Motorcycling Phone Apps - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb Motorcycling Phone Apps

This seems to be a constantly evolving and improving market with many options. What apps are you using for :

- route tracking and exporting GPS GPX files
- gps apps
- how are you pre planning routes and importing them into your GPS
- what performance apps are you using, for instance lean angle measurement, acceleration measurement, etc..
- music while riding
- maintenance/service/mileage/costs tracking

One other question. My phone has a built in FM radio but it uses the ear phone cord as a FM antenna. Since I listen to things via my blue tooth Sena there is no cord and when I plug in a cord it switches to outputting sound via the ear phones. Is there are work around anyone has used for this?

Last edited by twowheels; 09-17-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Blue Tooth/ Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
This seems to be a constantly evolving and improving market with many options. What apps are you using for :

- gps apps
- what performance apps are you using, for instance lean angle measurement, acceleration measurement, etc..
- music while riding

One other question. My phone has a built in FM radio but it uses the ear phone cord as a FM antenna. Since I listen to things via my blue tooth Sena there is no cord and when I plug in a cord it switches to outputting sound via the ear phones. Is there are work around anyone has used for this?
I have a Moto G version 1, I blue tooth to my hearing aids through a remote. The trick is to change turn speaker phone on then off , which then goes to Blue Tooth. The second way I found was to connect bluetooth first, then plug headphones in and turn on radio.

FYI I don't have my hearing aids in while riding, in fact I have earplugs in, one consideration is to get something like Sena or Cardo Scala with a means of having a remote mic, as someone talking to me with helmet on and ear plugs in is like the cone of silence . A PITA need to take glasses off ,helmet off and ear plugs out, just to hear the conversation.

What do others do that are hearing impaired like me, besides writing something on paper.??
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...What do others do that are hearing impaired like me, besides writing something on paper.??
HUH...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
What apps are you using for :
- gps apps
- music while riding
iPhone 6 in waterproof case, mounted to left handlebar, with 2A charger to charge even when using high drain apps.
- I haven't bothered with tracking.
- iOS maps or Navigon depending on where I'm going, cell coverage, etc.
- I don't typically pre-plan, but Navigon can share routes via email, and Maps on Mac OS X can send to other Apple devices using the same AppleID or via email.
- None. Don't care and don't need another distraction.
- If I were to break Canadian law and do such a thing, I'd use the Music app on iPhone or TuneIn Radio for streaming radio to my Sena SMH5-FM bluetooth headset.
- Car Care. Not fancy, but functional.

Dave

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've played around with a number of GPS apps on Android but keep coming back to Google Maps. It has the most accurate maps with the exact location of each street number-something most GPS maps don't have. For the last year or so you can download a map area, eliminating a need for a cell connection, but you don't have map data by the province or state like a traditional GPS, just a ~200 mile square you select, which can be a pain if traveling widely. It also makes importing routes easy if you use the other Google tools. HERE is also an excellent GPS program and free. It is the same software you would find on a basic car GPS. Easy to use and all map data is stored on the phone, you select the provinces or states you want to download/install maps for when you run the program for the first time, but no features for importing or exporting routes. Co Pilot works the same as HERE but is a bit more tweak able but less refined than HERE, you can load routes onto it via a back door - find the directory that stores routes made up on the phone and copy your files there.

Sometimes on rides someone else has planned it is nice to remember the route so you can return there. Thats where tracking apps come in handy. I have not tried any but just installed "my tracks". Seems a bit buggy but we'll see.

There are plenty of apps like Pirelli's Super-bike that measure lean angle and other performance criteria. Really more of a novelty than anything else IMO.

As for maintenance I just use a spreadsheet and use my computer for this and then store on Google Drive where I can also access it on my phone if I desire. Fuelly.com is really handy if you want to track your fuel use and mileage. There is also an Fuelly app but I find it is easier just to write my odometer reading on the back of a receipt and stuff it in my wallet for entry in the computer when I decide to look at all the receipts in my wallet which is usually once a month or so.

Google My Maps, Google Earth and Tyre Travel are the tools I use for route planning but all could use some improvement.

Hoping to hear what others use in case I have overlooked something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
- If I were to break Canadian law and do such a thing, I'd use the Music app on iPhone or TuneIn Radio for streaming radio to my Sena SMH5-FM bluetooth headset.
???

Last edited by twowheels; 09-17-2017 at 06:12 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 07:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
???
That is what I thought as well. Apparently it is NOT legal to listen to music via speakers within the helmet. Only communications with passenger, phone calls, or two-way radio use are permitted. Here are a couple articles I found:
http://legalbeagle.com/7224801-canad...lmet-laws.html
https://www.mackesysmye.com/articles...law-in-ontario

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
That is what I thought as well. Apparently it is NOT legal to listen to music via speakers within the helmet. Only communications with passenger, phone calls, or two-way radio use are permitted. Here are a couple articles I found:
Canadian Motorcycle Helmet Laws | Legalbeagle.com
https://www.mackesysmye.com/articles...law-in-ontario
Interesting, it would seem that is an antiquated law that predates Bluetooth headsets. Can't see anyone being charged with that. I would be surprised if the police were aware of that either.

That said, I usually only listen to music when I'm on a boring stretch of road and not in heavy congested traffic.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-18-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode