Dual Sport Helmets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Dual Sport Helmets

I have to say that I love the DS style of helmets. They provide great visibility, and vent extremely well. Also fogging is something that never happens for me because of the airflow, and the face shield being farther from the face.

Now here is my problem with them. I like to change my face shields depending on the time of day. I wear a dark smoke by day and a clear at night. Very easy to swap out on my Scorpion 700. On my Icon Varient, it requires o screw driver, and being very careful to not strip out the aluminum screw/mounting system.

After a year of use I managed to strip the hole that the screw for one side of the shield. Was way to easy for a helmet that cost as much as it was.

Are there any DS helmets out there with tool free shield changes? Something that I can easily carry a extra shield in my Givi case and swap out quick?

My dream helmet would be the New Scorpion VX-34(dirtbike helmet) with a face shield and the circle shield release like on my Scorpion exo700.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 AM

Can't help you with DS helmets. I have a Scorpion EXO1000 and it has the clear shield with a flip down inner smoke shield. No shield changes period. Maybe someone makes a DS like that? After having this, it will be required on all future helmets I purchase.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 AM

My AFX FX-39 requires a screw driver also. It comes with a plastic one so you don't strip the screws. I still have the clear shield on mine because I pack sunglasses.

One thing I found was there is a secondary shield that can mount over the existing one.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...658019&page=39

Was thinking of getting one.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 AM

My sunshield for the FX-39 should be here today. Also there is the X-lite 551, which has a retractable inner visor, but it is much more expensive than the other options mentioned here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
My AFX FX-39 requires a screw driver also. It comes with a plastic one so you don't strip the screws. I still have the clear shield on mine because I pack sunglasses.

One thing I found was there is a secondary shield that can mount over the existing one.

I usully wear both sunglasses, and the tinted shield in the day. At night I have clear shades to wear with the clear visor.
That is the most promising option I have seen yet. How do you like the helmet? What other helmets have you owned that you would compare it to on fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
My sunshield for the FX-39 should be here today. Also there is the X-lite 551, which has a retractable inner visor, but it is much more expensive than the other options mentioned here.
Please post up after a ride. How do you like the helmet? What other helmets have you owned that you would compare it to on fit?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 AM

I have a white Shoei DS Hornet that I don't use and would like to sell if anyone is interested. Great condition, never dropped or damaged in any way.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 PM

HJC CL-16
Torc T22 Modular with BLINC III system

It doesn't really fit like either. I actually think it is much more snug than the HJC and just as comfortable. The Torc was just too airy for me.

My HJC is a medium and the AFX is a small. They seem to run about the same fit and feel. I'm going to go purchase another HJC CL-16 for the winter. Its what I love. Simple and unassuming and functional for a good price.

"Why do I ride?"

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 PM

i have been wanting a fly trekker helmet for a while, but i wanted to ask people who use them regularly.

1. are they super noisy on the highway?
2. do they ventilate a lot better?

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM

No idea about the fly racing trekker but it does have built in inner visor too.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
i have been wanting a fly trekker helmet for a while, but i wanted to ask people who use them regularly.

1. are they super noisy on the highway?
2. do they ventilate a lot better?
The Fly Trekker and AFX FX39 are basically the same helmet from what I understand. I read they are made in the same plant with the main difference being , the padding. I considered both but bought the AFX in the end.. Determining factor was AFX had the ratchet chin strap..

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV

Last edited by Snownut; 07-23-2012 at 10:20 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 PM
MTS

I would have to agree. The visor is so awesome in the sun! Than to loose that for a dark shield and have to wear sun glasses under that is a must. I have a Scorpion EXO 400. Its a great helmet with a dark shield and sun glasses!

I like my Fulmer with just my sun glasses better. It has the visor to block the sun and is half the weight but no shield.

Soooooo? Ha! Ha!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:09 PM

I own a Fly Trekker DS helmet. For the money, it's a very nice helmet. I use it exclusively when riding my DR650 and like it a lot. It fits me well(true to size) and vents well. I've been in heavy rain and my head hasn't gotten wet, either. This point shouldn't be overlooked, because you can't close all(or the appropriate) vents in some DS helmets and rain gets in.

Another thing that helps, especially at highway speeds, is to adjust the visor all the way forward. Doing this practically eliminates "lift" from the wind. I do wish you could open the shield just a crack and it would stay there, but that's just a minor quibble and a feature very rarely found at this price point.

Btw, the Trekker has D-rings on the strap, which I prefer. Having D-rings also makes it easy to hook my helmet to the helmet lock on my DR.

Hope this helps.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM

Something I forgot to mention in my previous post: I always wear earplugs, regardless of the helmet I'm wearing. You will want to wear them on the Trekker. It's quite noisy without them(although I've worn noisier helmets), but with them it's actually a pretty quiet helmet, especially for this style. Wearing earplugs helps protect your hearing, as well.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I ordered the AFX version this past week with the external shield from a local shop this past week. He always gets me the stuff next day but the shield was back ordered so they held everything

I should have it Monday he tells me. I bought the AFX vs. the Fly to get a much better price.

As far as noice, I wear ear plugs in every helmet I wear, unless its just a quick errand around town.

08' Versys
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 PM

Hawk, as has been previously mentioned, the Fly & the AFX are one & the same, except for the buckling mechanism, graphics, paint and maybe some padding.

The funny thing is, I've received more comments(mostly from non riders & all positive) on this helmet than any other I've owned.

I hope you receive yours soon.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post

I ordered one for my Fly Trekker and my brothers AFX. Interesting find. Thanks.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 PM

The sun visor for the FX-39 is great. I have been wearing the helmet for most of the summer now. The ventilation is great, and there is very little lift from the visor, it does give a good tug when you turn your head though, but that will happen on any helmet of this style.

The only issure I have seen with the outer sun visor is that you have to have the peak a little back or it will not allow the visor to open the whole way. I think mine is about halfway back on the adjustment.

I'm looking forward to some longer trips, and hopefully I can get the chin curtain before the weather gets cooler. I might be wearing this year round.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth, can't really say I'm a big fan of DS helmets for the Versys, or any bike that will be driven at 60mph +. The problem for me is they are not very aerodynamic at higher speeds. Also I think regular FF helmets are slightly more protection due to the higher cheek pads and more facial protection.

Last edited by Sprocket; 08-13-2012 at 05:28 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I finally got he helmet in and go to take a ride. I really like the way the helmet fits and looks awesome. The amount that you can see out of the opening is amazing!

I put the visor at the lowest setting and don't notice any lift up to 75mph so far.

The only thing is that the visor doesn't seem to seal very tight, and I am getting a bunch of air up to my eyes. Anyone else notice this?

08' Versys
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
The only thing is that the visor doesn't seem to seal very tight, and I am getting a bunch of air up to my eyes. Anyone else notice this?
I have an FX-39 although my primary DS is a Fulmer ADV Black Dalton. I never had a problem with the visor coming loose on the AFX. My Fulmerís visor did and I put some blue loctite on the screws which cured that. If you find that the air youíre feeling on your eyes is coming from around the shield, Iíd consider returning/replacing it. The annoyance of the air flow in your eyes is one bad thing; when you get in the rain thatís really going to be a problem if water starts spraying through. Both my AFX and Fulmer seal up well around the shield. Both still fog, but not as bad as other helmets, particularly the ones Iíve had with chin curtains.

Iíve only had my Versys since last Friday, stock screen in the highest position and so far my DS Helmet has been working out pretty well. I also have standard full face helmets, but having worn DS helmets the last couple years, I personally prefer them mostly for the reasons already stated in the thread. My Fulmer Dalton DS helmet actually got to experience the real Dalton in person last month.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode