Quiet Helmets.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quiet Helmets..

Hey guys. I'm looking for helmet recommendations. I'd like something under $300 and that cuts down on the wind noise I get.

The day I bought my bike I bought several other items that were safety related, i.e. helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. This meant I wound up buying a relatively cheap HJC helmet. I like the helmet, don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to the HJC brand other than the large amount of wind noise I get with this cheaper model (CS-R1).

Yes I wear earplugs when I'll be riding more than my 10 minute commute to work, and yes I've gone with the Givi taller windscreen to cut down on wind hitting my body.

I know that I'll not eliminate all wind noise, but there has got to be a better option out there than this $85 helmet.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM

If your earplugs aren't making your life heaven... then there's not much hope:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...lmet-noise.htm

I use cheap, disposable foam earplugs (every time I ride - no matter how far or how long) and I'm happy as can be with the level of noise (or lack thereof) inside my Arai XD3

Edit: I don't use a new pair each time I ride. Some pairs last me a week or two. I bought a honkin' big package of them from Home Depot a year ago and still have about 50% left... For me that means I don't have to keep track of some sort of expensive custom plugs. If I lose an earplug... or two, I just pull spares out of my stash that goes along with the bike.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 08-16-2012 at 02:15 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 PM

If you have good venting your helmet is going to be noisy no mater what the price. Suggest ear plugs on the highway.

Bell RS-1 is only slightly more than your price range in solid colors. They have been getting great reviews in multiple publications. Fit is intermediate oval. See webbikeworld review.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:01 PM

My Shoei TZR is very quiet compared to other helmets I've used. $300 dollar may be pushing it budget wise for a quality quiet helmet though. Helmets are one place that I won't hesitate to spend whatever is necessary for good fit and quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for reviews on all motorcycle accessories as well as other great motorcycle news, stories and video.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:21 PM

I always use ear plugs, but it amazes me how many people don't know how to fit them properly.
I have seen so many just stuffing them into the end of the earlobe - this dos not work.

This is how i was told to do it - especially when working in and around the grinding mills in a coal fire power station and 400kV 10,000 psi Air Blast Circuit Breakers

1. Roll the earplug into a tight cylinder. In order for earplugs to fit into your ear canal, you must roll the foam so that it forms a tight cylinder. This makes it easy to slide earplugs into your ear so that you get a proper fit.

2. Lift the top of your ear to open the canal. Itís impossible to insert earplugs correctly without pulling on the top of your ear. Otherwise, the canal is too closed off to reach. You will need to grab the top part of your ear and lift slowly. If opened properly, you will feel air coming into the canal.

3. Insert the earplug into the open canal. If you opened the ear canal properly, you should be able to slide the earplug in easily. If the canal isnít open enough, you will find yourself trying to squish the earplug into place.

4. Hold earplug in place until the form expands. The foam will take a bit of time to expand. If you simply insert the earplug and then pull your hand away, the earplug will pop out. Instead, you need to gently hold the plug in place until the foam fully expands. This ensures that the earplug blocks out as much noise as possible.

5. Repeat Steps 1 Ė 4. Itís important to insert one earplug at a time. Otherwise, the foam will expand before you can begin work on the second ear.

Tips
It may take a few tries before youíre able to insert earplugs properly.
If you have trouble getting the canal open, make sure to re-roll the earplug so that the foam is tight.
If earplugs donít seem to be doing their job, even after several attempts, try buying a new brand.
Forcing earplugs into place can cause your ears to ache.
Wash your hands before you insert earplugs.
Once rolled, insert earplugs immediately or the foam will expand too much.

Richard

at
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:21 PM

Not the bell vortex. Mine is loud.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips on the earplugs, but I've been in construction safety, nuclear safety, and public safety for 17 years. I've served on several boards commissioned to reduce hearing loss in the workplace. And I have 6 different types of hearing protection sitting on the shelf in front of me. I also have a very expensive device sitting here that measures sound levels. I could fill a book with stuff I've forgotten about earplugs.

That all being said. Your advice is dead on. Proper insertion and use is key. Also don't hold onto disposables for too long. You don't wanna keep shoving the junk that gets on them from your hands down into your ears.

Now back to the helmet recommendations.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
IMO a very quiet helmet will not flow air and will be quite warm in the heat of summer. I love my Bell Star. A lot of air flow but very loud if I am not wearing ear plugs.

The other solution is to get a goldwing or Voyager 1700. Both of these bike shield you from the wind.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 PM

Lose the givi windscreen and put the stock back on.that givi was awful for me.sounded like someone was pounding on my helmet with a hammer.with the stock I'm in clean air. Made a huge difference.almost forget, my stock is mounted upside down now.very little noise compared to the givi.

Last edited by donr1122; 08-17-2012 at 06:10 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr1122 View Post
Lose the givi windscreen and put the stock back on.that givi was awful for me.sounded like someone was pounding on my helmet with a hammer.with the stock I'm in clean air. Made a huge difference.almost forget, my stock is mounted upside down now.very little noise compared to the givi.
Just shows you how everyone is different. With the Givi screen my noise has gone down, but also the pressure against my body from wind has gone way down.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
If your earplugs aren't making your life heaven... then there's not much hope:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...lmet-noise.htm
I don't agree at all. In my experience with three different helmets (Bell Sprint, Shoei TZ-R and RF1000) and five different bikes (V-Star 250 and 900, old ZX-6, Street Triple, and Versys), though not in all possible combos, the confluence of helmet design, airflow, build and gear affect noise in ways that are difficult to predict. The TZ-R was probably quietest overall, with the Sprint loudest.

Riding the V-Star 900 with the TZ-R was quieter than the 250, possibly because the front end was farther away, allowing the air to clean up behind the leading edge. I wore the RF1000 on the rest of the bikes. The loudest is the Versys with the stock screen. The ZX-6 was a little better, but not as much as I expected with the sportbike bodywork. The Street Triple was by far the quietest setup, nearly matched by a Versys with no screen.

In all cases, the vast majority in noise difference came from the base of the helmet. On a screened Versys the turbulence-induced racket from below can sometimes make me fear for my hearing, even with plugs (and yes, they're inserted properly). On the ST3 or if I stand up, it all goes away. I also discovered that if I shrug my shoulders a bit things quiet down significantly.

TL;DR: To the OP, figure out the source of the noise if you haven't already. If the worst of it goes away when you stand up, you may have better luck altering airflow than changing lids

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM

Garage
My 2 cents

Webbikeworld has a section dedicated to helmet and more to the point, the quietest

Second
During the summer, I were a mesh jacket, in fall or early spring, a textile jacket
Found out the noise of the air flowing around my shoulder seems to be less loud with the mesh jacket

Third
A quiet helmet for Jo who has a specific type of head Shape may not be the answer for you with another type of shape, you'll probably have to go trial and error

Finally, I always were plug ( correctly inserted), and it makes a huge difference

Good luck with your quest

LOP
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Try Schuberth C3. Review say its one of the quite helmet around. 84db at 100km.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/426/78...--with-C3.aspx

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....3A70PyS-lLg%3D

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
TL;DR: To the OP, figure out the source of the noise if you haven't already. If the worst of it goes away when you stand up, you may have better luck altering airflow than changing lids
Yep. I did this first before coming to you guys for recommendations. I've got the air about as clean as I'm going to get on my helmet right now. If I stand up the wind noise is the exact same or louder. Granted it was much much louder with the stock screen in any position.

Thanks guys for recommendations so far.

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Yep. I did this first before coming to you guys for recommendations. I've got the air about as clean as I'm going to get on my helmet right now. If I stand up the wind noise is the exact same or louder. Granted it was much much louder with the stock screen in any position.

Thanks guys for recommendations so far.
Maybe give the Qwest a shot? It's supposed to be the successor to the TZ-R, so it should theoretically be an improvement, and was WBW's helmet of the year last year. It's a bit over your $300, though (~330 for solids at Revzilla). The Icon Airframe is also supposed to be pretty good, but I think is about to be superseded by the Airmada. I mention that one since it was in the running when I bought TZ-R, and only lost out by being slightly larger and heavier, and not having quite the Shoie reputation. It is, however, right at your price point, the fabulous-looking Construct in particular.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Try Schuberth C3. Review say its one of the quite helmet around. 84db at 100km.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/426/78...--with-C3.aspx

Except for the loud scream that comes from your wallet when you pay for it :-)

Seriously. There not such a thing as a quiet helmet. They are load and very loud helmets. I ride with a flip up which are in the louder side. Used an HJC Symax II for a coupld of years and this season I switch to another HJC the HJC Symax III. Stiil loud but much less than the Symax II. I would go as far as to say that it is comparable to many high quality full face helmets. You can find the Symax III well under $300. I cannot speak for the Schubert. However, at that price point it must be not just the quietest helmet but the best in everything. Almost forgot. I wear ear plugs all the time I ride. My wife say I'm deaf enough as it is so I try to keep things for getting worse. Although I believe that what I have is a bad case of selective hearing.

Last edited by Boricua; 08-20-2012 at 03:56 PM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 AM

The best way to get a quieter helmet is to improve your windscreen. I upgraded to a MRA touring and it made a HUGE difference. I do use ear plugs on long rides but when I'm on short rides I don't bother.

My helmet is a Vemar Jiano Bluetooth Helmet and I can have conversations on my phone while going 70 mph. Sound is good, no distortion from the caller and they can hear me like I'm sitting in my office. Prior to installing the MRA I couldn't hear anything when I got a call.

PS. The windshield is a heck of a lot cheaper than a Schuberth or most other helmets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VERSYS09r.jpg (192.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg VERSYS13r.jpg (206.9 KB, 87 views)

Doug

Mine is a BLUE 2009 KLE650A9F
Former RED KLR650 Rider.
Former Yellow/Black Suzuki M50 Rider.

Last edited by dfmcse; 08-21-2012 at 07:48 AM.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 AM

My Shoei RF-1000 fits me well and is quiet.
Now that the RF-1100 is out, you can maybe get good deals on the RF-1000, which was above $300 when I bought it.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 AM

Some say that adding a thin piece of sponge between the foam and shell of the helmet beneath the ear area helps tone down the wind noise. It think it gets to seal better between the cheeks and cheek-sponge.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode