Looking for new jacket - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By JackImpact
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Looking for new jacket

I'm in the market for a new jacket. Currently favoring the FirstGear Kilimanjaro (in hi vis yellow). Like the idea of providing your own mid layer and a breathable/waterproof/windproof all purpose shell like Gore Tex. Seems like an affordable version of the Klim Latitude. Concern is the hot weather venting is limited although I have a mesh jacket for summer. My primary use will be just above freezing (with heated liner) to 25C. How is D3O armor in cold weather? Does it stiffen up or stop working? How breathable is the "37.5" membrane compared to the Gore Tex? Other jackets I should look at?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...manjaro-jacket

Last edited by twowheels; 01-10-2018 at 05:19 PM.
twowheels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Member
 
Rob9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Can't answer the fabric questions. But as far as other jackets I can say that I've been pretty happy with my Hi Viz Bilt Explorer jacket from Cycle Gear (on sale for $199 now).

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
Rob9876 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:22 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,593
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have an older style Kilimanjaro Jacket. I got it on sale one winter from Motorcycle Superstore for $99.00 shipped. Great jacket for bad weather, rain,cold. I rode with it through the desert and had no issues. The inner jacket it came with is very nice. I've never used both of them together. I usually ride with a mesh jacket here in SoCal. But when the weather turns bad i pull out the Kilimanjaro..

highres_174525742 copy by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Member
 
Doug Just Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
For the $400 cost of a new Kili, I'd be searching the second-hand market for an Aerostich Darien, which is Goretex, waterproof, has very effective and simple venting, and is repairable by Aerostich. Nothing at all against the Kili (I have several friends who like them very much) but just something to consider.
16VGTIDave likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
Doug Just Doug is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:40 AM
Member
 
Indelibility's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I picked up an Icon Raiden DKR jacket on clearance for $207 a few weeks back and this jacket is perfect! I highly recommend it, waterproof, full venting and a suite of D3O armor.

https://www.motosport.com/icon-raiden-dkr-jacket
Indelibility is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,693
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm in the market for a new jacket. Currently favoring the FirstGear Kilimanjaro (in hi vis yellow). Like the idea of providing your own mid layer and a breathable/waterproof/windproof all purpose shell like Gore Tex. Seems like an affordable version of the Klim Latitude. Concern is the hot weather venting is limited although I have a mesh jacket for summer. My primary use will be just above freezing (with heated liner) to 25C. How is D3O armor in cold weather? Does it stiffen up or stop working? How breathable is the "37.5" membrane compared to the Gore Tex? Other jackets I should look at?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...manjaro-jacket
I have TWO Kilimanjaro jackets (in BC and in AZ), and I've used then W/ and w/out the inner jacket, as well as w/ a heated jacket liner. Rode cross-Canada last summer wearing it, in HOT, COLD, and wet (under rain-gear, as I did not want to have to dry it out during the LONG ride). Pic was taken 06 August.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8061640copy.jpg (359.2 KB, 52 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm in the market for a new jacket. Currently favoring the FirstGear Kilimanjaro (in hi vis yellow). Like the idea of providing your own mid layer and a breathable/waterproof/windproof all purpose shell like Gore Tex. Seems like an affordable version of the Klim Latitude. Concern is the hot weather venting is limited although I have a mesh jacket for summer. My primary use will be just above freezing (with heated liner) to 25C. How is D3O armor in cold weather? Does it stiffen up or stop working? How breathable is the "37.5" membrane compared to the Gore Tex? Other jackets I should look at?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...manjaro-jacket
I have D30 in my Rukka and love it. very comfortable yet tons on protection. I did not find it stiff in high 40's Fahrenheit. never had it in super cold.

Other jacket I thought looked good is Olympia Ranger currently on clearance at Revzilla. For jackets with built-in liners make sure have direct venting for warmer weather. the laminate construction ones and some of the floating liners do. Air gets to body not just between outer layer and rain liner.
JRW2007 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,593
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
They have a few sizes left in this...https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ampaign=buyers

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Considering the Klim Latitude now it is on clearance. Anyone have one of these?

Last edited by twowheels; 01-12-2018 at 06:52 PM.
twowheels is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,101
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
KLIM Lattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Considering the Klim Latitude now it is on clearance. Anyone have one of these?
Yes, got it on close out at Twisted Throttle Canada, when they shut their showroom down. I have had the Olympia 3 season jacket for 3 years, the KLIM is a whole new concept to me, back to layering, it is waterproof and is about half the weight of the 3 season jacket. Only had about 4 rides with it, extremely well made and fits me extremely well, many adjustments for when riding with the layers removed or added.I tried on 2 sizes , in the end I went for the slightly larger size, once I realized there was adjustments.
onewizard is online now  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Member
 
16VGTIDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Drumbo, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I ride in all temps and all weather, as long as the roads are clear of snow/ice/sand. I've ridden in blizzards and been chased by funnel clouds. Yes, I'm THAT guy you saw and shook your head at. I have also been found riding a friend's bike around on a frozen lake at -35C (-31F). I have 2 Aerostich jackets. A Darien that is 18 years old, and a custom made Roadcrafter that is 8 years old. Neither are stylish, but they do exactly what they are supposed to do. The Darien was bought (used) for extreme cold weather use and sized for layering. The Roadcrafter is my goto street jacket with a trim fit and worn early spring through late fall.

I only cried when I paid for them, it's been smiles since then. They just work. If I had to choose just one, it would be a tough decision, but I would opt for the Darien due to it's versatility.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
16VGTIDave is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Yes, got it on close out at Twisted Throttle Canada, when they shut their showroom down. I have had the Olympia 3 season jacket for 3 years, the KLIM is a whole new concept to me, back to layering, it is waterproof and is about half the weight of the 3 season jacket. Only had about 4 rides with it, extremely well made and fits me extremely well, many adjustments for when riding with the layers removed or added.I tried on 2 sizes , in the end I went for the slightly larger size, once I realized there was adjustments.
Thanks for the input. Tried one on locally this morning and very impressed. For me venting and the gore tex was big draw. I know from wearing Gore Tex ski jacket and motorcycle boots it makes a significant difference in tempature regulation. It lets perspiration evaporate so you don't overheat as easily or get clammy or damp but it still provides a wind barrier so you don't cool off any faster in cold weather. Gore also has a lifetime guarantee too. Price is discounted 40% at Revzilla right now, local shop would not discount at all. Purchased one online this morning from Revzilla. Blue is all they have left except in fringe sizes like XXL and S.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-13-2018 at 02:23 PM.
twowheels is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 06:20 PM
Member
 
AMA213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9876 View Post
Can't answer the fabric questions. But as far as other jackets I can say that I've been pretty happy with my Hi Viz Bilt Explorer jacket from Cycle Gear (on sale for $199 now).
Not owned a Kili yet. My goto has always been the JR ballistic 3/4 series. Haven't heard any bad about the Bilt Explorers. Friend just got one in black for Christmas. Likes it alot. -Scott

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750
AMA213 is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Ordered a FirstGear Kilimanjaro and returned before I got the Klim on clearance for only a little more. If the Klim Latitude was not on clearance I would have settled for the Kilimanjaro given the normal price difference. The Kilimanjaro looks like a great jacket and is very light weight. Only issue is main body uses a very light brushed nylon about the same weight and type you would find in a ski jacket. The only abrasion resistant fabric it uses is heavier 440D nylon that covers the shoulders and elbows. I think you would get all your abrasion protection from the armor in this jacket. Very well made and designed. Has better designed collar than Klim.

Compared to the FirstGear Kilimanjaro the Klim Latitude uses the exact same D3O armor and has a similar overall design. The two main differences are the Klim uses a breathable Gore Tex wind/water membrane vs a clone brand breathable membrane and the Klim is made of heavier and probably much more abrasion resistant material. 440D nylon vs 800D Cordura in the sleeves and 200D nylon vs 500D Misano fabric in the body.

Having left it in the trunk of the car at -15C I notice the D30 armor becomes both rigid and fragile (if you try and bend it it will crack) at this tempature.
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-18-2018 at 06:56 PM.
twowheels is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,693
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
... at -15C I notice the D30 armor becomes both rigid and fragile (if you try and bend it it will crack) at this tempature.
Suggest you DON'T get D30 armor for ice-racing....


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Suggest you DON'T get D30 armor for ice-racing....
No ice racing but i did remove armor and have used as winter jacket for hiking with polar fleece under layer. It works well by preventing perspiration buildup when you exert yourself so you don't then freeze when you pause. Was warm for 2 hours at -15C snow shoeing as long as I stayed out of wind and kept active.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-22-2018 at 09:16 PM.
twowheels is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
review

I have been so impressed with the Latitude I decided to write an extended review. As a point of comparison I previously/currently own/owned perforated leather, mesh cordura and other vented all season adventure style jackets. It is hard to beat mesh gear for a heat wave or slow big city commuting in the heat, but for everything else my Klim Latitude is now my go to jacket. I've used it in everything from 30C to 0C and heavy rain. The gore tex, waterproof, vented shell with a bring your own inner layer design seems to work really well and is flexible enough to work well in different conditions.

I bought the Klim jacket mainly on reputation as it is hard to judge performance under use just trying an item like this on in the store. In particular it fixes all the niggles I had with previous jackets, some of which I did not even realize were problems until they were fixed.

Namely it provides breath-ability with the Gore Tex causing it to remain dry in the heat and during physical exertion to better regulate temperature and increase comfort. It is highly effective at promoting air circulation under the jacket with the vents in the heat - better than other vented jackets I have owned. Highly effective in cold weather and with layering, again better than other jackets that do this as well. It totally eliminates the flapping collar every jacket has when it is open in the heat with a simple collar retention system but has the right height adjustable collar for the cold that also works with the collar on my heated liner. It has low ingress/egress effort unlike previous jackets that required 5 min to do up all the Velcro, snaps and zippers. Like a lightweight rain jacket it is very quick drying and totally waterproof for extended periods in driving rain. It does not leak cold air through the vent zippers in cold weather which is an issue with many jackets no matter how insulated they are. It fixes all these faults. After you wear the jacket in adverse conditions it becomes apparent someone spent a lot of time refining these features. The Gore Tex works as advertised allowing moisture to evaporate while not allowing the ingress of moisture or cold and has a lifetime guarantee. In effect it has a positive effect on temperature regulation by keeping you cooler in the heat by better letting sweat evaporate but also keeping you warmer in the cold due to the elimination of dampness - why it is so popular in other sportswear like ski and outdoor wear.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-29-2018 at 08:27 PM.
twowheels is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I have been so impressed with the Latitude I decided to write an extended review. As a point of comparison I previously/currently own/owned perforated leather, mesh cordura and other vented all season adventure style jackets. It is hard to beat mesh gear for a heat wave or slow big city commuting in the heat, but for everything else my Klim Latitude is now my go to jacket. I've used it in everything from 30C to 0C and heavy rain. The gore tex, waterproof, vented shell with a bring your own inner layer design seems to work really well and is flexible enough to work well in different conditions.

I bought the Klim jacket mainly on reputation as it is hard to judge performance under use just trying an item like this on in the store. In particular it fixes all the niggles I had with previous jackets, some of which I did not even realize were problems until they were fixed.

Namely it provides breath-ability with the Gore Tex causing it to remain dry in the heat and during physical exertion to better regulate temperature and increase comfort. It is highly effective at promoting air circulation under the jacket with the vents in the heat - better than other vented jackets I have owned. Highly effective in cold weather and with layering, again better than other jackets that do this as well. It totally eliminates the flapping collar every jacket has when it is open in the heat with a simple collar retention system but has the right height adjustable collar for the cold that also works with the collar on my heated liner. It has low ingress/egress effort unlike previous jackets that required 5 min to do up all the Velcro, snaps and zippers. Like a lightweight rain jacket it is very quick drying and totally waterproof for extended periods in driving rain. It does not leak cold air through the vent zippers in cold weather which is an issue with many jackets no matter how insulated they are. It fixes all these faults. After you wear the jacket in adverse conditions it becomes apparent someone spent a lot of time refining these features. The Gore Tex works as advertised allowing moisture to evaporate while not allowing the ingress of moisture or cold and has a lifetime guarantee. In effect it has a positive effect on temperature regulation by keeping you cooler in the heat by better letting sweat evaporate but also keeping you warmer in the cold due to the elimination of dampness - why it is so popular in other sportswear like ski and outdoor wear.
Why did I even look in this stupid thread. Now I just want a new jacket.
Devilsfan likes this.
JackImpact is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 AM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
keep in mind that the hip length jackets can bunch up compared to a waist jacket with a longer tail.

This is my go to kit for touring in cooler weather. With the vents I am good up to 80 degrees on a bike with air flow.

Olympia Phantom One piece, you can wear shorts and a T-shirt under it if you want. Unfortunately, this suit is no longer made. But I would definitely look at Olympia products.

Olympia makes quality riding gear that is very durable.

Shell/Liner:
Outer shell constructed of 500 and 2000 denier DuPont Cordura
Waterproof/breathable membrane adds double waterproof protection
Thermolite insulated full-length zip-in waterproof suit liner
Double storm placket front closure
Cool mesh airflow lining
Custom fit detailing at collar, cuffs, elbows, waist and bottom hem
Comfort neoprene collar and neck inserts
Armor/Safety:

Removable CE Motion Flex armor at shoulders, elbows and knees
Removable CE Motion Flex articulated back armor
Removable foam hip pads
3M Scotchlite reflective piping at front, sides and back
Ventilation:
Airflow Ventilation System at chest, arms and back
Fold-up pocket flaps with lock-down slide buckle straps create adjustable airflow
Shoulder to forearm venting creates maximum airflow
Pockets:

Waterproof rear storage pocket
8 storage pockets total for huge carrying capacity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140528_174556_673.jpg (31.0 KB, 15 views)

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the original version of this jacket:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...dakar-2-jacket

It is a good jacket! However, you can tell where the lower price comes from when you have it next to something like the Klim Latitude, REVIT Neptune or something Dianese. The goretex is probably the huge difference there. Its a good jacket for sure! There is better though, if you are willing to pay.
JackImpact is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome