Cheap heated grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Cheap heated grips

I would like to install heated grips on my bike but don't want to spend the $120CDN/$90US on the Oxfords I know will perform and fit perfectly. My question is should I risk the $25CDN on an unbranded pair from Amazon? Fitment is my biggest concern.

I currently have Gerbing heated gloves which are highly effective in the cold when they work but have intermittent connection issues. They are also a hassle to connect up and unconnect in city commuting.

https://www.amazon.ca/Elisona-1-Moto...=pd_sbs_263_10

Last edited by twowheels; 10-04-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Seems worth a shot to me.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:23 PM

Garage
I use these, install was pretty painless. First set lasted 5 years before one of the lead wires into the throttle broke (from rotational throttle twists). Low is a little cool in cold weather (below 32F/0C), but high does a good job of throwing off heat.

Can't beat the price. By the way, an air compressor with a ball inflator needle, or similar, will make removal of the grips super, super easy.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...rip-Heater-Kit

'09 Versys

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Oxford heated Grips Worth every penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I would like to install heated grips on my bike but don't want to spend the $120CDN/$90US on the Oxfords I know will perform and fit perfectly. My question is should I risk the $25CDN on an unbranded pair from Amazon? Fitment is my biggest concern.

I currently have Gerbing heated gloves which are highly effective in the cold when they work but have intermittent connection issues. They are also a hassle to connect up and unconnect in city commuting.

First very hard to find specs on the Elisona, I found a older version and spec was 9 watts on low and 12 watts on high, that is per grip. The Oxfords use a PWM design so 100 % is full on, 28 to 30 watts per grip, I had my grips on 2 days ago at 8"C out, I had them at 60% . Some times it is buyer be aware, $25 Canadian, what can you buy for that these days. So you get these please make a review and be honest, as you mentioned the heated gloves, at least 3 times this year I didn't have my thermal liner in and my hands started to get cold, I reached over and turned on the grips, all I did was slow down for a few seconds.
Not a very good picture but just below and to the left of my GPS is the controller.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-07-2017 at 02:45 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For any heated grips without a controller, here ya go:

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Controll...ts=p_89%3ADROK

This unit works fine on my V for the grips. I installed the unit in the fairing with a hunk of milk jug plastic wrapped around it for keeping the rain out.
twowheels likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 05:10 PM

I can't tell you about heated grips, as I don't have any. However, I purchased a cheap pair of heated gloves last year. I could feel a little heat from them, but not much. Total waste of money. I believe the old saying "you get what you pay for". I paid little and got little.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
For $4.19US/$5.23CDN you can get a kit like this from EBay. Recently saw a friend's bike where these were installed. They install over the existing grips and then are covered with the included shrink wrap and bicycle handle bar tape. Surprisingly the install looked fairly clean.

One caveat is the Oxford grips are rated for 50W and 70C/158F (against gloves) on high, however these however are rated for 20W so I would not expect them to provide a similar amount of heat.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grips.jpg (36.7 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg kit.jpg (37.3 KB, 340 views)
LuvNot likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-05-2017 at 10:14 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My V (used) came to me with cheap heated grips. Actually, the grips are not heated, it is the bar that heats due to the wrapped heat element similar to those pictured above. I use Grip Buddies (far better than Grip Puppies) and can barely feel the heat. Even without the GB's, there is very little heat. I don't even bother with them now.

I would not waste the time, money and effort required for that style.

When it is cold I use my Gerbing heated gloves but there are times when it is not quite cold enough for Gerbing gear. I am considering getting the Oxfords and will watch for a sale on them.
onewizard likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Oxford Grips

Many have commented at various times and on various threads on this forum. When I purchased my 2015 in February 2016, yes ****many had said there are deals to be found***for many years I thought it was BS, ---well , it is true, you really need to know where to look, let's just say there is a fine line with offering a discount as a dealer , without looking like you don't have a very good sales team to Mother Ship. So I listened, believe it or not but part of my purchase included $300 worth of extras, my dealer actually recommended buying the Oxfords, and to steer clear of the OEM, I got them for under $100, and said I would do the install, best $100 I ever spent, I would challenge you to hold your hand on the grips with a bare hand at 60% setting for more than a minute, at 75% you better have gloves on and it better be cold out, at 100% it must be snowing, you must be going 60 miles per hour without any bark-busters, and you may need to take your gloved hand off the grip for short periods. I run usually at 60% , when it is very cold out 0 to 3'C, I set it at 75% just after coming out from getting a coffee, and about 3 to 5 minutes later I dial back to 60%.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

Every time I go cheap I get teeth marks on my..... donkey.
onewizard and quexpress like this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:20 PM

Garage
I have Oxford Adventure heated grips. With the right gloves and BarkBusters, they are great! I have an aversion to physically connecting myself to the bike with wires as I expect I'll forget and tug/yank/jerk/destroy the wiring.

I decided on the Oxford's based on a friend who has spent more $$$ and time on cheap heated grips that only have 2 settings and are always not working. My Oxfords have worked as advertised, on 2 different bikes over 3 years, from early spring to early winter. They are worth the $.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 PM

Symtec Heat Demon grip heaters work great and have a HI/Lo switch. You can use your stock, or most other grips with them. Unlike stated in an above post for this type of heaters...these make all the heat you can use. I've had them on 3 bikes including the new V1 just purchased, and for the price they're unbeatable. Seems like I recently paid about $50 for a pair. Well worth it.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 View Post
Symtec Heat Demon grip heaters work great and have a HI/Lo switch. You can use your stock, or most other grips with them. Unlike stated in an above post for this type of heaters...these make all the heat you can use. I've had them on 3 bikes including the new V1 just purchased, and for the price they're unbeatable. Seems like I recently paid about $50 for a pair. Well worth it.
Those are the grips that I use with a PWM wired to the high heat circuit. Excellent heat output.

Just to be a bit different/weird I use a turn signal flasher for the low setting on the KLR. It still works with 10k miles on the setup. This set originally used a resistor for low, that lasted about 100 miles. The resistor wiring was not up to the challenges of the KLR. I would avoid any that use a resistor unless you plan on using a PWM or a TS flasher. Obviously, the PWM would be the better choice. Both are easy to wire in.

Whatever a person gets for grips a cheap PWM really is nice to have for precise heat control.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Symtec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 View Post
Since the OP wasn't talking about these, and I couldn't find any links in this thread, I thought it only fair to find and post a link.https://heatdemon.com/collections/mo...e-grip-heaters

So what I found was Symtec is 20 watts per grip maximum at 14 volts, Oxford is 30 Watts maximum at 14 volts. The Symtec you need to install the elements inside the handle bars, so heat needs to travel through the bars , through the grips to your hands, you need to drill a hole in the clutch side of your bars. The wiring is exposed to the heat of the elements, if something fails you are going to need to remove everything, both left and right grips. Be sure to view the installation video on that site. Second thing, if you want anything close to the same control as Oxfords, the price is higher than the Oxfords. I have Bark Buster Storm mounted on my bars, I would really like to see a photo of the Heat Demon mounted on a Versys and the hole you drilled in the bars, not to mention the weakening of the left side bar by drilling said hole. So my opinion of Heat Demon grip heaters

Last edited by onewizard; 10-07-2017 at 02:47 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 11:15 AM

Garage
I installed the Bike Master set for under $50.00. Only thing I needed to add was an in-line relay, which I took out of a junk Honda's fuse box. Nice, clean assembly and good function, as well as increasing the diameter of the grips. These "thicker" grips also reduce hand fatigue in warm weather, at least for me. I've ridden in temps as low as 36 F and had no problems.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:14 PM

+1 for the Bike Master heated grips. Very even heat and on both sides and 5 level heat control is a steal for $45 on US Amazon
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
+1 for the Bike Master heated grips. Very even heat and on both sides and 5 level heat control is a steal for $45 on US Amazon
This sounds like the way to go iff'n you want the whole grip. I went with the Heat Demon under grip style(not inside the handlebar) cuz they have more heat on the clutch side to account for being attached directly to the steel handlebar. These have worked well for me and I can use whatever grip that suits me.

I never have had a wire break off of the coils and have used these or similar for almost ever.

A precautionary note, don't get the heater for an ATV. Both sides hae the same heat output so the throttle side will be much warmer because the throttle tube is not much of a heat sink. BTDT, cuz they are usually a lot cheaper. You will notice on the Demons that they are labelled for which side they go on.

Just checked on Amazon, $42.16 for the grip kit and $12.99 for the Drok brand controller with remote potentiometer. Prices are in US $$.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Controll...eed+controller

https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Demon-Ex...Z6GEY7CQNEBX5D

Hey, this is almost like an oil thread.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:19 PM

I automatically install Heat Demons on my bikes. Easy install and work well. It allows you to run Pro Grip 714s (best grips ever) as well. Highly recommend you use a cheap relay as well.

https://heatdemon.com/collections/mo...r-kit-high-low
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:53 AM

All heaters, particularly the less spendy, are made better with a pair of hand guards. I ran with Acerbis Dual Roads on my V.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I thought I would risk trying these due to low price. They do get fairly hot with an integrated switch that has two temp settings. The wires appear kind of thin for the current draw though and require lengthening and soldering. The right grip has an integrated throttle tube and cam that does not work with the Versys, at least not without lots and lots of modification. I discarded these instead of trying to get them to fit.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-03-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode