Heated Gear Advice - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Heated Gear Advice

I live in Upstate New York where this time of year we see some very cold temps. I am thinking of investing in some heated gear (already have heated grips on my bike). What brands do you suggest? Does the gear go on sale when it starts getting warmer?

I try to ride all Winter as long as it is not snowing or there is ice on the road. My commute to work is only 25 minutes each way, but I would like to take some longer rides on the weekends.

Any information you all could share would be great!

Thanks.

Keep the rubber on the road and be safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:00 PM

Garage
A heated jacket or vest is fantastic. I would skip on the gloves though since they tend to be bulky, get a good pair of insulated and waterproof gloves instead. The Hotwired gear from Cycle Gear is reasonable and performs well.

They rarely go on sale, even in the summer.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the input. Don't like the fact that they don't go on sale.

Keep the rubber on the road and be safe!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Used

I got lucky and found a used Gerbing jacket for 25% of new, washed it and it is like new. What a difference, usually run around 6 out of a 10 max. , if at freezing sometimes 7, heated jacket usually is used only below 45'F
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcenter67 View Post
Thanks for the input. Don't like the fact that they don't go on sale.
If you can wait, good used heated gear appears regularly on Ebay. That's where I got mine (Gerbing jacket liner and gloves).

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 12-18-2017 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Typo: vest should have been jacket liner
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Get the jacket - NOT the vest

because...... the connection jacks for heated gloves are at the end of the sleeves on the jacket.

Be sure to get a controller with a rotary dial and not "on/off" or "high/low/off". Some jackets come with a controller. Some DO NOT. Pay attention. lol

Gerbings are now made in China - along with most of the others - and the quality among the major players is about the same.

Get the 12 volt kind that plugs into a harness on your motorcycle.

Here's a closeout on my favorite heated 12V gloves

Tour Master Synergy 2.0 Heated Textile Gloves :: MotorcycleGear.com
We have Gerbings and also Tourmaster Synergy jackets. The Tourmaster jackets have a bit more insulation and less "hot-spotting" than the Gerbings - in the versions that we have. A friend of ours has the "First Gear" and "Warm and Safe" stuff and it also appears to work just fine.

Here's an EBay link to a closeout on a Warm & Safe XL jacket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Close-out-o...JaExy5&vxp=mtr
Booger Man likes this.

No matter where you go - there you are.

Last edited by kballowe; 12-18-2017 at 09:53 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 AM

I use the Warm n Safe jacket liner and controllers.....good stuff and if you are a member of the AMA and/or several other groups you will get a discount. At times, there are close outs on some of the gear. I bought a pair of new Gerbing heated gloves (have no idea who owned the company at the time) and they work great without being too bulky. You can find heated gloves that are thinner.

I ride all year weather permitting, and have also installed the Symtec Heat Demonheated grip liners on my Versys-X 300.

Warm & Safe, the Home of the Warmest Clothing in the Universe
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Gordon's Heat Controller

FYI

I use a Gordon's Heat Controller.

IMHO it is MUCH easier to use with my gloves on, etc. than a dial controller.

I have it fastened on the exterior of my riding jacket in order to be able to change settings while riding.

This heat controller has 5 settings.

It is waterproof and virtually bulletproof. I have had no problems with it out in the elements.

I just shuffle slower.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 05:11 PM

I use venture heated jacket liner. Works very well. cost about $150. It has H-M-and low. It has heated front, back, sleeves, and collar. The only complaint was that the controller is inside the jacket, which means you have to unzip the jacket to change heat settings. I put velcro on the back of the controller and the top of the gas tank. now the controller sits on top of the gas tank. easy to change temp while riding. One thing to remember (and you will forget sometimes) Unplug the jacket before getting off the bike.
http://www.jafrum.com/shop-by-brand/...cycle-jacket-2

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 12-18-2017 at 09:08 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
I live in Upstate New York where this time of year we see some very cold temps. I am thinking of investing in some heated gear (already have heated grips on my bike). What brands do you suggest? Does the gear go on sale when it starts getting warmer?

I try to ride all Winter as long as it is not snowing or there is ice on the road. My commute to work is only 25 minutes each way, but I would like to take some longer rides on the weekends.

Thanks.
I'm just north of you in Ottawa so I'm not sure how you can ride all year. It gets dangerous once the temp drops much below freezing as you can slippery frost and ice on the road that is impossible to see.

As for gear I would recommend a full sleeve liner rather than a vest. Why? Because you can replace the liner in your jacket with a full sleeve liner but not a vest liner. It will also keep you neck and arms warm with heating elements in both. DON'T consider self powered gear as it does not produce enough heat for a motorcycle with 60mph of wind chill. You need 12v gear that plugs in on a bike. You will probably also appreciate a set of waterproof motorcycle gloves in the cold weather with your heated grips as they keep the cold air out. I have Gerbings and it is OK. Tourmaster is cheapest as it includes the heat controller but may not be the best performing. A heated liner needs to fit tight over just a long sleeve t-shirt to efficiently transfer the heat to your body. If you want to wear insulation too, wear it over the liner. Not all heated gear is the same. The better quality stuff has larger areas of heating elements, it gets warm in more places, and may contain more insulation.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-18-2017 at 10:32 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm just north of you in Ottawa so I'm not sure how you can ride all year. It gets dangerous once the temp drops much below freezing as you can slippery frost and ice on the road that is impossible to see.

As for gear I would recommend a full sleeve liner rather than a vest. Why? Because you can replace the liner in your jacket with a full sleeve liner but not a vest liner. It will also keep you neck and arms warm with heating elements in both. DON'T consider self powered gear as it does not produce enough heat for a motorcycle with 60mph of wind chill. You need 12v gear that plugs in on a bike. You will probably also appreciate a set of waterproof motorcycle gloves in the cold weather with your heated grips as they keep the cold air out. I have Gerbings and it is OK. Tourmaster is cheapest as it includes the heat controller but may not be the best performing. A heated liner needs to fit tight over just a long sleeve t-shirt to efficiently transfer the heat to your body. If you want to wear insulation too, wear it over the liner. Not all heated gear is the same. The better quality stuff has larger areas of heating elements, it gets warm in more places, and may contain more insulation.
I pretty-much agree w/ twowheels' post. I have TWO Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket-liners (1 each in BC and AZ), one is the Mk 1 the other is the Mk 2. The ONLY problem I've had w/ them has been OCCASIONALLY the power to the heating elements goes OFF due to the type of connectors they use - aprox. 1/4" male/ female ones. I've found that by gently rotating them a bit, back-and-forth, they again make contact, and BTW - my Mk 1 has a new controller supplied free by Tourmaster that approximates the Mk 2 one, and the mounting method (an elastic band that goes around your thigh) is the WEAK point. I'm now using an elastic belt which (at least) stays ON.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:41 AM

Garage
Several years back when I first purchased my heated gear I ordered both the Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner and the Gerbing's microwire model. As such I could plug them both in and compare side by side. Returned the Tourmaster and kept the Gerbings. It should be noted the jacket models I compared have been superseded with newer models from each manufactuer. The two big differences were the amount of heat the Gerbings produced was significantly greater and it had better insulation. It had a much larger area of heating elements and heated more of the upper body and did it more evenly. It also used Thinsulate on the front vs Polyester fill on the Tourmaster although neither had any significant insulation all over. The Gerbings was also more expensive though when you included the purchase of a separate temp controller. The big advantage for me with the Gerbings is the lifetime warranty which I have used twice. Not sure if Gerbings still offers this. Warm and Safe is another quality brand.

As FastEddie has stated the weak point of all heated gear IMO is the connectors. Most brands use the same coaxial connector plugs that can get flakey after a while with the high current. The Gerbings tech support person recommended using a small flat blade screw driver to on the middle terminal to split it more to increase contact pressure. You need to keep the power line plug on the bike clean too by making sure the cover is on it when not using the gear. Most of the connector issues for me have been with the cheap power tether connected to the bike. As such it has been easy to replace although it has needed replacement twice.
quexpress and Urbanengineer like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-19-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:48 PM

Powerlet Outlet

Quote:
You need to keep the power line plug on the bike clean too by making sure the cover is on it when not using the gear. Most of the connector issues for me have been with the cheap power tether connected to the bike. As such it has been easy to replace although it has needed replacement twice.
I use a Powerlet Outlet connector on mine.

Urbanengineer likes this.

I just shuffle slower.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post

I have to know about those forward foot pegs?

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:30 PM

Heated gear is the bomb! But riding in sub freezing temperatures exposes you to more than just the risk of being cold. Exercise good judgment before attempting to exercise your good skills. Getting back to the gear. Yes a jacket liner is better than a vest. Heated gloves are a compromise. Heated grips are good for the inside of your hands, but you will never forget them! Better to get good winter gloves and heated grips IMHO. Barkbusters or similar hand guards will keep a lot of the wind and rain off your hands. I've had hippo hands and they are just too restricting for me. Definitely use a powerless plug in and use a heat controller, not just the on/off switch. Best of luck!

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2linby View Post
I have to know about those forward foot pegs?
Motowerk's Highway Peg Mounts
2linby likes this.

I just shuffle slower.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 08:04 AM

Warm N Safe

Quote:

Thanks.
I use Warm n Safe. well made, great heat distribution and outstanding customer service. I highly recommend. They sell a jack to put on side of bike for clean, easy plug in. I recommend that as well.

Warm & Safe, the Home of the Warmest Clothing in the Universe

DC Coax Jack Panel Mount w/ 6in Coax Plug Cable - Warm & Safe Heated Gear, LLC

Jim
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...As FastEddie has stated the weak point of all heated gear IMO is the connectors. Most brands use the same coaxial connector plugs that can get flakey after a while with the high current. The Gerbings tech support person recommended using a small flat blade screw driver to on the middle terminal to split it more to increase contact pressure....
Thanks for the "heads-up" - I'm going out to 'spread' that contact now!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 02:17 PM

Garage
I have Tourmaster gloves and jacket..I have the pants also but I dont wear them, I prefer just good riding pants and Under Armor cold gear on the bottom .....I also have heated grips,IMHO you need heated gloves and heated grips to be really comfortable.

I've ridden in near zero temps with this gear and I was just fine.
quexpress and Booger Man like this.

2016 green V1K
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Merry Christmas! Under the tree this AM was a set of APOLLO Heated Grips (for my '08) which I look forward to getting installed!

Thanks for the "heads-up" weljo.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode