Leather or textile - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Leather or textile

I can afford to pay for decently protective and functional gear but don't want to waste my money either. Looking for either a decent quality leather jacket with perforation and liners or a similar quality Adv. Tour style jacket. What I know I don't want is a polyester jacket with minimal abrasion resistance. Abrasion resistance is important so from my research so far I probably want Cordura or something similar with textile. How do they compare? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Well, leather will always be best right? unless you can afford kangaroo, that's what the racers wear, very very expensive.

If money isn't tight, I'd very seriously look at the Kevlar stuff (made by Cycleport and Motoport and others). I have some Draggin Jeans with Kevlar and like them very much.

Your weather is a significant factor too imho. If you're in a very warm area (Tucson here), leather is just too hot even if it's perforated. I can only wear a mesh jacket here in the summer, anything else is just overwhelming.

Not sure I've helped at all here... but hey! trying!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:06 PM

It all depends on where you are. I have the Olympia Air Glide 2 jacket and pants, and I really like it. The only thing I wish is that the jacket was 3/4 length, and I'd also choose a different colour than black...Father's Day is coming, though.

I haven't worn a leather suit, but I find the mesh great for the daily commute. As I don't really have a place to change at the office other than a bathroom stall, being able to wear my work clothes underneath the gear and not overheat was a major consideration for me. And since the Olympia gear uses Cordura nylon, it should hold up better than jeans alone if I go down.

Just my $0.02,
Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:18 PM

I just did a long HOT weekend the length of Florida and back in an Olympia Stealth one piece mesh suit and was pretty darn comfortable as long as I was on the move. I did strip it down to the waist and let it hang during a 20 minute stop at Subway. It was good with showers too... it dried out quickly as long as I wasn't complete soaked.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Have one made at motoport.com they have air mesh Kevlar jackets and suits they run $500 or more and are acutom fit to you any size

Last edited by southbark; 06-09-2012 at 08:21 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Garage
I have a textile 3 in 1 type jacket with liners. A textile very light mesh, and a heavy protective Alpinestars leather. In the last 2 years, no matter how hot it is, I only wear the leather one. I just think its great and I know it will hold up the best if I need it.

When shopping, I found it was hard to get a good fit with leather, and the Alpinestars was probably about the 15th one Itried, but it fits and feels great.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Aerostich, Olympia, Motoport. All you need, everything you need.

Tourmaster makes some really nice stuff too at a budget price.

All modern riding gear is fitted with armor in the contact points, so as long as it fits right the fabric is less important from a sliding standpoint. Temperature control and weather proofness seem to be the key factors these days.

Klim is another to look at although their gear is more directed at the adventure rider.
Personally I really like Aerostich, I think they make really nice gear for fair prices. Olympia is really good too.

Revit seems to have a few pieces that are really top-shelf as well. And they have a leather line too.

EDIT: Firstgear is another budget line, pretty nice stuff.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hi Sprocket, like others have said it depends on climate where you live, when i got back into bikes i brought a heavy armoured modern leather jacket and it would have very good impact protection as well as better abrasion resistance but did find it a problem as over here we can ride in 4 seasons in one day and when leather gets wet it takes a while to dry and if it gets hot it can be unbearable so we changed to good textile gear.

Most modern textile gear willl have armour, some good abrasion protection (maybe not up to leather standards), rain resistant, good for hot weather riding with vents etc and will dry out a lot faster after being caught in heavy rain than leather. On longer trips or dodgy weather is forcast we take our one piece rain suits with us.

If you are on a budget then i am sure you will have plenty of choices for middle of the road gear that will serve your purpose and be versatile like the versys
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I just got the "sliders" textile/mesh/Kevlar 3/4 jacket and pants. All season with rain and thermal liners. On the versys they work good a flowing some air. They even make tall sizes. Going to wear them 21 days in a row this summer on my trip to CO, UT, WY, SD, AZ, NM, etc.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:56 PM

I'm a strong supporter of Motoport/Cycleport. I recommend their kevlar, air-mesh jacket with the ballistic pads. Two years ago, I did a low-side at 45 mph, slid 20-30 yards, walked away with no injuries other than sore muscles. I also use their ballistic pants. For winter I add heated vest and heated glove liners.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 AM

Cycle Gear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I can afford to pay for decently protective and functional gear but don't want to waste my money either. Looking for either a decent quality leather jacket with perforation and liners or a similar quality Adv. Tour style jacket. What I know I don't want is a polyester jacket with minimal abrasion resistance. Abrasion resistance is important so from my research so far I probably want Cordura or something similar with textile. How do they compare? Suggestions?
My local Cycle Gear Store has a fantastic selection of leather and textile gear in all price ranges....from really cheap to very pricy and if you have the time try on lots of styles ...some of the china made stuff is very well made , cheap too

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
djg

If you can wear off the rack sizes, this is a very nice leather/cordura jacket. matching pants available. Custom sizes are expensive and take months, I investigated and passed. I am a gear junkie, I have Aerostich, Motoport, and Fox Creek, to name a few. All good.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-S...cket-488.aspx?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to zielony Send a message via Skype™ to zielony
i would like to have both sets, leather for track and textile for tourism

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I used to have some leather gear, from AGV Sport, Icon and Joe Rocket. Good stuff, solid and really heavy. For comfort I decided to go textile and I am very happy with my current Scopion XDR Assault jacket for most of my season. Has a removable waterproof liner, and a small vest liner for added warmth (though I just wear my electric gear and I am real toasty!), and has a lot of ventilation for temperatures up to about 80 degrees. After that I put on my AGV Sport Solare jacket, which flows a ton of air and has a separate waterproof liner for those summer rainstorms.

Bottom line; wear the gear as it will make a huge difference in the event of an accident, as I can attest to from experiance. Few years ago I was side swiped by an SUV on a parkway at about 55 mph on my old FZ-1. Flew down the road, but as I was in full gear, even on a 90+ degree day, I was able to get up and walk away. Aches, pains, stiffness, sure; but I am here to tell the tale and that's what counts...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Here is some opinion from the folks at Aerostich. They make the Roadcrafter & Darian textile suits & jackets.
It might help a person make a decision on textile or leather.

- Crash and Abrasion Considerations?
Compared to leather of the same weight and thickness, Cordura nylon is a stronger material. But hides are thicker and heavier so they offer greater abrasion resistance. We repair about twenty or thirty Aerostich garments a month. About a third of these were in crashes that produced some abrasion damage. Several common themes have emerged. Though Aerostich suits are not as abrasion resistant as racing leathers, they offer significant and useful protection, especially at typical street speeds.

Aerostich wearers often think of their suit as sacrificial in the same way a car's airbag gets used up by its deployment. These garments are lighter, cooler and easier to use in bad weather (etc...), but less crash-durable than leathers. On average, street riders seem to crash only at infrequent intervals. How gear feels and works during the intervening years of use and the tens of thousands of miles of riding is very important. Most street crashes occur between 20 and 50 mph, not between 50 and 100. For each Roadcrafter suit that was in a 100 mph crash, we get dozens that need smaller repairs because the rider fell down at 35 mph . For these kinds of everyday spills, even the fanciest leathers do not offer protective advantages. We make gear to help you use a motorcycle more and be better protected. It has to be safe, easy to use, and comfortable for everyday riding.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Just to share, I have both.
Waterproof Cordura with ce approve armor from fieldshear and a ce approve leather jacket from iz2. I wear my Cordura on a daily basis to the office and night ride. Reason being, to the office cause it,s waterproof,at night it keeps me warm enough..
The leather is use on weekends and high speed crusing. Leather is good for high speed run rather than my cordura,but too cold for night rides,as tested on my er6n,versys and my brother's z1000.
You will sure to feel difference once you have tried both.. By the way,my cordura jacket is over 8 years old,still going strong...

Last edited by doowutchyalike; 08-08-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode