No offence? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No offence?

I was getting on my 2008 Versys to leave Home Depot on Saturday morning. As usual, I had on my hi-viz yellow/green Scorpion EXO-700 helmet, earplugs and high-viz yellow Tourmaster Sonora Air jacket. Just having a great morning, minding my own business.

A woman pulled up beside me in her car and said something to me but I could not hear her with the ear plugs and helmet. I put my bike back on the stand, got off and walked over to her and apologized that I could not hear her from where I was.

Apparently she said/asked "That's such a bright pretty riding outfit you're wearing, where did you get it?"

After assessing she wasn't busting my chops (I think), I told her the jacket was from Revzilla.com and that I bought the helmet at a local bike shop. She thanked me and drove off. Okay then.

Twenty minutes later I almost got whacked by a minivan (she did not see me or my high-viz gear or my red bike or my headlight even though I was the only vehicle on the road) and later that day an 80 year old or so man pulled out right in front of me on the highway (I just knew he was going to do it so it was no surprise) so I'm not sure the high-viz stuff makes much difference.

Another time a few years ago I was walking from my Screaming Yellow Mustang GT at the edge of the Walmart parking lot towards the store and an older man walking by me said "That's an awfully bright yellow car for a fella to be driving." Geez.

I'm starting to get a complex about bright colors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
MTS

Actually I think people in general are becoming more arrogant. The reason is these TV shows that punk everybody and then they want to do it too! We are not in the 70-80's anymore!

The brighter the better but I don't want two flags on fiberglass poles on my bike? Come on!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 06-27-2012 at 08:22 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM

High viz gear is clearly more visible than, say, black, but being on a motorcycle you are small in relation to cages and that makes you hard to see no matter what you're wearing. The A-pillar on most cars can completely obstruct the driver's view of a motorcycle, as can the mirrors on trucks. Compound that with the distracted state so many people drive in and you have a bad situation for motorcyclists. Wear high viz, shine your extra lights, be prepared with a loud horn -- but never stop assuming that you are invisible to drivers.

The best comment I've received about my high viz gear (then brand new) was from a little boy who stopped dead in his tracks, looked up at me and asked, "Are you a super hero?" I told him that sometimes my daughter thinks so.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:04 PM

The best comment I've received about my high viz gear (then brand new) was from a little boy who stopped dead in his tracks, looked up at me and asked, "Are you a super hero?" I told him that sometimes my daughter thinks so.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:26 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
High viz gear is clearly more visible than, say, black, but being on a motorcycle you are small in relation to cages and that makes you hard to see no matter what you're wearing. The A-pillar on most cars can completely obstruct the driver's view of a motorcycle, as can the mirrors on trucks. Compound that with the distracted state so many people drive in and you have a bad situation for motorcyclists. Wear high viz, shine your extra lights, be prepared with a loud horn -- but never stop assuming that you are invisible to drivers.

Agree on blind angle/spot in today cars which sometime make drives missing us.
Wear as bright as you can and it will save you.
ATGATT.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 PM

I know what you mean. I drive a yellow Jeep and sometimes get that look. No one has had the scones to actually say something to my face though.

People suck.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 AM

About a month ago my brother and I made a water stop at a convenient store. We were both wearing our hi-viz gear. A nice lady pulled up beside our bikes, got out, approached us and said "I watch out for you guys on bikes everytime I get behind the wheel. And I want to say thank you for wearing these bright visible jackets and helmets. We can see you much better than the guys wearing all that black leather and stuff".

We can never conquer a driver's distractions as they will see what they choose to see. But I can do everything I can think of to better my chances of being able to ride again another day.

I'm still waiting on someone to make a pair of hi-viz mesh armoured pants!

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
whenever I'm in any kind of trafffic (95% of the time), I'm watching the mirrors on the cages & trailer draggers. No matter what I'm wearing if I can't see a face in the mirror I'm looking for somewhere else to be. Trust no one and remember there is right of WAY & right of WEIGHT
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
+1 Bones

I'm sure the op is just ranting, I would too. But it's always worth clarifying the high viz isn't a guarantee of any kind, it just helps.

As do headlight modulators (although admittedly they're controversial), brake light modulators, weaving back and forth to make yourself more visible... etc

No matters what we do though, we don't have too many tools to deal with a completely distracted driver, other than to 'be prepared' for that sort of thing...

glad u made it through the day racefan
Maybe a mini-rant but not a full-blown one. I can work up one of those pretty quick too I expect.

The woman in the minivan was coming towards me from the opposite direction. I should have been fully visible directly in front of her and we were the only two vehicles around. I guess she needed to turn left in front of me instead of waiting for me to go past. I think she was arguing with or yelling at her kids but seemed definitely to be distracted. I'd already slowed down a bit because I had a funny feeling she was on a mission to get where she was going and I wasn't going to argue the space with her.

I'm sure this same type of thing has happened to everyone on here numerous times but even though it doesn't generally surprise me when it happens, it still does a bit when I'm directly in front of them, coming towards them, with a headlight on and hi-viz gear, no sun in their eyes, no other traffic, nice weather and road conditions, right in what should be the center of their field of view and they still don't notice.

Ok, I feel the rant-o-meter getting going a bit so I'll stop now.

I was out all morning today on the bike again and other than the heat and humidity, it was a blissfully uneventful cruise.

I'll stick with the high-viz stuff because I think it'd be even worse without it on. Plus the Tourmaster Sonora Air jacket has worked out great. I've worn it in temperatures ranging from 33F to 95F, in sun and in rain and no complaints from me. I also have the Tourmaster Overpants and they work great for me too, although they're black, not high-viz. I do need to find a new pair of gloves. My First Gear Carbon Guard gloves are getting a bit beat up and, well, gamey.

My totally gearless Harley-riding buddies tease me mercilessly about my ATGATT motto (I just say falling hurts and I don't like pain). More importantly my youngest daughter's friends thinks I look like a giant highlighter but they love highlighters so it's all good.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 PM

My daughter compares my gear to a power ranger suit. My hair stylist (the gal is too good looking to call her anything else) call it the spaceman suit. The young kids at the school bus stop in front of my house think my gear and the bike are cool and that cruisers and cruiser riders are not.

No one I know that have seem me riding can tell why other drivers cant see me. However, I ridelike I am invisible.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:01 PM

They may not see you because they just aren't used to looking for bikes.

No Video

Or worse...(British shock ad...you've been warned)
No Video

While it's never a bad idea to dress in hi-viz, there's no way to guarantee that you'll be seen. Assume you are invisible, and be careful out there...

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Statistically I think you are somewhere in the range of 30% less likely to smucked by a car wearing hi-vis gear. I'm too lazy to Google the link but there are a few of them out there if anyone doubts me.

The other nice thing abut Hi-Vis I find is it I think positively affects some car drivers perception of the wearer as a responsible motorcyclist. I passed an oncoming patrol car at 20km over the limit on a back road. It's how they troll for speeders here, drive one way and clock the oncoming cars. I don't know if it was my hi-vis gear or what but he ignored me and kept on going.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
They may not see you because they just aren't used to looking for bikes.

No Video

Or worse...(British shock ad...you've been warned)
No Video

While it's never a bad idea to dress in hi-viz, there's no way to guarantee that you'll be seen. Assume you are invisible, and be careful out there...

Dave C
Man i was proud of myself for counting the correct number of passes. then the guy had to mention that damn moonwalking bear.i failed......

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:38 PM

When I started looking for bikes, my wife's family kept telling me not to, I would get hit, people won't see me. Really?

I drive a 70' long, 13'3" tall, 8' wide vehicle every day for work, it's called a semi, in the last 4 yrs I've been hit 5 times by people who didn't see me. Um, how the f**k can you miss a vehicle that big?

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
I drive a 70' long, 13'3" tall, 8' wide vehicle every day for work, it's called a semi, in the last 4 yrs I've been hit 5 times by people who didn't see me. Um, how the f**k can you miss a vehicle that big?
Wow, that sure does add an interesting perspective to it. You'd think a semi would be hard to miss!

My brother drives a tanker for a chemical plant and even though his vehicle is covered with Danger and Explosive and Stay Back signs, he says people still drive like a bunch of kamikazes around him and cut him no slack whatsoever. They don't seem to appreciate that one dumb move someone else makes around his vehicle that he can't avoid would not leave enough of anyone within a few hundred feet to bury.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
Wow, that sure does add an interesting perspective to it. You'd think a semi would be hard to miss!

My brother drives a tanker for a chemical plant and even though his vehicle is covered with Danger and Explosive and Stay Back signs, he says people still drive like a bunch of kamikazes around him and cut him no slack whatsoever. They don't seem to appreciate that one dumb move someone else makes around his vehicle that he can't avoid would not leave enough of anyone within a few hundred feet to bury.
I've added this comment to several threads

PEOPLE ARE STUPID
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:18 PM.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM

I always tell my kids...the minute anyone gets behind the wheel of a car they become certifiable idiots!
Truth...
americans put more thought into opening their refrigerator than they do operating an automobile.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode