Help with Harbor Freight Motorcycle Stand - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help with Harbor Freight Motorcycle Stand

Ok guys .. i finally went purchased the Low Profile rear motorycle spool stand because I saw so many people bought it and used it on their versys.

For those of you that did, I am having trouble.

1) Did you find that you had to use Harbor Freight spools? The ones I have on seem to be too thick and the spools dont fit into the V holder.

2) How did you line it up?! With the ones I have, it looks like I need to push both of them to the inside limit (the largest width) in order for it to work.

3) Can soemone post a video of them using this thing by themselves? There isn't much leverage that I can see and I am worried that it will fall over. Perhaps getting spools that fit will dissolve this concern.

http://www.harborfreight.com/low-pro...and-99701.html

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM

The stand should work fine if the spools fit at all inside the "V" of the adapter. Set the width with the bike vertical to get it right. There is plenty of leverage. Go slowly so the spool on the high side (assuming the bike is on the side stand) contacts the adapter in the right place... I hold onto the bike's grab rail while I lift it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
The stand should work fine if the spools fit at all inside the "V" of the adapter. Set the width with the bike vertical to get it right. There is plenty of leverage. Go slowly so the spool on the high side (assuming the bike is on the side stand) contacts the adapter in the right place... I hold onto the bike's grab rail while I lift it.
I am thinking that the spools I have are just too big (wide), thus not giving me any confidence.

I hate the fact I have to go get new ones now

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had the harbour freight spools on at first then went with some cooler spools but they were much thicker.They still worked but didn't feel as secure when lifting the bike.So i went back to the ones i had before.If you can't find the spools at harbour freight speedy's are similar..http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Swingar...10MMSPOOLS.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:29 PM

It's a tight fit but it works. You just need to balance the bike until the spools are in full contact with the adapters and the bike is balanced by the stand. Then you just push down on the stand. I normally hold on to the left passenger grab handle and leave the side stand down so in case something happens I can pull the bike towards the still deployed side stand.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I had the harbour freight spools on at first then went with some cooler spools but they were much thicker.They still worked but didn't feel as secure when lifting the bike.So i went back to the ones i had before.If you can't find the spools at harbour freight speedy's are similar..http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Swingar...10MMSPOOLS.htm
I cant seem to find any at harbour freight -- at least online.

I was thinking of getting the speedys also -- do you now if they fit into the groove well?

Farkles:

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:07 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
I cant seem to find any at harbour freight -- at least online.

I was thinking of getting the speedys also -- do you now if they fit into the groove well?

There identical in size to the harbour freight ones.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:02 PM

Garage
Not sure if you can see them to good here but they work very well and i put a brick under my kickstand to get the bike more vertical.

IMG_1508 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM

I have the speedy's spools and harbor freight stand. They work great together.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 PM

not sure the brand of my spools, bought them from the dealer, also using the harbor frieght stand. Yes, I do have to have it at the widest setting to get it to line up and work. Have used in maybe 3 times in less than a month without issue.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 PM

I just want to make one point...when you drop the bike back down make sure the kick stand is lowered! I made that mistake first time I did tires on my Buell. While I didn't end up with the bike on it's side I did need a heating pad and Asprin for a few days after the old collage heave-ho to keep it from going over.

And if you have front stand NEVER pull the rear one first. I didn't do that a guy I use to ride with did. Did you know you can almost buy a KLR for what the plastics on a 'Busa cost! AND your wife WILL kick your butt when you smash her brand new car? Tom does...now.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
The way I use mine is to put a block of wood under the stand, a size that almost has it straight up but not quite.

then slide the stand in and make sure it's obviously real close to lined up and should be easy to figure out what to do from there.

the block of wood helps out a lot. hate the idea of dropping the stupid thing!
+1 on this. I use a foot long piece of 4x4 under the stand to get the bike almost upright and can then more easily get the stand lined up properly under the spools.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not sure if you can see them to good here but they work very well and i put a brick under my kickstand to get the bike more vertical.
Quote:
The way I use mine is to put a block of wood under the stand, a size that almost has it straight up but not quite.

then slide the stand in and make sure it's obviously real close to lined up and should be easy to figure out what to do from there.

the block of wood helps out a lot. hate the idea of dropping the stupid thing!
Just an update for everyone. I really appreciated the feedback -- I never thought to ever use a brick or a piece of wood to get the bike more "level" before lifting it. Great Freaking idea!!

I also just placed my order to Motowerks based on the feedback here. Getting the spools and threw in the flatfoot for the heck of it (tired of using a stupid wood block)

I will let you know how it goes, but it seems that they will be the perfect marriage!

Farkles:

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 PM

I am using Speedy's spools with my Harbor Freight stand. Also, I place a piece of a 2" x 4" under the kickstand to get the bike as vertical as possible. Hook the stand to the spools.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
+1 on this. I use a foot long piece of 4x4 under the stand to get the bike almost upright and can then more easily get the stand lined up properly under the spools.
Yep...this is exactly what I do also. This method makes the stand a lot easier to use since you do not have to lift the bike as far or perform a balancing act trying to get it on the stand. Works great. Just don't forget to make sure your side stand is down before taking it off the spool stand.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 PM

I have the Harbor Freight rear stand, but simply use three inch bolts threaded into the swingarm in the supplied holes. Once done, I just remove them and keep them in my luggage.

jf
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

As a follow-up.. I got my package from USPS.. One thing that made me angry is that Motowerks requires a signature.. kind of annoying for someone who works M-F, so had to wait until saturday to pick it up.

In any case, spools fit perfect and look great. Followed everyones tip and used a 2x4 -- put it up with ease .

The harbor stand + spools = $45 for a great rear stand. Not a bad deal at all

I also installed the Motowerks Flatfoot. Install was simple (except for that damn spring). Didnt even need to use the "L" shaped bracket that he recommended for 2010+ models.

Overall -- super happy with Motowerk products and really happy to have people in this forum to go to for recommendations.

Farkles:

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode