Open Face Helmets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Open Face Helmets

I'm not a big fan of open face helmets, and haven't owned one for years. Last weekend I bought a Bell Mag9, I bought it for riding in the heat, my buddy wears an open face helmet when it's hot, and I thought I would try it hoping to extend my riding in hot weather.

I wore it last weekend, and really like it. I know they are not as safe as a full face helmet, but it beats the heck out of not riding in 90 degree temps....

'15 DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 AM

does Snell foundation certify open face helmets?
I personally would never trust the integrity of a DOT helmet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 AM

There is certainly a freedom to an open face helmet. I have an HJC AC3 Carbon Helmet. It is open face and Snell rated. I use it from time to time depending on which bike I ride or how the mood strikes me! I do have a full pull down shield installed and it is very comfortable.

I do however wear my Scorpion FF most rides on the V.

OP,

Any helmet is better than no helmet, so ride on!

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:02 AM

Can't do an Open Face... Don't know why. Just can't.
Arai XD3 with the visor cracked about half an inch does it for me in Florida where it's regularly pushing and many days over 100 degrees in the summertime.
ATGATT gear makes it brutal at times.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 AM

Never used one in 30 years tho' it must, I presume, give an additional feeling of freedon. However, will make a mess of your chops if you hit the road.. And anyway, don't they have a label on the back saying "For Use On Harley-Davidson Only"...!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
SNELL ratings aren't' what they are cracked up to be in fact the current SNELL rating now falls more in line with DOT and ECE ratings. Proper fit is far more important than the SNELL Rating. Here is an interesting thread from ADVRider

NY times article also worth reading

From the NY Times article
Quote:
Many head-injury scientists, motorcycle-accident researchers and helmet makers say they are concerned that the “premium protection" proffered by current Snell-certified helmets may not be better after all. They argue that current Snell-rated helmets are too rigid and unyielding to properly absorb impact energy in the great majority of motorcycle crashes, subjecting riders to preventable brain injuries.

Why is this a concern, considering that the new M2010 standard — a major revision that addresses some of the objections scientists and helmet makers have raised for decades — is coming next week? It stems from the fact that the Snell Foundation will continue to certify helmets made under the Snell M2005 standard until March 31, 2012. There are now hundreds of thousands of pre-M2010 Snell helmets on rider’s heads, in garages and on retailer’s shelves, and hundreds of thousands more that will be made in coming years — which means that riders, especially those with smaller heads, will have to pay close attention when buying a helmet.

In one test the Snell M2005 standard requires each helmet to withstand two successive impacts against an orange-sized steel hemisphere without subjecting the aluminum “headform” inside to more than 300 times the force of gravity, or 300 g’s.

Hugh H. Hurt, a researcher who developed the Head Protection Research Laboratory at the University of Southern California, and author of the Hurt Report, a seminal study of motorcycle crashes, calls the current Snell M2005 standard “a little bit excessive.”

“What should the limit on helmets be?” Mr. Hurt asks, referring the g-force levels. “They should be softer, softer, softer. Because people are wearing these so-called high performance helmets and are getting diffuse brain injuries — well, they’re screwed up for life. Taking 300 g’s is not a safe thing.”
\

So with all that said wear what you want, know the risk and enjoy your ride. In the summer I trade my heavy Kevlar or padded riding pants for jeans,...I know the extra risk I take, being more comfortable on the bike out weighs the extra risk for me.
Its all about PERSONAL CHOICE.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 AM

Having recently read an article linked to from this forum regarding helmet impact areas, and finding that it appears the majority of impacts happen on the lower right jaw area, I'll stick with my full face modular that I can open up at a light for extra venting, I think.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
So with all that said wear what you want, know the risk and enjoy your ride... Its all about PERSONAL CHOICE.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM

I am used to helmet law / no-helmet law threads but it looks like my first thread that will discuss Full Face () , Open Face () thread. Proceed!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedseven50 View Post
And anyway, don't they have a label on the back saying "For Use On Harley-Davidson Only"...!
Apparently that label is also on the head rags many Harley riders "protect" themselves with. Oh yeah, and on the tank tops, T-shirts, and demin vests as well - all the proper riding gear, don't you know.

Still, as Capn Kirk said, it's a personal choice. It's rather apparent to me that some riders put much more faith in the Almighty's protection than I do when I ride. Perhaps I'm just trying to help myself and Him as much as I can. Or maybe Harley riders are so skilled they never crash. Not bloody likely!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 06-27-2012 at 09:16 AM.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
:
Hey Capn Kirk, you'd better keep your shields up. There appears to be some sort of small black and silver container-like alien craft flying in close formation with you, just off your six o'clock!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 AM

I'm with goat on this one. I'd rather not potentially rip off my jaw.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Lets not turn this into a HD bashing thread...I see plenty of Metric bike riders not wearing any helmet so a half helmet is still better than none and we are talking about 3/4 helmets for the most part...There is no question a full face non-modular helmet is going to offer the best protection...Modular probably being second. As someone who wear glasses FF helmets are PIA....I prefer the modular..I realize it offers less protection since there is a chance the latch could fail in a crash. However the HI-Viz coloring offsets that short coming......

I also Have a 3/4 with a full shield....I don't use it much since I got the modular...but it does offer great field of vision compared to any FF helmet.

Also run an AFX DS helmet when I ride the KLR....I like that one as well...good field of view and ventilation....not good for cold days.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Having recently read an article linked to from this forum regarding helmet impact areas, and finding that it appears the majority of impacts happen on the lower right jaw area, I'll stick with my full face modular that I can open up at a light for extra venting, I think.
All a modular is, is a 3/4 with a face shield. Does not take much effort to open them in a crash or have it rip off the helmet. There are very few of them that receive a Snell rating.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Uhhhhhhhh.....now I know why I haven't owned one in years. You guys are right....

Ebay here we come (i've got 4 full face helmets).

'15 DL1000
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Don't care for open face helmets. Raced motocross in the 70's if you wanted extra protection you added to you open face a scotts facemask & goggles and a bill.Then they came out with the ironjaw for better protection. Love my modular will never buy a full face helmet. But then i take showers without a mat in the tub...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
i take showers without a mat in the tub...
tmi

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Don't care for open face helmets. Raced motocross in the 70's if you wanted extra protection you added to you open face a scotts facemask & goggles and a bill.Then they came out with the ironjaw for better protection. Love my modular will never buy a full face helmet. But then i take showers without a mat in the tub...
if you won't shower with mat, can we at least convince you to try sarah??
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:48 PM

If this is what I can look like in a bicycle crash at, what, 15mph, I'll stick to my full face thankyouverymuch!

http://www.mediamatic.net/142481/en/...rash-portraits

To each their own though. I wish you safe travels.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
if you won't shower with mat, can we at least convince you to try sarah??

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode