Rainex and anti fog - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Rainex and anti fog

Just wanted to pass this on. I've been using anti fog spray (inside of the visor) and Rainex (outside of the visor) these last few days commuting in the sometimes very heavy rain at about 10C/50F. The Rainex causes the rain to bead and blow off the shield, you never need to raise a hand to wipe the shield and this is in a heavy down poor. The anti fog spray works well to too to prevent fogging. The only thing is I find I need to reapply coatings daily for optimum performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've always wondered if those two products are really just about the same thing. Want to switch applications and report back your findings ?

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Never thought to use rain-X on the visor, great idea!

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
There is also a great little product called catcrap which is good for cleaning and anti fog.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
There is also a great little product called catcrap which is good for cleaning and anti fog.
LOL what a name for a cleaning product! I'm gonna get me one of those and some rain X Asap

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
OK Phil, I'll bite. It it a Middle Earth product? Where can one get Cat Crap? Other than the litter box that is.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 AM

Any decent sporting goods store will have it. Firefighters use it inside their SCBAs to prevent fogging. If it works in those conditions it will work anywhere.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 AM

One thing to try for fogging visors is a breathmask for your helmet. It redirects the exhaled breath to the vents of your helmet and stops it from going up to the visor.

I have one for my HJC helmet and it was like 5 dollars. Tested and vetted from 50 degrees to 28 degrees Farenheit. On the visor outside I use Endust multi purpose. Helps with the bug guts and rain also.

One thing to note your Versys has a great anti-rain ability if you have a 2011. Just tuck your body down into the tank and look straight through the windshield. The airflow coming off the windshield will direct the rain straight down the front of your visor and stream it right off.

Thanks for sharing your products I may give them a try as I love finding out new ways to solve some annoyances with riding in the wet.

"Why do I ride?"

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I have heard that using those products on plastic will eventually yellow the shield. I don't know that first hand.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 AM

Check with manufacturers....From what I have read Rain-x is not safe for polycarbs.
Glass only! Chemical reaction with the plastics could cause them to become brittle and lose there stopping power and lead to shattering with no stopping power.
i will try to track down the source of the claim...but got to run now...It's working time again.

EDIT!
Rain-x website says....rain-x glass treatment is NOT safe for plastics!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 04-25-2012 at 06:25 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, the anti fog stuff yellowed one of mine a couple of years ago.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Yep, the anti fog stuff yellowed one of mine a couple of years ago.
That will teach you for peeing in your helmet !!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 PM

I like Rainex on my car windshields a lot. For the Versys, I apply Rejex, a polymer wax that's super smooth. Pretty slick. It works well on other surfaces too.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

I have two products here, one is the rainx which has the warning about appling to plastics and the rain repellant which does not have a warning about plastic. I have used the repellant on my visor not because its safer more because it does not say i can't apply so thats my logic.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 PM

I've been using Rain-X on windshields for years, and then I tried it on my Jeep's plastic windows. A couple of years later I unzipped the window, folded it back, and it broke right in half(!). It was then that I found articles warning people that it made some plastics brittle.

I now use Plexus on my face shield, sun glasses, plastic windshields, and Jeep windows. Works as well as Rain-X but without the side affects.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 AM

FYI......about a year ago I found a product that I believe is made in Great Britain.
Lost the Info and searching now...( I believe i got the info from a cross reference that lead to another bike forum).
Anyway.....this 'other' product was allegedly safe for 'plastics' with the performance of rainX....

stay tuned for more info if my search is successful.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 AM

FOUND IT! and it's called..."raincoat"
http://www.visorvision.co.uk/shop/pr...products_id=49
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ter-repellent/
http://www.aerostich.com/raincoat.html
...and here's what they say about RAINCOAT (they also make "Fogtech" anti fogging ...stuff!
Both available from "Aerostich.com" 6 bucks us dollars

Raincoat has been 5 years in development, and is designed specifically to create a robust hydrophobic coating on your visor or shield, causing water to bead up and run off quickly.

Unlike some other popularly used products we know motorcyclists like to use (designed for Glass windscreens), it won't degrade the anti-shatter properties of plastic visors and it also contains no quick-fix, gone in a moment slippery silicone!

We've tested this product extensively through our own riding, our team of daily distance volunteers and the coaches at the California Superbike School.

All the feedback and experience we've gleaned has been excellent. Riding with a half treated/untreated visor really shows just how much water this product can shift with a little windblast!

Supplied in this kit are 5 sachets, applicator pad and buffing cloth for optimum results.

Last edited by stagehand38; 04-26-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode