Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Too hot to ride? Maybe this will help.

Going another step further than an evap' vest: http://www.veskimo.com/

Anyone have this, give your opinions.

Another idea: http://entrosys.com/

Also found this from Iron Butt: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/I..._62-66_Hot.pdf

...and drink lots of water!

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 AM

The veskimo is a bit much for the riding I think. If you were riding in 100 degree heat for hours on end I could see using these devices but for the normal person they are overkill that's my personal opinion
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:05 AM

Love my Skins for long rides in the hot weather here
http://store.skins.net/intl/mens-com...g-short-sleeve

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 AM

hey Stlee....so do these compression fit garments make a huge diff in the hot weather ? they look nice as well

Last edited by oxman; 07-05-2012 at 07:39 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 AM

hey Oxman,
http://www.skins.net/why-skins/compr...echnology.aspx

Don't sweat much under my aerostich roadcrafter.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
hey Oxman,
http://www.skins.net/why-skins/compr...echnology.aspx

Don't sweat much under my aerostich roadcrafter.
thanks for the link

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 AM

I've used various types of cooling vest while working as a Nuclear Safety Engineer. It's very hot in a Nuclear Powerhouse as they can't just open the doors/windows and air the place out for obvious reasons.

Cooling vests are good for lowering your core body temperature, but they aren't going to stop the dehydration that comes from riding down a hot road as your sweat is blowing/evaporated off of you. They also don't cool the air you're breathing. So as you are breathing you are sucking in hot air and expelling more moisture.

In my personal opinion, cooling vests can be more dangerous for the average person. They lull you into thinking you are cooler because you feel "cool", when actually you are still losing bodily fluids. They can mask some of the dangers signs for heat exhaustion/sickness.

But that's just my 2 cents...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM

I heard bout the entro system. I understand the site came up on April 1st, 2009.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM

That iron butt article was very interesting. Mesh above 93 is apparently doing more harm than good when it comes to keeping cool.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 PM

i think i would have to agree, with the mesh phenominom... its been over 95 here the last couple weeks and it just feels like i am riding into a hairdryer.

The couple times i have worn my 3 season vented jacket, it hasnt been much better BUT it certainly hasnt been worse....so i dont know if that proves anything

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:44 PM

Or, you could just move to my city. We're getting our first nice week starting today. Summers going to be short up here.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 PM

From what I've read the problem with ice vests is they cause the blood vessels close to the skin to constrict (due to the extreme cold) but your inner core is still trying to get rid of heat. Big problem that could have serious consequences.

I found the evaporative vest and mesh jacket worked for me. You do get wet but it feels very welcome, but maybe not a practical solution for commuting to work.

Stumbled across this (http://coolwingrider.com/). That may work but I know nothing about it beyond what it says on the website.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
From what I've read the problem with ice vests is they cause the blood vessels close to the skin to constrict (due to the extreme cold) but your inner core is still trying to get rid of heat. Big problem that could have serious consequences.
The Veskimo fits against your skin. But I would want to put a layer between it and my skin. That's what I do with my evap' vest. It can get plenty cool that way, I can only imagine if it was nearly frozen!

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode