looking for over pants - Olympia - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
looking for over pants - Olympia

I'm looking for a pair of general purpose over pants to wear over top of street pants for primarily commuting. The temps they will be used in will vary from 90F to 32F.

Currently considering the Olympia Ranger and XMoto pant. Does anyone have these? Will the Ranger (unvented, built in water proof liner) be too hot? Any other suggestions? I want to avoid polyester or lightweight nylon.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-15-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ive got a pair of Fieldsheer slip-on pants. I know you said you wanted to avoid "nylon" but just for comparison purposes, I'll throw these out there. If you arent interested, just ignore it, maybe someone will be.
For the money, not a bad purchase. I wear mine under the same conditions you describe and they do the job just fine. A couple of things that I like about them compared to some other overpants: The thigh pockets are great, the pants are waterproof as far as I can tell (Fieldsheer doesnt advertise "waterproof" but Ive been in the rain a few times with them and my dress pants underneath have stayed completely dry, even when the Fieldsheer pants are soaked on the outside), they are lightweight nylon so they arent much hotter than a pair of jeans, the full length leg zipper is a "dont do without" item, not only do they have standard soft CE pads at the knees but they also have hard armor there, and last but not least, only $80.

Things I dont like about them: the waist elastic is worthless and while they arent extremely hot, they could benefit from some kind of venting.

Ive had them a couple of years and they show no wear.
I would buy them again.

Last edited by ray h; 05-15-2012 at 04:55 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM

Check out Aerostich too. Their Darien and Darien Lite are designed to be worn over clothes/under gear. Full length zips, nice product. Not cheap tho.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM

Garage
First gear HT pants. These come with a removable liner. Water proof, zip to the hip, easy to wear over pants. I wear them over jeans. Good all year pants. I am wearing KLIM Dakar pants also over the jeans, you need to remove your boots to get them on and off. they have a lot of ventilation for the really warm days.

Ride while you can
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 PM

I am using x-element leather over pants from Leatherup.com. Temp range should work and they have full side zipper. They are lined down past knees. Would shed some rain but I am sure they wouldn't be water proof. Main drawback is they are heavy and a little restrictive when throwing leg over tall bike.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom edison View Post
First gear HT pants. These come with a removable liner. Water proof, zip to the hip, easy to wear over pants. I wear them over jeans. Good all year pants. I am wearing KLIM Dakar pants also over the jeans, you need to remove your boots to get them on and off. they have a lot of ventilation for the really warm days.
Don't want to hijack but how are those KLIM working out for you. I hear some great things about them.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bought the XMoto pants from http://www.marksmotogear.com/ . He was good to deal with and gave me a 10% discount for being a member of this forum. His shipping costs to Canada were also not inflated unlike some US online retailers like revzilla.com Now all I have to do is wait 3 weeks for them to make their way through Canada Customs Will post a review once I have got a chance to use them.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-16-2012 at 01:17 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 PM

I have the feildsheer too, don't know what model, they may be different from the above reply's but these are mesh with the hip and knee armor, full length zippers..On hot days I can wear shorts under them and still be protected..On longer rest stops I can remove and put on with ease...

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Don't want to hijack but how are those KLIM working out for you. I hear some great things about them.
I really like the KLIM's. Top quality. Very comfortable with articulated knees and crotch. Big ventilation on the thighs with a long zip.

Ride while you can

Last edited by tom edison; 05-19-2012 at 10:02 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I am seriously looking at the Olympia Airglide 3 Jacket and Pants. Dupont Cordura has superior abrasion resistance and the gear comes with wind/waterproof liners that can be worn separately which is useful when touring and not wanting to carry a lot of gear.

In the warm temps I would wear them over hiking shorts / T-shirt and in cooler temps over pants and heated liner.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 AM

I am riding with "ICON's" 'Compound Overpants'.
350.00 usd ain't cheap I suppose...but lying in a hospital bed for days on end waiting for the road rash to percolate the gravel and grit out of your flesh isn't cheap either!!! ( I caught a 'open-house sale' at "sportbiketrackgear.com" and only paid 297.00 usd...took the sting out of it a bit and they should last 4-EVER!
I wear them with cargo shorts. The full length two-way leg zippers make using the cargo pockets on the shorts a breeze. ( If it's chilly I start the day with 'Underarmor' 'Heat-gear' leggings. cold riding would be jeans and UA Cold-Gear leggings....no batteries required LOL!)

Leather w/ textile. leather is 1.4 mil at all impact points and as we all know, nothing is better than Leather when it comes to keeping your flesh intact Two zippered pockets on the front and a "zip"
to transfer to your jacket of choice to tie it all together for track-days and such.
CE Knee armor...but of course!
Check them out...I love'um!
Just sayin'
Peace.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 05-17-2012 at 09:34 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 AM
GDI

I'm looking to get a good pair of overpants, too. My deal is that I've been riding an ST1100 in foul weather, rainy or cold down to around 30 degrees F. I've got an old pair of Interstate brand chaps that I bought at the Farm Fleet 10 years ago. I wear them for warmth only. The advantage is that they're easy on, easy off for commuting, and they actually fit! I'm not all that tall (6' 2"), but I wear a size 34W X 36L pants in Wrangler and Levis. Now that I'm riding the V more, I'd like to sell off the ST. It's a heavy ol' pig compared to my V, and the ergos, don't work as well as the V either.

I'm looking at the Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 pants. NewEnough says they're overpants. Revzilla says not. I need something that'll work down to 30 degrees F in the damp, fog, sleet, rain, etc. on my 25 mile commute. I don't like to be cold or wet! What I've got doesn't work without the full faring on the ST. Anybody familiar with them? Would they be good for my needs? Anything better? Remember I need them to *fit*!

thanks,

GDI
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post
I'm looking to get a good pair of overpants, too. My deal is that I've been riding an ST1100 in foul weather, rainy or cold down to around 30 degrees F. I've got an old pair of Interstate brand chaps that I bought at the Farm Fleet 10 years ago. I wear them for warmth only. The advantage is that they're easy on, easy off for commuting, and they actually fit! I'm not all that tall (6' 2"), but I wear a size 34W X 36L pants in Wrangler and Levis. Now that I'm riding the V more, I'd like to sell off the ST. It's a heavy ol' pig compared to my V, and the ergos, don't work as well as the V either.

I'm looking at the Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 pants. NewEnough says they're overpants. Revzilla says not. I need something that'll work down to 30 degrees F in the damp, fog, sleet, rain, etc. on my 25 mile commute. I don't like to be cold or wet! What I've got doesn't work without the full faring on the ST. Anybody familiar with them? Would they be good for my needs? Anything better? Remember I need them to *fit*!

thanks,

GDI
I looked at the Fieldshier pants at a local dealer but they were selling for more than $250 here in Canada so the price difference was not that great. $144 seems like a great deal though. The XMoto pants were $270 or almost twice the price.

Olympia sizing is different from Fieldshier. As for size the Olympia come in jean waist sizes (30,32,34,etc.) and their site suggests going up one waist size over your jean size if you will use them as over pants. The legs are designed to be hemmed to the correct length. Fieldshier comes in the usual S, M, L in one leg length that is not hemable.

I perceived a significant difference in quality between the two though, whether the difference was worth the money or I wasted my money, I guess time will tell. The XMoto pants have much more substantial hip padding and slightly better knee armor. They are also heavy Cordura which is apparently 2-3x more abrasion resistant than the Carbolux so I feel safer just wearing shorts under them which I may do in the heat of the summer. They have much larger leg vents so theoretically should be cooler in the heat. They also use a breathable Goretex (clone) membrane wind/rain water liner vs a vinyl coated wind/rain liner. The inside of the legs of the XMoto pants are leather to protect against chafe and heat from exhausts. I have had other Olympia gear and it has stood up better than my gear from Joe Rocket and Rev'It - can't comment on FieldShier. The XMoto pants don't come with an insulation liner although I plan to use them down to about 0C/32F with a base layer.

I also really liked the new Icon leather mesh overpants Stagehand mentioned because of the great protection they offer but where I ride there is a lot of cool weather and sometimes rain which leather and mesh is less than ideal for.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-17-2012 at 03:36 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 PM
GDI

But, how tall are you? If the pants are above my boots when I ride, what use is that? I don't want to spend the big money for custom-tailored gear, so my options are somewhat limited. I bought a Firstgear rain jacket and pants last year. The jacket has been working well, but the pants come up above my boots when I bend my knees to ride. . . .

I don't even bother to wear the pants any more!

GDI
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Check Olympia's web site but I think all their pants come with a 34inch or so inseam that is designed to be hemmed to the correct length. I'm 6ft with a 32 inseam and the Olympia are a bit long on me so I will probably have to get them hemmed. My drycleaner will hem pants for $10. The Fieldshier L pants I tried on were the correct length.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode