Where to mount GoPro - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Where to mount GoPro

Where do you mount your GoPro on your Versys?
Ive got a GoPro just laying around from when I had my KLR. I had it mounted on the side of the KLR's faring and I liked it but I dont really want to mount it on the pretty V paint.
What is everyones opinion of helmet mounts? I like watching bike mounted cameras over helmet mounts but I do like the flexibility of a helmet mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 PM

I just bought their "chesty" chest harness mount. I think it will be a good perspective from a bit below the head. I am going to try it this weekend if the weather cooperates but it doesn't look too promising.

2013 Versys1000
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 PM

Ray that's a good question and hopefully this thread can be a good document for this subject.

Wish I could remember the name of the other rider on here that did this already, maybe he will chime and and credit can be given where credit is due.

The two mounts he used, one was on the front fork near the lower triple tree. Some kind of a round band around the fork, and the vid-cam attached to that. Very Stable! Anyone who's tried this sort of thing on other bikes knows, an issue we face is vibration. It can be horrible depending on the mounting point. This mounting point is very stable though.

The other point was very clever. Drill a hole in the windscreen close to where the existing holes are and mount a ram ball there. Believe he put the hole in a place where a longer ram ball bolt could go all the way into the frame (the way the other windscreen bolts do), thus making it even more stable.

Haven't personally gotten to doing this yet myself. But they absolutely do seem the best places (vibration wise) to put a go-pro.

Don't like the helmet mounts myself either, just can't feel the lean of the bike that way...

have fun.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Mount On Windscreen Bracket For Photos

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-mot...am-b-367u.html

IMG_1320 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1323 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Whats needed for the camera for videos is below.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-uti...inch-ball.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-cam...m-b-202au.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-sho...-b-201u-a.html

IMG_0175 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0176 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0177 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0178 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1431 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-26-2016 at 12:38 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM

Garage
When i had a GoPro i had it mounted to the windscreen.

IMG_0517 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0103 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-06-2012 at 11:07 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 PM

I have a different helmet now, with a pad to mount the camera stuck to the side of the chin bar. I explain how the camera is mounted in the different spots in this video. Sorry in advance for the buzzing noise that develops later in the video. I have solved that with a different tether.

IBA # 49372
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 AM

Hey thanks guys those are some great mounting places. Helps those of us out that haven't done that yet.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Nice....
Im liking the one mounted to the windshield bracket. Its so simple I didnt even think of it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 AM

I mount my GoPro on my saddlebags. It gives a good video with little to no vibration and an interesting angle. I have Pelican style bags so the flat front makes it easy. I also have a mount on top of my helmet just to change it up. You can check out my Youtubes if you want the perspective.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:12 PM

Garage
If you have a topcase you can attach a GoPro mount there also. In the photo you can see the one i had lower left section of the Givi E-55. You can click on the photo for a larger view

IMG_0110 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 PM

I mount my cameras in as many different places as I can as I think having variety makes the videos more interesting. I bought the setup Weljo has on the front fork and it works well but it is slightly more fiddly with a GoPro (you cannot adjust the lens angle so if you turn the camera 90's you are shooting at 90's). I also got one of the longer RAM mounts and with my Contour I can shoot backwards from that position. I also have one of the GoPro sticky mounts just below my brake light and that has worked out well for me. Got lots of great shots from there of buddies behind me.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
On the helmet is great if just want clear shots of what you are looking at. Doesn't provide any perspective on how much you lean the bike since your eyes stay parallel to the road. The chesty is nice as long as you keep your posture the same while riding the bike. If you lean forward in the tight stuff you are now taking video too low. I haven't tried a mount point on the Versys, but haven't decided where on the Versys there won't be any buzzing.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Speaking of buzzzzzing. I just mounted mine on the windshield and rode back and forth to work a couple of times. I like the view that it gives, just straight down the road, shows lean angles and all the traffic in front, but it makes me very aware of my dash buzz. I really need to do something about that, its just plain irritating now.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Speaking of buzzzzzing. I just mounted mine on the windshield and rode back and forth to work a couple of times. I like the view that it gives, just straight down the road, shows lean angles and all the traffic in front, but it makes me very aware of my dash buzz. I really need to do something about that, its just plain irritating now.

Heres the difference between the windshield mount and the fork tube mount as well as the comparison between the GoPro and the Drift Camera.

GoPro mounted on the givi windscreen....

Drift HD170 mounted on the Fork Tube....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Heres the difference between the windshield mount and the fork tube mount as well as the comparison between the GoPro and the Drift Camera.

GoPro mounted on the givi windscreen....

Drift HD170 mounted on the Fork Tube....
thnx for that Weljo, it makes it really obvious that you want to go to the trouble of mounting it on the fork tube. As you've said before.

probably easier to mount in other places, less thought involved etc. But the fork tube position is obviously the one with the least amount of vibration. And I can say for sure, video editing software does have anti-vibration capabilities, but it doesn't work quite as well as one might think. And it can actually add some rather odd effects if you know where to look

Yup, the fork tubes for me... just have to figure out how
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
thnx for that Weljo, it makes it really obvious that you want to go to the trouble of mounting it on the fork tube. As you've said before.

probably easier to mount in other places, less thought involved etc. But the fork tube position is obviously the one with the least amount of vibration. And I can say for sure, video editing software does have anti-vibration capabilities, but it doesn't work quite as well as one might think. And it can actually add some rather odd effects if you know where to look

What kind of camera do you have.?

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Garage
Quote:

This should do it.... they have a video on the first link..

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-gop...-hol-gopr.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-cam...m-b-202au.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-sho...-b-201u-a.html

It should look like this except where i have mine mounted earlier in the thread.....

pic01056-1 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-09-2012 at 02:35 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
What kind of camera do you have.?
Have the GoPro, seems like your links are older? No matter. Found what you were pointing to:

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-uti...inch-ball.html

and it will be on the way shortly Thanks! I thought that was something you made yourself. So this will be much easier! I love GPSCity
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Garage
Quote:

Heres a video off pavement showing the forktube is the way to go. I tried lots of different places to mount and none were close. I've got about 4 other ram mounts collecting dust. I never use the software for stabilization

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode