What portable pump do you use? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What portable pump do you use?

I see a lot of people who decide to ride the versys more as a dual sport have small electric air pumps. These are small enough to fit in panniers, etc.

IF you are one of those riders -- which pump do you have?

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
I see a lot of people who decide to ride the versys more as a dual sport have small electric air pumps. These are small enough to fit in panniers, etc.

IF you are one of those riders -- which pump do you have?
http://www.amazon.com/Airman-C60A54-Tour-Pump-Compressor/dp/B002UEKXOW/ Lots of great reviews and really small. Pick up a pack of the Dynaplug 1007 tire plug kits too!

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 06:32 AM

I carry the Slime Power Sport (No. 40001) which is <$40. I use it for airing up after off-road excursions and emergency repair. I needed it a couple weeks ago when I picked up a nail and had to do a roadside gummy plug. The air hose connector stays good and tight on the valve stem and its easy on-off. 4Ēx3.5Ēx2Ē but thatís without the case, which I donít use. Itís got a hefty electrical draw that can be too much for many lower amp rated outlets. Iíve hardwired a fused lead on each of my bikes for it. Air up on a dead flat is around three-four minutes. I use it a lot, and itís worked well for meÖno complaints. Here's a photo so you can see all that comes in the box...

Bill -- 2012 Versys

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres what i use.http://www.stopngo.com/products/Tire-Mobility-Kit.html the pumps not cheap but its built to take a beating.Heres more info on the pump that comes in the kit.http://www.stopngo.com/products/Cycl...ks-too%21.html

IMG_0070 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:13 AM

I also use the slime mini pump. only had to use it once so far. its a little slow but great for emergencies. Meijers sells them for $15.00 dollars without the case.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 AM

This one. It works.
I don't believe in electricity that much.

http://www.stopngo.com/products/AirR...-Inflator.html
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
This one. It works.

Would you be so kind as to post a photo of yours sitting beside your V or on your seat so I can get a size reference? The dims on the site say only 6" tall by 3.35 diameter. That puppy is small This might be a good backup since it is so small. Use the power pump first and if a problem arises, work up a sweat!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 AM
MTS

Sorry no pumps just the bigger C2 canisters and plugs, Kolpin kit. I always travel as light as possible. Always have had great luck with canisters but they are not for everyone and most certainly not the best. Just the smallest!

If you don't have the plugs!

Ivan V that pump looks great!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 05-05-2012 at 09:54 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Would you be so kind as to post a photo of yours sitting beside your V or on your seat so I can get a size reference? The dims on the site say only 6" tall by 3.35 diameter. That puppy is small This might be a good backup since it is so small. Use the power pump first and if a problem arises, work up a sweat!

Sure. I hope you can get a sense of size from these.
Mine gets a lot of work pumping up a wheelbarrow tire from nothing to about 2.5 Bar and it doesn't take much muscle.
That little pressure gauge is incorrect (on mine at least) so I use digital pressure gauge for the bike.

http://i.imgur.com/vQsRV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WQ9Jf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/w2DIH.jpg
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Sure. I hope you can get a sense of size from these.
Mine gets a lot of work pumping up a wheelbarrow tire from nothing to about 2.5 Bar and it doesn't take much muscle.
That little pressure gauge is incorrect (on mine at least) so I use digital pressure gauge for the bike.
I posted your photos so we don't have to click your links..

for taking the time. I may pick up one of these, I like it! I see your point about electricity. My luck the auto pump would break when I really need it.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I posted your photos so we don't have to click your links..

for taking the time. I may pick up one of these, I like it! I see your point about electricity. My luck the auto pump would break when I really need it. [
I got one of those cheap, but I don't think it ever worked. I guess Ivan V's must work since he uses it.

I carry an inexpensive mini bicycle pump under my seat.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 AM

Hey if size is an issue. Cheak these out. http://www.tomcatdistribution.com.au...air-compressor. Im doing the same thing and looking around. Ill need one soon.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
This one. It works.

Ivan, have you ever used this pump on an air mattress? I carry a slime pump for tires (low volume, high pressure) and it will not work to air up my air mattress (high volume, low pressure) when I motocamp. I have to carry a battery powered pump for the mattress and so I am carrying two pumps when I motocamp. If your foot pump will do both (the product description says it can be used on a mattress) this could be a method improvement for my camping needs. This would make me happy
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studspud View Post
Hey if size is an issue. Cheak these out. http://www.tomcatdistribution.com.au...air-compressor. Im doing the same thing and looking around. Ill need one soon.
I've always been a proponent of the "size doesn't matter" rule/ theory......
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
Ivan, have you ever used this pump on an air mattress? I carry a slime pump for tires (low volume, high pressure) and it will not work to air up my air mattress (high volume, low pressure) when I motocamp. I have to carry a battery powered pump for the mattress and so I am carrying two pumps when I motocamp. If your foot pump will do both (the product description says it can be used on a mattress) this could be a method improvement for my camping needs. This would make me happy
Olegeezer -- I would recommend tyring not to use a hand pump for blowing up a mattress. It takes forever and is a real pain in the butt

I use large coleman one for mine, but man, it really kicks my butt, especially if it is 80 degrees outside .

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Olegeezer -- I would recommend tyring not to use a hand pump for blowing up a mattress. It takes forever and is a real pain in the butt

I use large coleman one for mine, but man, it really kicks my butt, especially if it is 80 degrees outside .
Naudan, I also use the coleman, heavy, 4D battery version. Pain in the arse to carry two pumps. Maybe I could just work on a method to eliminate the mattress which is also big and heavy. The slime pump is cheap, small and works well for the rare occasion when I need it for tar inflation.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post

I haven't used it on mattresses, but I know of some great camping mats.

I guess it would be possible to do it with the pump (it comes with a few extensions for different valves) but since it's so tiny it displaces tiny amount of air.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 AM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Tire...lator/16782755

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studspud View Post
Wow, that is tiny- 4"x2"x3/4" or so.... I wonder if anyone in the States carries it? I've always just carried a cycling pump... takes a long time, but how often do you need it? I guess if you're airing down your tires offroad...
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 PM

Is that airman pump the replacement for the sparrow? I still carry the co2 cartridges but may ask for a pump next christmas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode