Most noticiable color? (Green/Yellow/Orange) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Most noticiable color? (Green/Yellow/Orange)

What color is best for visibility on helmets and jackets, yellow, bright orange, or bright green?

For helmets, is solid better than a pattern? I've seen a lot of helmets that have say, yellow them in them but they also have grey and white in a "decal" type fashion. Is this better than a completely solid color for visibility?

I read in the Hurt report that conspicuity (I think that's the word) is a major factor in crashes. So I'd like to get the most visible jacket and helmet possible, while remaining somewhat tasteful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 AM

I think it's documented that a solid white helmet is the most noticeable. This doesn't seem quite intuitive to me, but I'm told the numbers are pretty convincing. I have not seen the data myself though.

I think for jackets and such you can't go wrong with Hi-Viz Yellow. Not the most fashionable, but there's no argument that it's an attention getter.

On a related note, I have heard that yellow/black is the most distinguishable color combination. This is supported by the fact that road hazard signs employ these colors. I've chosen to go the yellow/black/gray route on most of my gear. I've been told by a number of people that my helmet catches there eye, but it actually has more black facing forward than I would prefer.

I wear more black than I want to. In fact, I'm in the process of investigating gear just like you are. I am considering a new riding outfit like the Olympia Airglide stuff or something similar. When I get it, it will have at least some Hi-Viz Yellow on it, but I doubt I'll go the full coverage Hi-Viz route.

Insert gratuitous Tail of the Dragon shot for illustrative purpose.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 AM

Maybe this will help more than I could. http://www.motorcyclesafetyinfo.com/...fety_gear.html

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Maybe this will help more than I could. http://www.motorcyclesafetyinfo.com/...fety_gear.html
From that article:

"If you are riding in a highly populated urban area, wear Day-Glo colors combined with reflective panels and tape. High visibility colors are the best way to be seen during the day and the best choice is yellow, which is the color most visible to the human eye. here are some reflective riding vests and reflective riding gloves."

Looks like the human eye says "yellow."

That is interesting to me, because as a hunter I am used to Florescent Orange as my "look at me" color of choice. I'll have to go figure out why...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
That is interesting to me, because as a hunter I am used to Florescent Orange as my "look at me" color of choice. I'll have to go figure out why...
My guess is the environment. In forest type settings, orange is more different than the greens that are predominant. In most other settings, yellow jumps out more, I would think.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 03:11 PM

I read an article somewhere that was an insurance study that said that yellow cars are the most noticable.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:00 PM

" I've seen a lot of helmets that have say, yellow in them... " I think you just answered your own question.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

I think "hunter orange" florescent is MOST noticeable, followed by whites and yellows. Here's a picture of my Frank Thomas mesh in orange/white/blue, plus I have two piece leathers in the same colors.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01033.JPG (678.6 KB, 403 views)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I think "hunter orange" florescent is MOST noticeable, followed by whites and yellows. Here's a picture of my Frank Thomas mesh in orange/white/blue, plus I have two piece leathers in the same colors.

Ed
Somebody stole your grass!!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:06 PM

Yellow day, white night.

However... I heard that it is actually the contrast between body and head that makes the most difference. Bright body, bright but different color head make it easiest for the brain to recognise a human form, and thus most likely to intuitively recognize a rider. I wear a red jacket and a white helmet. The multi color helmets are not visible at distance. They look solid. So black with yellow stripes simply looks black.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM

I have been wearing the Olympia Atomic yellow bushwacker jacket. It gets a ton of double takes from drivers and a buddy of mine who flys said he can pick me out on the rode at 2000 feet, no sweat. Jacket is the bomb, fits great has a crapload of storage and good armor. Great pants too, the knee padding fits perfect.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/bus...ushwhacker.htm
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 AM

I read somewhere (can't find the reference right now) that Hi-Viz yellow (lime green) was ideal because it's a color that isn't normally found in nature. As such, the human eye tends to notice it more. There was also a study done where fire equipment painted in Hi-Viz was less likely to be involved in accidents.

So...I'm a believer. I just need to get over the reduction in cool points for wearing it. ;-)

Last edited by lost84001; 10-26-2008 at 07:10 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:46 PM

This is the most noticeable color. I've read before, much like lost84001 said, that it's not a naturally occurring color in nature. I've also read that it "hurts" the eyes (not painful hurt, just a strain) to look at it therefore the eye is much more likely to be drawn to this color than any other.

I have a KBC in this color and want to get a jacket in it too. Not just for visibility but I'm probably one of the few that absolutely f'n loves the color (probably my favorite of all of them).
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Cool

I guess one of the good things about being conspicuous, is that BLACK is NOT! And MOST of the "loud pipes save lives" group wear black, so I suppose their numbers ARE declining or WILL decline.

Ed
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

That jacket looks too hot for summer riding, but pretty decent otherwise.

Anybody know where to find a matching full-face helmet?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 AM

They make a mesh summer jacket in that color as well. Finding a helmet the same color though is hard as I've been looking for one with it like my old KBC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode