Now I think I know why! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Now I think I know why!

I get ask to ride clean up all the time! Is it my mad riding skills, NOT likely, knowledge of the roads, I get lost on the way to work, so nope. I know I can fix anything anywhere right? Out of gas better call a wreaker!

So why?

I was looking at my gear and noted that my mesh jacket look filthy both from road grime and dead bugs so I decided to wash it. The tag said to hand wash in warm water with mild soap only so I pulled the armor out and dumped it in a tub full of warmish soapy water and the water turned GREY! AND STINKY! I got a rag and scrubbed the shell best I could and it looked better. I then had to rinse it 3 times to get clear water back. I washed it again and it looked a lot better and I rinsed it really well and it’s hanging out side drying now.

Of course the fun’s getting the armor back in right. I took photos of it so I do have a fighting chance.

AND who knows I maybe I’ll allowed to ride with polite company again!

Seriously, take care of your gear and it will take care of you. This stuff’s only so tough and dirt will degrade it rapidly. AND read the tags inside on care, I was all set to dump it in the washer on hot!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 AM

Good on ya, stinker..lol
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 AM

I once had a nice light grey riding suit but now it's bug juice camo colored. Even I get disgusted by it. Might be time to try washing it again but that stuff just does not come out.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I just throw mine in the washing machine and it works great. But then its a front loading machine so thier alot easier on clothes. Use to take the armor out but now just leave it in. Then just hang it up to dry.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 03:17 PM

I have also tried to hand wash mine, with less than wanted results. After a 3000 mile trip I put it in the washer on hand wash, and hung it up outside to dry. It turned out much better. I did take the armor out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 12:30 PM

The only thing I don't love about living and riding out in the country is all the bugs! That's why I always buy darker colored jackets, the bugs are just murder on the white, yellow or grey stuff!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 PM

I have an Olympia Stealth one piece mesh that I run thru the front loader now and then.
I do take the armor out...
So far, so good.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode