Soaked - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Soaked

Last winter I was riding my Shadow almost everyday. Rain or not. I would get to work, peal off my gear and be dry. Since upgrading to the V, riding in the same conditions I get to worked soaked through. I thought it might have to do with the aerodynamics of the bike but wanted to see if anyone else was having a similar problem.

I don't mind the slightly damp sleeves or bottom of the jeans, but the patch that makes me look like I wet myself...not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM

Yep, if I get surprised by rain and don't have my riding pant's liner in the water goes right into the mesh and is blown backwards where it pools inside my pants. When I wear my leathers and have my outer rain pants on the water pools right in my lap. The V sure ain't a big wind/weather protector!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:35 PM

Yes, I've had the same experience. But, I'm old, so I have to check that I really didn't wet myself.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Yes, I've had the same experience. But, I'm old, so I have to check that I really didn't wet myself.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:21 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Does all that water sound splashing around make it worse!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
get off my lawn!!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Riding in in te Pacific NorthWest without a rain suit in winter and you ask why do you arrive soaking wet?

It not the bike it's the location, get a rain suit.

You know what they say, in Seattle metro people don't tan, people rust.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 PM

I don't leave home without rain gear. Dry is good.

Lots of cost-effective rain gear options here.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Last year my brother and I took off to Arkansas for a week. After leaving Dyersburg, TN we noticed some pretty fowl weather in the direction we were heading. When we hit Hayti, MO the storm was on us like crazy. I had put my liner in but had left it unzipped at the top about 3 or 4 inches for venting. It wasn't long before I felt that cold rain water running down my chest, into my pants and into my boots.

Pulled off in a car wash and changed shirts, socks and undies. When the storm died way down we made it over to Corning, AR and stopped at the McDonalds. Spent over an hour drying my jacket, pants, liners and gloves with the bathroom's hand dryers!

Left there and stayed in Mountain Home, where everything, including the weather, was dried up the next morning.

I think wearing a 3/4 length jacket helped a lot in keeping the rain off my lap. Not zipping my jacket liner all the way was a lesson I won't ever forget!

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

It's funny how my rain gear that kept me dry on my Shadow all winter long leaves me soaked on the V. Probably not the gear. Probably the bike. Too bad too. Except for the mirrors and 3rd gear, I really like the V. This might be a deal breaker in the coming months.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've driven in heavy rain without gear and my lower legs were soaked and shoulder & chest area.My crotch was dry.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
In my view you can't beat a rain suit to go over your normal gear, my jacket and pants will keep me dry for a while in rain but would rather put on the rain suit for wind and rain protection.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 PM

Mramsay, what is wrong with your 3rd gear?

Is it to high/low or problematic? Many of us went with either a 43 or 44 rear tooth sprocket while others have changed the front and been quite satisfied.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

3rd gear

Hard to describe. If I stay in second until 5500-6000 RPM, when I shift to third, it feels like I am already 75% done with that gear and almost immediately have to shift to fourth. In short....it's short.

There is a weird whine in 3rd gear only too.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM

I got caught in an incredible rain storm yesterday- the kind where its borderline flood and cars were driving slow with their hazards on- for about an hour and a half...I was SOAKED. Drenched, so bad. Down to the core. It was easily 90 degrees and I need my heated grips...

Anyways, I intended to buy a frog togg rain suit...are you all suggesting this might not do the trick either...?

I also go tthe crotch puddle.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
I got caught in an incredible rain storm yesterday- the kind where its borderline flood and cars were driving slow with their hazards on- for about an hour and a half...I was SOAKED. Drenched, so bad. Down to the core. It was easily 90 degrees and I need my heated grips...

Anyways, I intended to buy a frog togg rain suit...are you all suggesting this might not do the trick either...?

I also go tthe crotch puddle.
As for Frogg Toggs...in my opinion and experience with them, try to get a jacket that is plenty long enough and does not have elastic at the bottom. The elastic makes it too easy for the bottom of the jacket to ride up over the pant waist in the back and sides. The pull string cincher cords are much better.

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramsay View Post
It's funny how my rain gear that kept me dry on my Shadow all winter long leaves me soaked on the V. Probably not the gear. Probably the bike. Too bad too. Except for the mirrors and 3rd gear, I really like the V. This might be a deal breaker in the coming months.
Rain gear is for keeping you dry in the rain...how can you blame the bike if you get wet wearing rain great?

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 AM

GoreTex
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
GoreTex
Got gore tex boots, they are great, keep you warm/dry in rain and in hot weather they are great to.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:45 AM

As far as the raingear, if it protected you last year and doesn't anymore, it's likely the gear itself. Waterproof-breathable stuff tends to lose its waterproofness with use/time/wear.

I've tried wash in treatments, spray on treatments, and tent repair tape (in the case of visible wear to the waterproof lining). They can all work for awhile.

As far as the 3rd gear issue, a cheap and easy thing to try with most bikes if they start doing odd things with the transmission is an oil change. Unless it's always done it even after you've changed the oil, you might try it.

A lot of motorcyclist believe the service schedules in the owners manual, and think their oil is automatically good for the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval. If you browse the used oil analyses posted on bobistheoilguy, you'll see that it simply isn't true. I've also seen that from my own used oil analysis --though not on the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode