Wanting to buy a Roadcrafter. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wanting to buy a Roadcrafter.

I am looking to buy my roadcrafter suit in the next few weeks, the one piece version.

I had intended on a leather....but I cant justify changing clothes everytime I arrive to work/school/home/girlfriends, etc....

I currently ride in a perf'd leather, jeans, race boots, gloves, and a full face in all weather...including 100+ degrees, it doesnt really bother me.

The Roadcrafter wont be any hotter, would it? I need something to ride year round.

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You'll want to keep your perfed leather for the warmer weather. IMO there is not really such a thing as effective all season gear. The roadcrafter has minimal venting with some pit vents and exhaust vent on the back but no leg, sleeve or body vents so it is going to be like a sauna in 72F+ weather but excellent for your intended use, at least from from 72F to 32F. Because the roadcrafter doesn't come with an insulating liner, in colder weather you will need to provide a mid layer or buy the optional zip in, mid layer Aerostitch sells. Lots of info on the Road Crafter and other gear on ADVRider.com. Have you looked at other options? Motoport.com make stretch and mesh Kevlar one and two piece suits. The mesh gear should be ideal in hot weather plus they advertise it is the only textile gear approved for road race use by the AMA. Tiez and Olympia also make similar one piece suits similar to the road crafter at a reduced price.

Suggest checking out gear section of AdvRider.com for reviews.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-27-2012 at 09:00 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:00 AM

I live in VA and work in DC (hot & humid) I ride in my roadcrafter year round. Yes it hot in the summer if your trapped in traffic but doable. I Also have the Daren light suit which is on and off with just a tad bit more effort and time and its a lot better in super hot weather like when the heat index is up to 100. A little trick I found this summer on longer trips was to fill the pockets of the GoreTex suit with ice. It will keep you cooler for a few hours but lets face it when the heat index goes up that high you would be hot riding naked. If I could only have one suit it would be the roadcrafter.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys

Twowheels, how long have you had your roadcrafter...? Ive seen many people saying its bearable to 90, some say to 100+....

Douglasgraham, if i can only have one suit for now..would you recommend the roadcrafter? Itll be 100+ here for a few more weeks and i expect to see single digits this winter....not that ill ride that cold.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Bearable and comfortable are not the same thing. It is hard to gauge heat issues without knowing speed and humidity. I don't have a roadcrafter but researched getting one. I currently ride with an Olympia AST (top half of Olympias Phantom suit and vented over pants. In the heat I wear completely perfed leather which is cooler than vented jackets. Based on my experience with the AST (which actually has way more venting to the upper body than the RC, the RC is going to be intolerable above ~80F (humid) in slow traffic and maybe 90F with nothing but a t-shirt and underwear under it on the highway. It's going to start to get uncomfortable much above 72F. You need speed to force cooling air into the vents with a vented jacket or suit. Most reviewers rave about the RC but say it is not comfortable in the heat. As for riding below 45F, the only thing I find that works well is a heated jacket liner and heated gloves. You can certainly ride in cooler wither without heated gear but you'll find your limit will be maybe 20 min. at highway speeds at <45F. I would say a RC with a heated jacket liner would be ideal for cooler weather. Tiez make custom 1 piece suits for a few hundred less than RC.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:17 AM

As others have said, there are many other makers of one-piece suits. I looked at RC, but a couple of things bugged me about their suits: not a lot of venting as well as many reports of leaking at the crotch area. I ended up buying a Tourmaster Centurion. I'm happy with the amount of venting in the suit but I can't comment on its waterproofness yet, since we're having a bit of a drought. I've got several pieces of Tourmaster gear and it works well for me - except the boots, which are not waterproof (but which claim to be). It's a lot cheaper to buy than RC too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
As others have said, there are many other makers of one-piece suits. I looked at RC, but a couple of things bugged me about their suits: not a lot of venting as well as many reports of leaking at the crotch area. I ended up buying a Tourmaster Centurion. I'm happy with the amount of venting in the suit but I can't comment on its waterproofness yet, since we're having a bit of a drought. I've got several pieces of Tourmaster gear and it works well for me - except the boots, which are not waterproof (but which claim to be). It's a lot cheaper to buy than RC too.
Im mainly looking for protection, which is why i went to the RC. Gear kept me alive, im a believer.

Im considering going with a nice textile pant and sticking with leather up top....my only thought is im ATGAAT so having seperate pieces seems silly, but i think itd be fairly easy to stay comfortable with one pant year round and different tops. I just dont like thr compromise on protection by going two piece...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 01:24 PM

I have had the RC 2-piece for 12-years, about 100k miles and 2 spills (Aerostich will repair your suit!). Still my go-to gear for any ride, winter or summer. The jacket and pant zip together via a full length zipper, not like the 8" job they put on most separate pieces. You enter/exit the suit just like the one piece. On advantage of the two piece is that the jacket zipper is two-way and you can bring in additional air via the "belly vent". When riding in warm sunny temps- say over 80, the suit can be a sauna when sitting still. If you can keep moving it's fine. Over 95 the 'stich works better than vented gear as it limits your exposure to super-heated wind. I use a big scarf (kaffiya) that I wet down at stops then wrap around my neck and drape onto my chest. The evaporative-cooling effect lasts an hour or two and it's amazingly effective at keeping overall body temp comfortable.
When I get to my destination I whip the suit off and I'm in shorts and a Tee. And MC boots.
Or I'm in Jeans and a hoodie. Or Khakis and a button down.
If it's really cold I add a heated vest. If it rains I ride on.
You can try to justify not getting one, but nearly everybody that has one swears by them. I figure mine ran me about $80 bucks a year, repairs included. Good Gear is worth the price.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
Im mainly looking for protection, which is why i went to the RC. Gear kept me alive, im a believer.

Im considering going with a nice textile pant and sticking with leather up top....my only thought is im ATGAAT so having seperate pieces seems silly, but i think itd be fairly easy to stay comfortable with one pant year round and different tops. I just dont like thr compromise on protection by going two piece...
I can attest to the crash-worthiness of Tourmaster gear too. But there's no question, RC is top quality stuff.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I have had my Roadcrafter a little over a year. With the front zipper down about mid chest a lot of air flows through the suit...at least the top. I have never had an issue with my legs getting to hot...even with the new zippers the crotch does leak a little but nott a huge problem in my opinion....in a down pour I don't know what will keep you completely dry. I just rode 120 miles in the rain yesterday and that was all that was wet....just a little dampness in the crotch area. I'm not complaining.

the great things about Aerostich.....Awesome customer service. They really know these suits and if you have custom fitting done they are great at helping you take the measurements. My suit fit great when I got it. Fit is really important because if it isn't comfortable you won't wear it....a cheaper suit may seem a better option but if you don't wear its wasted money. They are very durable, and repairable. I love my stitch for commuting. Its off in 10 seconds and I'm ready to work. Back on it 10 seconds and I'm ready go...

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 AM
djg

I bought a used one piece Roadcrafter on Ebay. Worth a look if you know your size and are don't need custom tailoring. It is very well made and comfortable. I wear it a lot. It is easy to put on. It doesn't have much venting and is quite hot in hot weather. My Motoport stretch kevlar gear is significantly cooler. If you like leather and cordura, Vanson has the Supermoto jacket and pants. Pricy but very nice, if you can fit off the rack. I investigated and found that Vanson considers me a custom size. I wear a 48 long or XLT, which is not custom, IMHO. The custom sizing was a hefty upcharge and a deal breaker for me.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-S...cket-488.aspx?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode