Helmets now optional in MI - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Helmets now optional in MI

Michigan is now a helmet optional state, new law just signed.

I think it's going to increase deaths on the road and increase the already too high insurance rates here.

Anybody asks me about wearing a helmet, I tell 'em "you only got one head, right?"

Waddaya ya guys think about this?

http://www.freep.com/article/2012041...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The laws of selective survival in action???
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Did they make this conditional on insurance coverage? The stats show helmet less riders are less likely to have insurance.

I've been riding continuously now for a number of years. I feel really uncomfortable riding without gloves, jacket, and boots. Could not imagine riding without a helmet.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Well since it passed more power to 'em but I do feel for the people who wear protective gear if insurance rates rise for them - they shouldn't be penalized.

I like gear because I'm old enough that I won't bounce (back) like I used to and a few days ago a yellow jacket smashing itself into oblivion on my faceshield reaffirms my choice of wearing a fullface.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Did they make this conditional on insurance coverage? The stats show helmet less riders are less likely to have insurance.

I've been riding continuously now for a number of years. I feel really uncomfortable riding without gloves, jacket, and boots. Could not imagine riding without a helmet.
I completely agree. I will on occasion ride my V from the house to the barn which is 200 ft. away without gear on to air up the tires or the like. It feels weird almost like I don't know how to shift or work the clutch lever correctly.

The article states that the helmetless rider must carry $20,000 more in coverage. Sorry, my head is worth at least twice that amount...

The bottom line is that this is a way to generate money - by promoting tourism. Ok fine, but at what expense? Oh right, it doesn't matter when politicians are making the decision 'cause they always know better.

I came across an excellent quote the other day that may or may not apply here, but it is still an excellent quote:

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?

-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-

I don't mean to turn this thread political...

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 PM

If insurance wasnt a factor (them going up), I am 100% in favor of this law. If someone wants to ride without a helmet, it should be their right to. Let Natural Selection take its course.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 05:11 PM

Garage
This will help thin the herd. Of course we'll all be paying for the brain dead individuals in the form of increased medical coverage.

Ride while you can
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 PM

In Florida, you'll see this all day long-a sport bike rider with a 700 dollar Arai strapped to the side of his bike while rockin' the Oakleys. You have to prove you have $10,000 in medical insurance and be over 21 if pulled over here.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 AM

"helmets optional" equates to less law. Im cool with less law. I also think there shouldnt be a seatbelt law for adults. The best part of being an adult is being able to make my own decisions, I appreciate when the government lets me do that.
It would suck if insurance rates went up for everyone (Its been proven several times that probably won't happen) but if they do, its the price we pay for freedom of decision.
Just for the record, I do wear a helmet and I do wear a seatbelt, its my decision.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcircle View Post
In Florida, you'll see this all day long-a sport bike rider with a 700 dollar Arai strapped to the side of his bike while rockin' the Oakleys. You have to prove you have $10,000 in medical insurance and be over 21 if pulled over here.
That is not much coverage at all on the medical. 2 years ago when I barely fractured my wrist the final $ tally when all the x-rays, cast, Dr visits and everything was done was around $6k.

I am happy that the law is revoked. I will always wear my helmet, but I want to choose if I wear it.

Yesterday I went over to CT. I am from NY where we wear helmets. A few miles after crossing into CT I saw a guy on a sportbike at a light. He had on a leather jacket/pants, leather gloves, and boots, and a pair of shades. Strapped to the side of a bike was a nice Shoei.....

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
...Im cool with less law. ...The best part of being an adult is being able to make my own decisions, I appreciate when the government lets me do that. ...
I would presume that requiring everyone to drive on the right side of the road is a law that you will agree with. It is all a matter of degree as society tries to function as efficiently as possible while hopefully (at least in the USA and not all the time) not infringing upon our "unalienable rights."

If you get into a crash in New Mexico you will stand a good chance of being involved with an uninsured individual. My rates have gone through the roof as I have made my uninsured coverage equal to my liability coverage.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM

"I would presume that requiring everyone to drive on the right side of the road is a law that you will agree with."

You think that if right hand traffic wasn't codified, drivers would be confused as to which way traffic was flowing?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
I would presume that requiring everyone to drive on the right side of the road is a law that you will agree with. It is all a matter of degree as society tries to function as efficiently as possible while hopefully (at least in the USA and not all the time) not infringing upon our "unalienable rights."
You would presume correctly. It is about degree. We all draw the line someplace. As I said, Im cool with LESS law. I didnt say NO law and the conversation is specifically about helmet laws. I dont think adults should be told to wear a helmet, I do think minors should. See, degrees.

Last edited by ray h; 04-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 PM

Garage
$10,000 or even $20,000 in "extra" insurance coverage would be chewed up in no time for a serious brain injury. Seems like a low threshold for making such an important safety item as a helmet into an option.

Always trust your cape.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
$10,000 or even $20,000 in "extra" insurance coverage would be chewed up in no time for a serious brain injury. Seems like a low threshold for making such an important safety item as a helmet into an option.
The 10K would probably cover the life flight to the ER to be declared dead.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigercj View Post
"I would presume that requiring everyone to drive on the right side of the road is a law that you will agree with."

You think that if right hand traffic wasn't codified, drivers would be confused as to which way traffic was flowing?
In most Asian countries, these laws are suggestions... driving on the wrong side is common... ( the exception being Japan where driving on the wrong side is the law. )

2008 Kawasaki Versys
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Some may be, but the point of some laws, including this one is to have an avenue of punishment if someone causes an accident while breaking said law.

If there was no law governing which side of the road we should be on, and I drove on the opposite of the accepted side it would be very easy for a lawyer to keep me from punishment.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
The 10K would probably cover the life flight to the ER to be declared dead.
When my buddy had his accident back in '08 (cage crossed the center-line), the helicopter flight co$t $30,000 I was told.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
That is not much coverage at all on the medical. 2 years ago when I barely fractured my wrist the final $ tally when all the x-rays, cast, Dr visits and everything was done was around $6k.

I am happy that the law is revoked. I will always wear my helmet, but I want to choose if I wear it.

Yesterday I went over to CT. I am from NY where we wear helmets. A few miles after crossing into CT I saw a guy on a sportbike at a light. He had on a leather jacket/pants, leather gloves, and boots, and a pair of shades. Strapped to the side of a bike was a nice Shoei.....
Let me tell you, that the idiots I see here in CT riding like fools with shorts on and "wife beater" t-shirts is amazing. The law in CT is that helmets are optional, but you do need eye protection. That way when you die they can transplant the eyes. There is also a noise law also, but the police never enforce it anywhere. So we all have to put up with the Harley losers and their straight pipes. Great, on just went by my house. Our governor is a fool in a nice suit.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM

I think this article from last year pretty much sums it all up.
Always wear your helmet!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43624650.../#.T416K9WQmVo

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode