Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1Likes
  • 1 Post By packmann

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone use the Givi TankLock system?

Hey guys,

I have a lot of GIVI products on my bike so far and have little complains (except how easily some of the bags scratch), and am looking into the Givi tanklock bags.

I have a magnetic tank bag, but after seeing what it did to my beautiful CBR (prior to this bike), I really want to stay away from anything scratching the tank up.

So I was looking at a lot of the Tank Lock systems, mainly SWM and Givi. I really hate the look of the SWM when the bag is off, the connection system is huge compared to the givi, so I am leaning more towards the GIVI. However, I would love to get some peoples perspective of how they like theirs and which tanklock bag they have.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM

GIVI bag experience

I recently purchased and installed a GIVI TPH-02 tank bag and tank lock mount system. While the tank bag is relatively small (I actually prefer it small) it is extremely easy to install and detach. The tank lock mount system keeps the bag perched above the tank, so no scratches. The fastening mechanism holds firmly. The quick release works flawlessly when I either decide not to use the bag or stop for fuel. The black mounting ring looks acceptably good when not using the bag, it fits over the fuel filler door retainer ring and uses three flush mount bolts that replace three of the original bolts.
The bag is designed with a plastic window above the internal cell phone pocket. My iPhone would fit in that internal pocket if I removed it from its OtterBox case, but because it's paired with my Zumo GPS, I don't have to see the phone when I'm riding. The tank bag also has a removable internal tray for sunglasses storage. I also always use my GIVI Monokey V46 top case to store my helmet and valuables when I stop, so the tank bag is really for storing things (glove liners, wallet, cell phone, etc) to which I have access while still sitting on the bike.[IMG]http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p578/Packmann9
/th_83f4ed2b.jpg[/IMG]

The GIVI tank bag has semi rigid sides and top, so it keeps it's shape well. This presents a minor problem with clearance for bars and my GPS mount. I have Speedy's bar risers and my GPS is in a Tourtech anti vibration cradle on a Ram mount, attached to the plate above the bar riser. I had to adjust the GPS somewhat forward so that it would clear the tank bag when I turn the bars lock to lock.
Is the T489 larger in capacity, height, forward projection from the tank lock ring?
bgw likes this.

Last edited by packmann; 09-07-2012 at 05:39 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmann View Post
I recently purchased and installed a GIVI TPH-02 tank bag and tank lock mount system. While the tank bag is relatively small (I actually prefer it small) it is extremely easy to install and detach. The tank lock mount system keeps the bag perched above the tank, so no scratches. The fastening mechanism holds firmly. The quick release works flawlessly when I either decide not to use the bag or stop for fuel. The black mounting ring looks acceptably good when not using the bag, it fits over the fuel filler door retainer ring and uses three flush mount bolts that replace three of the original bolts.
The bag is designed with a plastic window above the internal cell phone pocket. My iPhone would fit in that internal pocket if I removed it from its OtterBox case, but because it's paired with my Zumo GPS, I don't have to see the phone when I'm riding. The tank bag also has a removable internal tray for sunglasses storage. I also always use my GIVI Monokey V46 top case to store my helmet and valuables when I stop, so the tank bag is really for storing things (glove liners, wallet, cell phone, etc) to which I have access while still sitting on the bike.
The GIVI tank bag has semi rigid sides and top, so it keeps it's shape well. This presents a minor problem with clearance for bars and my GPS mount. I have Speedy's bar risers and my GPS is in a Tourtech anti vibration cradle on a Ram mount, attached to the plate above the bar riser. I had to adjust the GPS somewhat forward so that it would clear the tank bag when I turn the bars lock to lock. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Pictures would be awesome. I think I am sold on the idea as most people say it is awesome. I think my selection is more around which bag as the price difference between them is minimal.

I was originally thinking of getting the T489 TANKLOCK.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by packmann View Post
I recently purchased and installed a GIVI TPH-02 tank bag and tank lock mount system. While the tank bag is relatively small (I actually prefer it small) it is extremely easy to install and ...
Nice setup

Very clean

Was wondering if the tank ring connector comes with the other part of this system ???
My real question is, can you buy that system and install it with another brand/model of tankbag ?

LOP
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 AM
VOz

I have the SWMotech with the Engage bag with the 12V connection. Can not live without this. As for how the ring looks with the bag off, I can not see the problem and when is the bag ever off anyway?

From memory it is a 7L bag. Not waterproof but comes with a cover that lives in the front or rear zipper compartment. It has an easy to reach drawstring that pulls out a pin to release and fitting it very easy.

It does not foul on the bars and I can turn lock to lock. It also has a phone holder/viewer window on top and the 12V wiring just needs a 12V car socket attached, I love this bag.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/co...typid=74498845
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swmbagt1.jpg (62.5 KB, 1472 views)
File Type: jpg swmbagt2.jpg (49.7 KB, 1037 views)
File Type: jpg swmbagt3.jpg (71.4 KB, 3820 views)

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650

Last edited by VOz; 09-10-2012 at 09:48 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both!

I decided to go with the Givi setup. I ordered the medium sized bag T489 as anticiapted but now really worried about the size after seeing how the TPH02 looks...

I really didnt want the SW Bag Connection style because I dont anticipate having the tank bag on all the time nor did I want the wire on the tank all the time.

For power I have my cig lighter anyway.

I appreciate the input. I will post pictures once I get it installed (wednesday night).

Farkles:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Which model mount works for the Versys? The options on Motorcycle Superstore for 2009 Kawasaki are ER-6n, Ninja 650R or ZX-6R. I'm guessing the ER-6n mount would work on the Versys?

-Melissa

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R - Sold
2010 BMW F800ST
2009 Kawasaki Versys
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM

I've got a Givi XS308 on my '09, and an XS307 coming in for when I need a little smaller bag. Very easy to use.

I used the BF04 mounting ring on mine with no issues.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Thank you both!

I decided to go with the Givi setup. I ordered the medium sized bag T489 as anticiapted but now really worried about the size after seeing how the TPH02 looks...

I really didnt want the SW Bag Connection style because I dont anticipate having the tank bag on all the time nor did I want the wire on the tank all the time.

For power I have my cig lighter anyway.

I appreciate the input. I will post pictures once I get it installed (wednesday night).
Hey naudan,

Do you have any pictures of your T489 on your bike? I just ordered this bag and mount for my new-to-me 09 Versys. Now that I've ordered the bag, I'm worried it won't fit the bike or it'll cripple my bike's turning capabilities.

-Melissa

2010 BMW F800ST
2009 Kawasaki Versys
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbourg View Post
Hey naudan,

Do you have any pictures of your T489 on your bike? I just ordered this bag and mount for my new-to-me 09 Versys. Now that I've ordered the bag, I'm worried it won't fit the bike or it'll cripple my bike's turning capabilities.
I will try to snap some photos for you. I can say that you need to have it in the 'back most' position (which moves it closer to your body) because the bag is big. It does stop the handlebars from locking all the way, but only by a little bit. I really only use mine for 'long' trips, like camping trips or long highway trips where I need the extra cargo room.

Other than limiting the motion a little bit, it is a really really nice bag, and it's super easy to put on/ take off. I may even consider buying a smaller givi bag in the future as you can get the smaller ones for around $70-80.

Farkles:

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Got the T489 bag in today and it's pretty ugly on the bike. And after I installed it on my bike, I read motorcycle-superstore's return policy. Oops. Guess I'm stuck with this bag. Nice bag but just doesn't look right on the Versys and although the bike is rideable, there is definite handlebar interference.

-Melissa

2010 BMW F800ST
2009 Kawasaki Versys
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflax925 View Post
I've got a Givi XS308 on my '09, and an XS307 coming in for when I need a little smaller bag. Very easy to use.

I used the BF04 mounting ring on mine with no issues.
I have been looking at the XS307. How is the fitment?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbourg View Post
Got the T489 bag in today and it's pretty ugly on the bike. And after I installed it on my bike, I read motorcycle-superstore's return policy. Oops. Guess I'm stuck with this bag. Nice bag but just doesn't look right on the Versys and although the bike is rideable, there is definite handlebar interference.
Are you looking to sell it? Does it have a clear map/ gps pouch?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:01 PM

Givi Tanklock 3D604

I thought I would add this here since I couldn't find much info on it. I bought the GIVI 3D604 here it is on the bike:

It's a little large, but I think it fits the bike pretty well. The handle bars don't touch and I'm able to see the tach. I am 6'4" though so I'm not do sure for the vertically challenged. At 15 L, I can basically fit everything I need in there: Rain cover, heated gloves, cell phone, wallet, keys, water bottle, and camera whith a lot of room left over.

Some Pictures of the inside:

I really like that the phone pocket fits my Nexus 5 and isn't just for the Iphone.

I haven't used it much yet but some some quick notes:
- I really like the Tanklock System, it makes bringing a tank bag nice and easy and is pretty unobtrusive when the bag is off the bike
- The bottom part of the tank lock bag is plastic, probably great for the road but I'd be weary of the durability off road, although it might be fine as Givi stuff seems to get pretty good reviews.
- I think the tablet attachment that comes with the bike is pretty useless. It's not waterproof and not really in a good position to be checking maps.
- Some of the websites say waterproof zippers but I don't think that's the case. I had a waterproof tank bag before so I'll see how annoying it is to put the waterproof cover on all the time.

I'll do a more thorough review after I've put some miles on it.

Jeff
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klazsick View Post

It's a little large, but I think it fits the bike pretty well. The handle bars don't touch and I'm able to see the tach. I am 6'4" though so I'm not do sure for the vertically challenged. At 15 L, I can basically fit everything I need in there: Rain cover, heated gloves, cell phone, wallet, keys, water bottle, and camera whith a lot of room left over.

S
Jeff
It's a little large for running around town but on a longer tour I think it would work fine.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypper View Post
I have been looking at the XS307. How is the fitment?
Well I tried the Givi 3D603, unfortunately the positioning of the bag's locking ring can't be adjusted, I found it interfered with my stock handlebar mounting, especially with the controller for the factory heated grips.

Props to Revzilla about being cool about returns. Back it went.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode