Headlight Modulators - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Headlight Modulators

Does anyone use the headlight modulators that flash and the Backoff tail light? I would like to have your opinion. Where did you purchase them?

Henry

2011 Versey
2007 Honda SilverWing
2008 Honda ForeMan ATV
2008 Honda Shadow 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 PM

I have the Backoff XP (XP model is for LED tailights) and like it a lot. Simple install. Most of my high mileage friends have them also.

Not a fan of the headlight modulators though,
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:44 AM

I've had a headlight modulator on my last 3 bikes, but not on the Versys. One thing about those is you want to turn them on before you get into traffic. Don't turn it on when you recognize a problem as some people may misinterpret that as a signal to "go" (the flashing your headlights thing).

Not had an XP but have had hyper-lites on the last 4 or so bikes... wouldn't ride without them, they definitely get most peoples attention.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Does anyone use the headlight modulators that flash and the Backoff tail light? I would like to have your opinion. Where did you purchase them?
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=9207

I purchased mine from valueaccessories.net. Click here for the Backoff XP order screen.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:32 AM

I had a headlight modulator on my KLR. I got the whole wiring/relay kit from http://www.comagination.com
I dont know if they have one that works on a Versys though.
I liked it when I had it on the KLR, it definately got peoples attention, it also irritated alot of people, especially the driver in front of me that would keep checking his rearview to see what that flashing is. At times it irritated me because it would flash and reflect off of signs and other vehicles as I approached them. It seemed like people would stare at me alot when it was on but people always stared at the KLR anyway. As for the safety aspect, I never had anyone pull out in front of me while I had the modulator, I know thats far from hard evidence. Ive considered getting one for the V but I probably wont for awhile just because I dont want to dig into the electrical system just yet.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 AM

I've used Diamond Star on my 09 V for the past three years. No problems. Definitely gets attention. See http://www.gadgetjq.com/headlightmodulator.htm for a discussion and a link to Diamond Star.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Don't turn it on when you recognize a problem as some people may misinterpret that as a signal to "go" (the flashing your headlights thing).
I was riding in a group with a guy in front with a modulator. Several times people cut in front of him and at a rest stop we discussed what could be the cause. One guy suggested people misinterpreting the flash as "go ahead." He shut off the light and no one cut in front of him the rest of the day. Not a lot of data points, but it seemed to solve the problem that day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Henry

2011 Versey
2007 Honda SilverWing
2008 Honda ForeMan ATV
2008 Honda Shadow 1100
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 PM

Glad to see the negative comments voiced as well as the positive. I find them very annoying and think that person should expect to have to lead any multi-bike ride. If it's annoying to other riders, you can imagine what caggers think.

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Agreed. Thats why I always shut mine off when following another bike in a group or if I was in tight slow moving traffic. I think there is a time and place to use it. Some people dont know that with a simple flip of a switch, its back to normal, so the modulator just gives you another option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDan View Post
Glad to see the negative comments voiced as well as the positive. I find them very annoying and think that person should expect to have to lead any multi-bike ride. If it's annoying to other riders, you can imagine what caggers think.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 PM

I hate headlight modulators. I love my back off xp brake light modulator.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 AM

I also have the Backoff Xp. It is an easy install and both my wife and and another guy I ride with say it works very well when they have followed me. It really caught their attention when I applied the brakes.
Another thing I like about it is sometimesif someone s following me a bit too close or it is still a little dark in the mornings, I will give the front brake lever a slight pull to give those behind me a little wake-up call. The free-play in the lever is just enough to activate the Backoff without actually braking.
Doesn't hurt to give a heads up once in a while.

2013 Versys1000
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 10:57 AM

I have the BackoffXP as well, my friend followed me on a ride a couple weeks ago and he said "Man, that thing that flashes your taillight woke me up a couple times... it's really easy to see!"

I figure that's a shining endorsement.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Well, the timing of this is ironic, just received an email about a fellow employee that had a commercial vehicle make a left hand turn in front of him.

broken collarbone, 5 broken ribs, slight puncture of his lung.

I know we all get kind of 'worked up' when it comes to headlight modulators. And there's all kinds of anecdotal evidence both pro and con.

But it's this exact scenario (left from the median) that is the most dangerous to us, and I don't know what else we can do?

I've heard the rebuttals before... "don't be in that lane", "it's never a problem for me" etc etc. But be realistic, we all find ourselves in those situations, it can't be avoided, and there's nothing we can do but hope they see us...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 AM

The problem with all the different motorcycle light mods is they have no consistency. If I didn't ride I would think a headlight modulator was an emergency vehicle or a bike telling me to go first. Remember car drivers don't research motorcycle light modifications and have no idea what we do with our bikes. I had a scenic mountain drive ruined by a Harley riding lady who had a "chasing" lighted plate frame, a brake light that did something goofy when she hit the brakes (I think), and really cool integrated turn signals that were so small you could barely tell whether she was going left or right. You had no idea what she was going to do, she would have been better off removing all her lights and going back to stock or using hand signals.
We do have a flash to pass button on our bikes which I use once in a while just to get drivers attention. I use this feature a lot more now that I have the stock pipe back on.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 AM

Im not really sure how anyone could mistake a modulator for anything but a modulator. By law they have to modulate the light output at least 200 times per minute. That's over 3 flashes per second continuously.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:45 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode