Dual-sport protective gear questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dual-sport protective gear questions

I'm going to approach my DS bike purchase a little differently than I did my commuting/traveling gear for the Versys. I'm going to buy it first because well its easier to get small protective gear purchases while I save up the cash for the DS motorcycle.

Anyway here is the question:

What gear can translate to dual sport riding and what needs to be added/changed/must have/nice to have?

My current commuter gear setup is as follows:

AFX DS-39 helmet (like the fit and venting for summer)
Tourmaster Transition Series III Jacket (3/4 length)
Firstgear Kathmandu Overpants
Firstgear Carbon Leather gloves (heated and wear them all year round no heat when hot)
Fly Milepost Sport Touring Boots

Thinking the first two major areas to update will be my pants and boots. I'm thinking also some chest armor/goggles as an addition. Maybe add in a jacket with a water bladder so I can hydrate easier? I have no idea what to look for or where to start.

I'm going with the assumption that I am going to get hit with branches/fall alot and the maximum amount of protection would be a REALLY good idea. Any suggestions on particular tried and tested gear would be helpful.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 AM

Evoshield compression shirt for rib protection. Motocross boots with some stiff ankle protection, something like Gaerne SG10.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Evoshield compression shirt for rib protection. Motocross boots with some stiff ankle protection, something like Gaerne SG10.
the sg10 are great. if you're standing on your pegs all day, you want a real motocross boot with a steel sole.

if you're going to ride in very dusty conditions, you want goggles to seal out your eyes, and a helmet that you can wear goggles with. if you get a ds helmet, be sure that you can fit goggles underneath the visor, something like the shoei hornet.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 PM

Something like the Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex Boot will do the trick. I just bought a pair and they look the goods. A mate with the same boot just finished a 7,000km adventure rally and he is very happy with them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:05 PM

Have a look here, guys who ride and have honest recommendations about stuff that works IMO.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/

Based mostly on their suggestions (and a little other research) i went with this stuff an am quite happy with all of it.

Gaerne GX-1

MSR reflex knee guards

Thor impact rig
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I'm going with the assumption that I am going to get hit with branches/fall alot and the maximum amount of protection would be a REALLY good idea. Any suggestions on particular tried and tested gear would be helpful.
I guess Iím reading in this that youíre planning a considerable amount of single track or other aggressive surface categories when you get your dualie? If so, a couple susceptible areas for injury in a fall you should consider are your neck and shoulder areas. Depending on the type of dual sport riding planned, I either wear my EVS RC1 Neck Roll or my EVS Revo 5 Chest Protector with its integrated RC2 Neck Roll. The Revo has good shoulder protection; looks like it may be discontinued on MCSS, there are other makes though. Anyway, thatís what I wear; you pick whatís right for you if you add this protection. Take a look at Leatt Collars to; pricy, but outstanding protection.

Another thing Iíll toss out related to off-road riding, which is purely my personal opinion, is to avoid using textile gear (like your Kathmandu overs). Why? Cuz theyíre a b!tch to clean. Theyíre expensive, every cleaning takes away their life and you canít put them in the washing machine. I use that stuff on the roads (I wear Alpinestar Long Range) and then build armor under cheap CycleGear mesh pants and jackets/jerseys for the dirty off road work.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Twitch. I'm not sure where/what I will be riding but I know I am not a technical off road rider so I would rather plan for the ouches than not. Great information thanks.

I have access to over ten acres of trails on my mother in law's property in Western Maryland that I can practice on. Some single track, some 4 wheeler trails and some paths. Good for practicing on in an area where not many people if any are. Yet close enough I can walk back to the house if need be. Once I feel I have a basic understanding I'll expand my area a bit.

Thanks everyone else keep them coming I'm really trying to figure out where to start and this helps. I've also been reading ride reports on advrider to get an idea of what people are wearing and how they hold up.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:20 PM

I had the MSR knee guards and they were too big and didnt breathe. My legs got sweaty! Eww!
I like the Fox Racing Titan Race Knee/Shin Guard.
The Thor impact rig is popular but I like when the chest armor isnt attached to the shoulder armor. I like the Acerbis Koerta better.
I also have the klim mojave jersey and pants, with klim padded shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Soild View Post
Have a look here, guys who ride and have honest recommendations about stuff that works IMO.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/

Based mostly on their suggestions (and a little other research) i went with this stuff an am quite happy with all of it.

MSR reflex knee guards

Thor impact rig

Last edited by RickySpanish; 08-24-2012 at 04:25 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
You got some GREAT suggestions for individual pieces of protective gear!

What I'd like to add (from years riding FIM enduros and SERIOUS dirt...), is that you WILL be using lots of energy, and that translates to HEAT, so be sure to get gear that allows you to vent that heat. On single track you'll find that "LESS is MORE". By that I mean that my FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket- WONDERFUL for touring Alaska - would be the LAST thing I'd pick for single track!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode