Question for the Scorpion owners? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question for the Scorpion owners?

I am seriously looking into buying one of the Scorpion 400,500,700 or 1000models online. I wear a medium size, have a narrowish type head shape and wear glasses. Is there anyone here that is similar and owns one of these helmets? If so, what is your opinion?

Last edited by james4b; 06-29-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 AM

My first helmet was an EXO-400 and I was very happy with it, at least until the day I tried on an Arai Profile in a store. I then had an "a-ha" moment when I realized what a good fitting helmet is supposed to feel like. According to webbikeworld the Arai Profile is the narrowest of helmets so the same feeling may not apply to you. Switching between the two I would say the liner in the Scorpion is much thicker and sponge like so it can fit more head shapes, but that means more pressure against your noggin. The Arai in my case, well, it fit like a glove.

Build quality on the Scorpion is fine, no issues there from me. In fact it came as a big shock when the visor on the Arai fogged up instantly. For the money I had to spend on a Pinlock system I could almost have bought another Scorpion!

Bottom line, if it fits you well then it is a good helmet to have.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:43 AM

Garage
I dont really now my head shape, but its definitely more long oval than round. I wear a Medium 700 and love it. At all times while wearing it I have on sunglasses or clear riding glasses at night and they fit no problem. It is my favorite overall helmet I have. I like my Icon Varient, cause it looks cool and vents great in hot weather, and I love the American Paint job on my AFX. But neither fit like the Scorpion.

I wish they would make a Shielded MX helmet with quick release shield. Then I would never wear anything else.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:08 PM

I have 2 EXO-400 Octanes and they fit my narrow profile better than my HJC-CL-Max and Icon Alliance. They are also quieter. The Scorpions have more material in the liner and the cheekpads come around to the sides of my mouth. At first it was too tight until I picked up a small inflatable ball from Walmart and put it in the helmet for a few days. Broke the cheekpads in nicely.

I wear glasses, however mine are vintage frames with cable ends. Will not work in any helmet, so I use contact lenses with both clear and smoke sunglasses that have a diopter at the bottom. Those sunglasses work well with all my helmets.

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4b View Post
I am seriously looking into buying one of the Scorpion 400,500,700 or 1000models online. I wear a medium size, have a narrowish type head shape and wear glasses. Is there anyone here that is similar and owns one of these helmets? If so, what is your opinion?
I would avoid the 400 as it does not have a removable liner. I would also avoid the 1000 as they received poor reviews. Scorpion has since replaced it with the 500. The 700 is an excellent basic helmet - also get the option $7 chin skirt to make the helmet MUCH quieter.

If you can afford it have look at an Arai Profile, they are specially designed for a narrow head and you simply won't find a better helmet for your head. They are also currently discounted by $100 most places due to closeouts.

There is also the Scorpion 750, it is ECE rated where the 700 only has the old Snell M2005 rating, 750 has more impact absorption and a few extra features.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM

My Scorpion EXO-1000 is terrific......as advertised and Scorpion customer support is both knowledgeable and generous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
My Scorpion EXO-1000 is terrific....
+1

I will also offer that you should try one on for size. I wear a medium HJC, a Medium Bell, but had to go XL on my Scorpion 1000 to get it onto my head. Fits snug. If you read around, they are sized tighter than most.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 06-29-2012 at 06:20 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 03:49 PM
MTS

+1 to Capn and Stagehand. I had to go to XL and is perfect. Sizes seem small to me!
EXO 400 and love it. For the money! Yes way better and lighter out there. Cool looking helmet for $150 and I get complements on it all the time. No joke!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 08:08 AM
djg

I wouldn't buy a helmet without trying it on. But, webbikeworld is pretty good at helmet reviews and is quite good at describing the fit for various head shapes. A webbikeworld review is probably the next best thing to trying on a helmet. I am lucky to have a dealer nearby that stocks a good variety of helmets.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I wouldn't buy a helmet without trying it on. But, webbikeworld is pretty good at helmet reviews and is quite good at describing the fit for various head shapes. A webbikeworld review is probably the next best thing to trying on a helmet. I am lucky to have a dealer nearby that stocks a good variety of helmets.
here's the link.

my previous helmet was an Arai Vector, which was a great fit. it was comfortable and evidently quite plush. i replaced it with an EXO-700, which is not nearly as plush. harsh, cheapo liner. this was immediately evident and bothersome because i shave my head.

but more importantly, the EXO-700 is rounder than my skull. there is a pressure point dead center of my forehead. so, although webbike world tries their best to provide objective data for helmet fitting, it's still far better to wear you next lid around the store for a while.

that said, i don't like what i see in the store, so i still buy online. gambler or slow learner? anyway, even though the EXO was new last year, it's being replaced and will become a passenger lid. we'll see how this Bell Vortex works out....

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 06-30-2012 at 09:58 PM.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I would avoid the 400 as it does not have a removable liner.
My EXO-400 does. http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/C55D...AA72C6243BF0A1

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Helmet fit is tricky. Best if you can try it on, or at least return it if it isn't right. I've owned an EXO400 and it didn't really have room for glasses. FWIW I'm typically a medium, but I was Large in the EXO400.

The EXO700s I tried didn't fit, although I think the shape of that one changed from one year to the next, so they won't all fit the same. Now Scorpion has different models, and who knows how they fit?

For some manufacturers helmet shapes have been getting more neutral, and I think there are fewer choices now for narrow or round heads.

FWIW I've had no problems wearing sunglasses under my Arai helmets.

If you haven't, you might look at the web bike world helmet shape page for a starting point. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
If you can afford it have look at an Arai Profile, they are specially designed for a narrow head and you simply won't find a better helmet for your head. They are also currently discounted by $100 most places due to closeouts.
+1

They're discontinued, and you might want to hurry. Arai no longer makes a helmet that shape. Or as far as I can tell any helmet that doesn't make a pressure point on my forehead. The Profile doesn't.

You can get different liner thicknesses to customize the fit.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I Ordered a matt black 700 from Sportbiketrackgear.com for only $120. I have been reading alot of articles and reviews and it seems like this is the best helmet for the price.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The 700 is a great helmet for the the money. Consider getting the optional $7 chin skirt as it makes the helmet a lot quieter. Also consider getting an optional tinted visors but avoid the mirrored ones as the mirror coating ships off.

If you want the absolute best helmet for your head shape check out the Arai Profile
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:15 PM

Anyone use a Dual Sport helmet like the Fly Trekker ? Do the DS helmets lift like crazy ??
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM

My Exo-400 does have removeable liners, I've liked it, just wish it would vent better, but I don't think any helmet vents enough for Louisiana weather!
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:34 PM

I had a EXO-400. I grew to really hate it. Hot, very noisy, and it creaked like a cheap POS. Funny thing was I'd had another 400 that was very solid feeling, kids cut the strap to steal it and that was the end of that. I decided to throw down some real cash on a Shoie Qwest and while it cost twice as much it worth it. Cooler, MUCH quieter, and a solid as a rock. It also fits much better than the 400.

I did find the 400 was a better fit than the 700 or 1000, they were both for a rounder head it seemed and hurt my forehead.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

So I received my 700 helmet and have been riding with it for a week now. I must admit that I was apprehensive about a $120.00 helmet but not anymore. This helmet is really nice with no buffeting, or rising and has a rock solid feel. It vents pretty good and is surprisingly quiet, even with the vents open. In all I am really impressed with the quality and especially the stability when riding. My old helmet would cause me neck and trap stiffness after a 40 minute ride but this one does not. Great helmet for the money, thanks for the feedback guys.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM

What about the EXO 900 Transformer modular? Anyone here have one of those? Like....dislike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode