Mesh pants for long ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mesh pants for long ride

I am going on a two week ride through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas in July and want to be comfortable in the summer heat. I am looking for some mesh pant recommendations. I am currently leaning toward the Johnny Rocket Phoenix 3.0. I plan to use rain pants and (if necessary) silk thermals if the weather is too cool in the higher elevations. I would like to stay under $150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 PM

Subscribed.

My overpants are way too hot in the summer. Something breathable and durable would be nice.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 Pants - $135 at Revzilla and other places.
http://joerocket.com/catalog/index.c...oenix_3.0_Pant

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 06-06-2012 at 02:34 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
I am going on a two week ride through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas in July and want to be comfortable in the summer heat. I am looking for some mesh pant recommendations. I am currently leaning toward the Johnny Rocket Phoenix 3.0. I plan to use rain pants and (if necessary) silk thermals if the weather is too cool in the higher elevations. I would like to stay under $150.
I use the fieldsheer mesh riding over pants, they have the armor in the knees and padding in the hip area plus the leg zippers go all the way to the hip as well so they are easy on and off...I use them over jeans even in the humid georgia summer and stay comfortable plus I wear them over shorts too so on longer stops I can easily take them off...Plus they come with a liner pants too for colder mornings...

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:12 PM

I have the Scorpion Deuce pants that breathe really well with the rainliner out, they are fully padded and are available in tall sizes as well if you are a lanky bastard like me. The Joe Rockets are always good, so you should have lots of options...have a great trip!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM

I've been very happy with my Tourmaster Venture Air pants (Venture is textile, Venture Air is textile/mesh). They come with 2 removable liners, one insulating and the other waterproof. The liners are pretty quick to switch out.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM
MTS

Thats a hard call because of rain and colder weather! Then its hot again? I have First Gear over pants, Sliders under. The liners are perfect but you have to pull over and put the perfect liner in and change liners?

Colder rain gear on! Colder rain gear off!

Have a great trip!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
Most pants in the $150 price range are usually made of polyester which offers negligible abrasion resistance. You can have abrasion resistance or low price but not both with textile gear. This is what I ended up with but it may be more than you want to spend (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=19590). If you want to be comfortable for long periods in the saddle don't wear jeans under them. Mesh pants are really cool but you can't adjust the venting as the temp falls. Zipper vents are more versatile for say when you start out on a cold morning and then it warms up. Look for decent hip padding, a lot of manufacturers skimp on this. Also elastic expansion panels are important for comfort when you are seated on the bike with your legs and hips bent, otherwise the pants need to be extra baggy to allow for movement, which is not so good for holding the armor in place.

Product / Material | Pounds of force until fabric tears | Abrasion cycles until fabric fails

CottonJeans 4.5 pounds to tear 50 cycles to failure
70 Denier Standard Nylon 4.5 pounds to tear 165 cycles to failure
500 Denier Polyester 8 pounds to tear 180 cycles to failure
200 Denier Standard Nylon 7.5 pounds to tear 275 cycles to failure
500 Denier Cordura 22 pounds to tear 710 cycles to failure
620 Denier Cordura 35 pounds to tear 1200 cycles to failure
NEW Competition Grade Leather 80-110 pounds to tear 1200-1700 cycles to failure
1000 Denier Cordura 110 pounds to tear 1780 cycles to failure

Last edited by twowheels; 06-06-2012 at 08:36 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://store.teizms.com/search.asp?k....y=0&search=GO

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM
MTS

When it was cold I have always been glad to have my sliders on with the shell on the out side nice and warm, but not when its hot! Ha! Ha!

July? Depending on what type of year it is? Sometimes it can get cold!

I think thats right though if you can get a well vented rain proof pant for $300 or $400 that would possibly be best?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 06-06-2012 at 09:10 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 PM

I use a pair of regular windproof running pants to put OVER my mesh pants when the temps drop a little. I find it way easier and much faster than having to find a private area to yank off the pants, zip in the liner and then put the pants back on. I found a pair of Nike pants for $20 and they aren't much more material than the liner.

Just looked at Competition Accessories http://www.compacc.com/Apparel-Motor...nts-Mesh-Pantsand they have several brands below $140. I kinda like the Fly.

I have but can't recommend the Scorpion Deuce. Zipper blew out on their 2nd ride 4 hours into an 8-day vacation. Ands it's not good to ride with safety pins anywhere around the crotch area! Hope SUREFIRE has had better luck. Also had a pair of gloves that unraveled in the their first riding season. Great helmets, tho'.

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:42 AM

With motorcycle gear you get what you pay for. Almost everyone I know starts motorcycling with the cheapest gear they can find and then ends up later upgrading to decent quality stuff once they discover how much better and more versatile it is. You won't regret purchasing better quality gear, it stands up better, fits better, and just works better. Usually the usable temperature range is a lot larger too. IMO you'll use it more because of this.

Last edited by Sprocket; 06-07-2012 at 12:50 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
joe rocket phoenix 3.0 pants - $135 at revzilla and other places.
http://joerocket.com/catalog/index.c...oenix_3.0_pant
+1

lop
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 AM

I have the Olympia and have never regretted them. I have a closet full of gear I've accumulated over the last couple decades and would select them for the ride you are describing. The nice thing about buying quality gear the first time around is unless you wreck wearing it, you will likely still have it to choose from 10-20 years from now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode