Misfitting gear question. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Misfitting gear question.

Hey guys,

I'm new here, been lurking for a while but don't tend to say too much on the public forum.

Had a question that you guys may be able to answer. My fiancee has been thinking about riding with me for the first time (I've been riding for 3 years now) but has concerns with some gear that I got as part of my versys purchase.

The jacket is a bit too big. It's a nice nylon w armor jacket with a waistband elastic (Kawasaki branded) but its about one size too big in the shoulders. Do you think this is a show stopper for the occasional short, slow ride around town (ie 25mph)... and what about longer rides. Obviously if she takes to enjoying the ride, I would purchase proper gear.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM

If I said she'd be fine and then you crash, your attorney would be gunning for me....

You could always tell her that the best way to wear that jacket is to buff up and fill it out. Here's some inspiration:

No Video

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 PM

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnb View Post
Hey guys,

I'm new here, been lurking for a while but don't tend to say too much on the public forum.

Had a question that you guys may be able to answer. My fiancee has been thinking about riding with me for the first time (I've been riding for 3 years now) but has concerns with some gear that I got as part of my versys purchase.

The jacket is a bit too big. It's a nice nylon w armor jacket with a waistband elastic (Kawasaki branded) but its about one size too big in the shoulders. Do you think this is a show stopper for the occasional short, slow ride around town (ie 25mph)... and what about longer rides. Obviously if she takes to enjoying the ride, I would purchase proper gear.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I think any gear is better than no gear.
I'll probably get some resistance to this answer but unlike some people, I'm not made of money so everything I do I have to consider finances into the equation. As nice as it would be to be the guy who says "I only buy the best" that's not the way it is. I say ride with what she has until you find out if she will be doing any more riding. If you two decide that she will be spending some time on your bike, then take her on a shopping trip and get her all decked out in gear that fits her body, her style and her needs.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 AM

Consider getting a Givi top box with back rest pad. It's pretty darn convenient to carry stuff and will make her feel a lot more secure on the bike since she can't bounce off the back of the seat when you hit a big bump.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:16 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replies. I was looking into get side bags, but given this possible bonus I might just go with the rear bag.

I figured my logic was pretty good, but there is no need to spend money unless she will ride more than just once or twice I think.

robnb
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 12:15 PM

If the armor seems secure the gear is probably good.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
If the armor seems secure the gear is probably good.
Well thats the thing. The shoulder guards slide enough that they might not cover during a spill. Should I be that concerned for a 15 minute ride?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnb View Post
Well thats the thing. The shoulder guards slide enough that they might not cover during a spill. Should I be that concerned for a 15 minute ride?
If her pads are not where they should be, that gear has reduced functionality, still better than nothing, but not as good as its designed to be.
Like nearly everything concerning gear, this falls into the category of managing the risk, how much is she willing to compromise, ect.
Its the same question we all face daily and everyone draws the line where they feel warm and fuzzy. Sometimes the compromise is over money, sometimes its convenience, sometimes its comfort but there is always a compromise.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Ray for the reply. I think I have all the information I need now.

Thanks everyone

2008 Blue Versys
Living to ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode