Dropped my Bell Revolver yesterday - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dropped my Bell Revolver yesterday

I had it sitting on a shelf against the wall in the garage. I walked by carrying a jacket and some other stuff and something grabbed it and I drug it right off the shelf and onto the concrete floor. The good thing is, the way it landed, there was no damage to the shell. The bad, it landed square on the plastic top vent port and busted, cracked and dented the vent port. The helmet is still safe to use as the shell was not effected but its ugly as hell with the busted up vent port and Im sure it will leak like crazy in the rain. I hate to trash the helmet because its only a few months old but I hate having a jagged hole in the top of my helmet. I did see that I can buy a "vent kit" for this helmet for about $20. It wont be color matched to my Hi-Vis though.
Has anyone ever messed with vent kits before? I cant find a pic of the vent kit for the Revolver so I dont even know what is included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM

If yours isnt the EVO model (new verison) then why replace something like tjat if.you can a new one for $100. Doesnt seem worth it to.me imo

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
If yours isnt the EVO model (new verison) then why replace something like tjat if.you can a new one for $100. Doesnt seem worth it to.me imo
Yeah, Im with you. Its not an EVO. Ive been pricing new ones and cant find a $100 Hi-Vis Revolver in size M anywhere. The EVOs are $199 now. For $199 I dont think I would get another Revolver.

Last edited by ray h; 05-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Yeah, Im with you. Its not an EVO. Ive been pricing new ones and cant find a $100 Hi-Vis Revolver in size M anywhere. The EVOs are $199 now. For $199 I dont think I would get another Revolver.
Well $200 for a modular helmet is still an amazing price. The price went up so much because of all the fixes they put in.

Based on the reviews, everything that "sucked" about the first generation Revolver have been fixed. If I was looking for a Modular, my first pick may be the Revolver.

Other than that, the next Scorpion EXO-900 is $280, but the only real benefit I see is that it is ECE approved.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Duct Tape

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 AM

I had an EXO 900 and wasn't impressed at all. I quickly went back to my RF1000. The EXO was way too heavy, noisy, and confining. The only saving grace was I bought the helmet new on the cheap and was able to get my money out of it.

The only modular I see in my future is the new Shoei Neotec. I know they are expensive, but a good comfortable helmet is priceless in my book.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Im wondering about the AFX FX140?
Seems like an interesting choice. A dealer not far away supposedly has a couple, I think I'll try one on.
I like the fit of the Revolver and I like the features but it does have a couple of things that I was not willing to just stop using it over, but now that its damaged, I can justify purchasing something different. I dont like the limited vertical vision out of the Revolver and the rubber trim pieces keep coming loose. It was a good purchase for $100 but now that I would end up paying $200 for an EVO with the same visibility issue, it doesnt make since.

Anyone have an info on the FX140. It seems to be a fair helmet at a decent price point. Its definately weird looking.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

AFX FX140 helmet

Anyone have one of these and would you like to throw your .2 in?
Im thinking about getting one. I want to try one on first so Im going to visit a dealer tomorrow to see if they have one in my size. The helmet seems to have all the features Im interested in at a good price. Ive read some decent (not great, not bad) reviews.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ar-Helmet.aspx
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Like ec90t, I'm also sharkin' the Shoei Neotec. Very nice helmet! Just can't afford one now. Still using the Scorpion EXO-400 $49-deal brain bucket.
Its not likely I'll spend $600 on a helmet anytime soon.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:51 AM

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
One thing that jumped out at me on that FX-140 review is that they used plastic hooks to hold the front of the helmet closed....that just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Its not likely I'll spend $600 on a helmet anytime soon.
They can already be had in the $450 range if you shop around a bit. I've been wearing Shoei's for 23 years now and everytime I try out a different brand lid, I come away dissappointed. When you are out riding for 8 to 10 hours a day the last thing in the world you want is a helmet that is lacking and adding to the fatigue. It's just like the rest of my riding gear, I buy it for fit and effectiveness first then decide if the price is tolerable.

I like the idea of a front flip helmet, I just need to use one that is up to my standards.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 PM

My Hi-Viz Revolver was bought before the EVOs were released (Thanksgiving time). Comparing all the "improvements" (from review videos) to my helmet, they are all already there. The manufactured date of my helmet is August of 2011. If yours was made then or after, I would say it already has the updates that the EVOs have, and would be worth just fixing the vent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
My Hi-Viz Revolver was bought before the EVOs were released (Thanksgiving time). Comparing all the "improvements" (from review videos) to my helmet, they are all already there. The manufactured date of my helmet is August of 2011. If yours was made then or after, I would say it already has the updates that the EVOs have, and would be worth just fixing the vent.
I believe mine was manufactured after August 2011.
The main gripe I have with it is the lack of downward vision. Other than that, its just a couple of picky things that dont amount to much. I have to lower my head to read the speedo and other indicators. I know that doesnt sound like a big deal but it has irritated me like a splinter in my thumb when I ride.

There are two things in the reviews Ive read on the FX140 that stand out as issues to me.
1). As mentioned, the latches for the chinbar are plastic. One of the things I liked about the Revolver was the metal latches.
2). Distortion around the edges of the shield. Maybe not an issue because the shield has a better field of view than most fullface or modular helmets anyway, so I guess its better to see something distorted than it is to not see it at all.

The plastic latch thing irritates me because it wouldnt cost more than $10 more to put steel parts in each helmet and I would pay $20 more for the FX140 if it had steel parts. Seems like bad business to me.

Last edited by ray h; 05-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I dug into the Revolver a little more to see if I could easily replace the top vent. It doesnt seem as though I can. It would require ripping all the foam out to get to four screws. I did briefly consider the duct tape approach but Im too vane to ride around with a permanant duct tape patch on my helmet, So its just time for a new helmet.
I ordered an AFX FX140 last night from Revzilla. Its been a long time since Ive ordered from them but I dont recall any issues with them before, and they are right down the road from me, practically speaking.
I ordered the Hi Vis yellow, same as my Revolver. The orange was very tempting but the orange just wasnt working with my green bike, there's that vanity again, the yellow actually does go with the green pretty well, kind of a mellow yellow or lemon-lime theme.
$100 to my door from Revzilla. Thats $30 better than retail and $10-$20 better than anywhere else so I feel good about the price. Once I get the helmet and get a few miles in it, I'll do a quick review and let you guys know my impressions of it. From what Ive read, the U.S. distribution on these is pretty limited so I'll probably never run into someone with another one. Should be alot of fun, as funky as it looks, kinda like riding a V
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Lightbulb back up helmet option

A cheap back up helmet idea...

http://www.kapscomoto.com/product_p/jx-a111-1-cf-xl.htm

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode