Garmim 276c how to mount? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to demenshea Send a message via Yahoo to demenshea
Garmim 276c how to mount?

I have a Garmin 276c which I LOVE and would like to mount on my Versys. I also have the Motowerks gps mount. Call me silly but what do I use to connect the Garmin to the mount. I have a ram mount cradle but can i use this somehow to connect to the mount. I'd prefer to use the Motowerks mount over a handlebar ram mount, as it 's much easier to see the gps and my speedo, etc. (like i follow it... )

I like being able to simply unsnap the gps from the bike and lock it up when I am off the bike.

I had it dialed in to my Bandit, but am starting over with mr. Versys.

Thoughts???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Just did this last night so it's fresh in my mind - check here

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5369

for power I wired it directly to the fuzeblock I have under the left fairing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well, let's see. You have the cradle for your GPS and you have Speedy's universal GPS mount, yes, no? How about a DC power cable?

What I did with my Garmin 255W was place the cradle on the face plate of the Speedy's mount, mark the position of the two holes in the cradle, drill a pair of holes, and attach the cradle to the plate with stainless steel screws, and secured it with nylock nuts.

I ordered the appropriate DC power cable, hid the wiring, and connected it to a "live when the ignition is on" wire. That's merely my preference so the GPS isn't powered on when the ignition is off. The cable I selected included an in-line fuse. If the cable you select doesn't have an in-line fuse, you should add one near the "battery" end of the cable - or close to where you tap into the wiring - to protect you beloved GPS from the possibility of electrical nastiness.

Here's what the finished product looks like, and I'm very pleased though sometimes I don't follow it's instructions very well either.

GPS cradle attached to Speedy's mounting plate which, in turn, is attached to the windscreen bracket.

With GPS mounted. Easy removal as well - snap the GPS out and unplug the power cable.

A tidy mounting solution, and somewhat protected from the elements by the windscreen. No vibration either which is nice for older eyes.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
Just did this last night so it's fresh in my mind - check here

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5369

for power I wired it directly to the fuzeblock I have under the left fairing.
Thanks Walter...that looks good. I am trying to use the stuff I already have. If i can't figure out how to use the Motowerk's mount, I'll simply use my existing ram mount on the handlebars, like i did on the bandit. The problem is i have less space on the versys and don't really want to block my other screens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Well, let's see. You have the cradle for your GPS and you have Speedy's universal GPS mount, yes, no? How about a DC power cable?

What I did with my Garmin 255W was place the cradle on the face plate of the Speedy's mount, mark the position of the two holes in the cradle, drill a pair of holes, and attach the cradle to the plate with stainless steel screws, and secured it with nylock nuts.

I ordered the appropriate DC power cable, hid the wiring, and connected it to a "live when the ignition is on" wire. That's merely my preference so the GPS isn't powered on when the ignition is off. The cable I selected included an in-line fuse. If the cable you select doesn't have an in-line fuse, you should add one near the "battery" end of the cable - or close to where you tap into the wiring - to protect you beloved GPS from the possibility of electrical nastiness.

Here's what the finished product looks like, and I'm very pleased though sometimes I don't follow it's instructions very well either.

GPS cradle attached to Speedy's mounting plate which, in turn, is attached to the windscreen bracket.

With GPS mounted. Easy removal as well - snap the GPS out and unplug the power cable.

A tidy mounting solution, and somewhat protected from the elements by the windscreen. No vibration either which is nice for older eyes.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Wow, now that looks awesome and CLEAN! Ok...so drilling a hole in the cradle might work. I have a 12v powerlet that I am adding to the fairing. I'll post photos asap.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
Wow, now that looks awesome and CLEAN! Ok...so drilling a hole in the cradle might work. I have a 12v powerlet that I am adding to the fairing. I'll post photos asap.
Thank you. And yes, drilling will work just fine. Your RAM mount cradle has two mounting holes (at least the one shown when I followed your link to Twisted Throttle has two holes) so line it up on the Speedy's aluminum plate and when you're satisfied with the position, mark the plate, drill the holes and mount the cradle to the plate. The 12 volt powerlet makes it easy to power up/down the GPS as well. Good luck and please do post a photo or two when it's completed.

Arion

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Thank you. And yes, drilling will work just fine. Your RAM mount cradle has two mounting holes (at least the one shown when I followed your link to Twisted Throttle has two holes) so line it up on the Speedy's aluminum plate and when you're satisfied with the position, mark the plate, drill the holes and mount the cradle to the plate. The 12 volt powerlet makes it easy to power up/down the GPS as well. Good luck and please do post a photo or two when it's completed.
Ok...got it mounted. I had to angle it a bit and hopefully it doesn't look too silly, but the antenna on the GPS had to at least be to the side. There was no way to get it to go up without adding spacers to the mount so we'll see how well it does triangulating. I only had it on a moment to take the photo and all seems fine. I'll know more after the next ride.

Now I need to get the powerlet in the fairing. I'll be using this one.

No one ever said farkling was cheap! My mirrors should arrive tomorrow as I totally agree with everyone on the irritating mirror vibration. Next is the heated grips and I'm good for a bit!!

Here's the mount.

With the GPS

And my very green bike all cleaned up! Now, where to go...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
Ok...got it mounted. I had to angle it a bit and hopefully it doesn't look too silly, but the antenna on the GPS had to at least be to the side. There was no way to get it to go up without adding spacers to the mount so we'll see how well it does triangulating. I only had it on a moment to take the photo and all seems fine. I'll know more after the next ride.

Now I need to get the powerlet in the fairing. I'll be using this one.

No one ever said farkling was cheap! My mirrors should arrive tomorrow as I totally agree with everyone on the irritating mirror vibration. Next is the heated grips and I'm good for a bit!!

Here's the mount.

With the GPS

And my very green bike all cleaned up! Now, where to go...
Certainly looks good to me.

I hadn't taken the antenna into consideration in my mounting comments, but it looks like it turned out just fine. Also looks like the weather in Sacramento is fine as well.

Arion

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:09 PM

Nice looking bike... green is great, and green/black really shows well in both shade and sun- even when not spiffy clean and shiny. It's a great color combo.

Where to go? Anywhere, just anywhere should be fun. Try it you'll like it. Near or far is inconsequential, just go. )
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

I'm getting ready to go for an extended ride to Canada and back right around 5,000 miles, so I know I've got some smiling coming up!! I want to get the heated grips installed and the powerlet before going. I'm also thinking of adding some handguards to cut the wind on my fingers a bit. If my hands are cold, my riding goes out the window!!

I also know the Sierra passes are about to open up. We went from winter rains to HOT summer in one week. Crazy stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode