and they breath.
I think I paid somewhere between 50 and 60 bucks for mine shipped.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 PM

If you have the money buy a Rukka suit, you'll never worry about the weather ever again (ok maybe a bit when it's above 30C and you get stuck in traffic, they due offer ventilated models but its like 2000$ just for the jacket, so cheaper to get their base jacket and a mesh jacket for hot days). If not, in the past I had a Rhino suit that was like 80$ for jacket and pants and was 100% waterproof, was made out of a kind of PVC, doesnt breath but unless it's very hot, it will keep you as dry as can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode