AFX FX140 initial thoughts - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
AFX FX140 initial thoughts

I just received my new AFX FX140 in Hi-Vis yellow from Revzilla.
I havent had a chance to ride with it yet so I'll give you guys my first impression and we will see if I am right as I use the helmet more.
Taking it out of the box Im impressed with the quality of the fit and finish. The finish is very good and it all fits together and works as it should. While the finish is good, and the controls and everything work well its obvious this is a value pointed helmet simply because of the feel of things (if that makes any sense). The padding leaves alot to be desired. The material feels thin, as does the padding itself. Im glad the foam lining fits my head fairly well because if it didnt, the padding sure wouldnt help. The cheek foam and padding is really tight, I must spread the helmet apart to get it on or off and it squeezes my cheeks together (hope no one takes that out of context) I think over time this will widen out on its own (it has in other helmets Ive had). The operation of the shield and chin bar are very good and dont reflect the cheap price of the helmet, especially the shield. This is possibly the smoothest shield Ive ever operated. Every time I move the shield up and down through its detents I smile. I had read bad reviews about distortion in the shield. I havent noticed it just walking around the house, maybe I will once I get on the road (Im watching for it). The field of vision from this helmet is great. Its noticably and functionally better than the vision from my Bell Revolver that this helmet replaced. The sun shield works well but doesnt quite go down far enough for my liking. I havent even riden with this thing and Im already in love with the ratcheting chin strap. Its a little spooky to think about how well the ratchet may or may not stay locked while tumbling down the road at 50MPH. I have to trust the manufacturer and testers on that one, because to me, while very convenient, this ratchet system doesnt seem very secure, hope I never find out.
That's all Ive got until I can get some miles in under it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok, Ive had a chance to put about 120 miles on the FX140.
So far its ok for the money with very good points and very bad ones.
It is super quiet compared to any other helmet Ive had. Under 35MPH is like riding in a cage, I get no wind noise at all, its almost spooky like Im riding in a vacuum or something. Once I get above 35 I start hearing some air around the bottom of the helmet. The shield seals great, I hear or feel nothing coming in between the shield and helmet. Something worth mentioning, I do have an aftermarket windshield that comes up to about nipple level (Ha HA he said nipple) but I do have relatively clean air around my helmet. I did not notice any significant amount of distortion in the shield with the shield completely down but if you raise it to the first notch, the distortion around the bottom of the shield is almost intolerable. Its mainly because of the shield and chin bar shape at the very front. The shield lift lip is also at the very front center of the shield, which interferes with your vision straight ahead with the shield in any position besides fully closed. I ride alot with the shield raised into the first notch and this has been an issue for me. It is worth saying that with the shield all the way down, visablility is fantastic in all directions.
The fit, for me, is comfortable but a little weird. It fits tight on my forehead and has tended to want to push the front of the helmet down my face. My face and brow feels smashed down like a blood hound's. Its not real bad and actually my HJC feels the same way so it may be something funky with my head and not the helmet.
The ventilation sucks, I cant tell if the vents are open or closed, Ive usually had a sweaty head when I pull the helmet off.

Last edited by ray h; 05-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode