AeroStich - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
AeroStich

I went up to AeroStich in Duluth, MN again today to look at their jackets.

At 6'-4, 170 it is tough to find a jacket that fits well, but after trying on most of what they make I decided on a Darien. The longer cut of the coat makes the torso long enough and I am having a couple inches added to the sleeves. I got it in the high-viz and I think it is going to be great jacket for me.

I tried the Roadcrafter but the jacket was just too short of a cut for someone of my height. I also tried on the Transit and it felt great but again, just a little too short for me.

I was also looking for a set of over-pants and found that the A.D.1 fit very well and were easy to get on and off. Again, no stock size to fit so they are adding a total of 3 inches to them.

I am very fortunate that AeroStich is only about an hour away so I can actually go try their gear and make sure it will fit just the way I want it to.

They said delivery time would be about three weeks, not bad for needing both pieces to be altered.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks of them, but I was very impressed by both their gear and their service. It's not cheap by any means, but I feel it is well worth it.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 08-23-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:03 AM

I have been there as well. Very neat place to visit and their items are top notch.

2008 Red Versys 16k miles
*Givi Windscreen*SW-Motech Evo Rack*Seahorse 720 Cases*Seat Concepts Seat*HID Headlight

1975 Honda CB200T
1976 Volkswagen Bus
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Wish I could have gone in person but the CS over the phone was top notch and talked me through getting my Roadcrafter measurements perfect.

Suit fit great.....!

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 PM

Garage
I really wish I would have visited the Aerostich store when I was living in Minnesota.

Regardless of that I just purchased a pair of AD1 pants! I got custom sized pants after trying on my friends AD1's I realized that I still needed longer pants. The rep I was in contact with was excellent, I sent her a picture of me with my friends pants on. She quickly decided I needed an additional 2" of length above the knee. I can't wait for the delivery day!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 PM

I like Aerostich a lot. Great products and good people. They know what a touring-adventure rider needs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I just wanted to give a quick update:

I got the call from AeroStich that my Darien Jacket and AD1 pants were ready to be picked up. I took off work just a bit early and rode the hour over to Duluth, MN to the factory to get them.

First impressions are that they are VERY high quality pieces of riding gear and if I ever go down I'm going to be glad I have them on.

Both the Jacket and the Pants fit very well (alterations were made when I ordered them) and the Jacket has a several well placed straps to make sure it fits properly. The Jacket also has more pockets than I will ever be able to use or keep track of what I put where. The Jacket is still pretty stiff and is obviously going to take some time to break in and soften up a bit. Guess I will just have do some more riding right?

The Pants are designed as an over-pant and go on pretty well, even with boots on. I had my bulkier Carhart pants on today, and it had to pull the legs of my jeans down just a bit once I got the AD1's on, but they fit very well, don't bunch up the jeans while riding, and have a very good overall feel to them

It was cooling down outside when I turned for home (mid 50's and cloudy) and with just a sweatshirt and the Jacket on I was a bit cool when I finished riding the long way home. That being said, I think that means the Jacket will be cool enough to wear most of the summer and AeroStich makes a fleece liner (and electric liner) that I am sure will make a big difference. I didn't get a liner yet, as I have several fleece jackets that I can wear under the Jacket.

I can put up some pictures if anyone wants, just let me know. The Hi-Viz is definitely bright. Bright enough in fact that my riding buddy joked "how often do you have to change the batteries in that thing"

Mitch

I also took the chance to look at several of their Tank Bags while I was there. They let me grab 3-4 of them, go out to my bike and check how they would fit. I think the Wolfman Explorer Lite is going on my to-get list. It fits the tank very well and should hold everything I want in there.

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 09-13-2012 at 09:38 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 05:44 AM
djg

Did you sit on the Ascot "hobby horse"?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Did you sit on the Ascot "hobby horse"?
I sure did

I did 825 miles this past weekend with the jacket and pants on and my opinion hasn't changed, I'm still very happy with them.
Didn't see any extreme temp changes (45-80) and didn't have any rain, but both the jacket and pants have softened up a little. I'm sure it will take a few more miles to fully break them in but I think I'm up for it.
The jacket is definitely bright and shows up very well while riding. It's certainly no guarantee other drives will see you, and it is no substitute for alert, defensive driving, but I do feel it helps.

Mitch
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:29 PM

I have a one-piece Roadcrafter I'm looking to get rid of. It's awesome, I just rarely wear it here in San Diego and it's just a bit small for me too. It's all grey with black knees, shoulders, etc...Standard reflective material in all the normal places. All velcro pockets and zippers work fine. Never crashed, no holes, etc...Size is 40S(short) and would likely fit someone in the 5'5"-5'8", 130lbs.-160lbs. category.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode