Warning about MotorcycleHelmetsDirect.com - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Warning about MotorcycleHelmetsDirect.com

I have been researching the best place to buy a new Shoei Neotec modular helmet. (Yes, pricey which is why I was doing this.) While checking out vendors on the web, I encountered MotorcycleHelmetsDirect.com. They had the "best" advertised price but beware! Their prices DO NOT include the very necessary face shield and the always included fabric bag. In other words, if you order a helmet based on their advertised price, you will not get a shield! That is an extra cost option (along with the fabric bag.) If you factor those extra's in, they are priced more like a local dealer and not a discounted internet store like Revzilla. Their website is deceptive and doesn't make this very clear. I had to go round and round with a customer service rep to finally determine what they are doing. Boo, Hiss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM

When I was shopping for an Aria helmet a while back I asked the sales person what was the month and year of manufacture. All Aria helmets have a tag sewn (and not easily removed) to the chin strap that has the manufacture date (MM/YY). Sales person said the helmet did not have the tag and he had no way of knowing how old it was. Suspicious.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomaec View Post
I have been researching the best place to buy a new Shoei Neotec modular helmet. (Yes, pricey which is why I was doing this.) While checking out vendors on the web, I encountered MotorcycleHelmetsDirect.com. They had the "best" advertised price but beware! Their prices DO NOT include the very necessary face shield and the always included fabric bag. In other words, if you order a helmet based on their advertised price, you will not get a shield! That is an extra cost option (along with the fabric bag.) If you factor those extra's in, they are priced more like a local dealer and not a discounted internet store like Revzilla. Their website is deceptive and doesn't make this very clear. I had to go round and round with a customer service rep to finally determine what they are doing. Boo, Hiss.
Gonna guess your customer service rep didn't know what they were talking about.

just called them for the heck of it. The salesperson I spoke to said shoei helmets come with the shield, just as it is shown in the picture. And also they will come in the helmet bag, in the box, just as they are sent from the shoei factory.

Hey I don't know anything about this website, and don't care about them. But it just seems very much a huge rip off if they were doing what you say. No one does that, and I've bought quite a few arai and shoei helmets online.

I'd suggest double checking, the rep you talked to sounds like they didn't know what they were talking about.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Can you order a helmet without the factory included shield and bag?

Is there an extra charge for opening the manufacturer box and taking out the shield and the bag out?

How about a charge for putting the helmet back in the manufacturer box without the manufacturer included shield and bag?

Looks like airline pricing to me. Wait, there is a law now that say you have to list the final price for airline tickets. So it is like car dealer prices:

Car MSRP $20,000
Your down payment $9,000
Dealer discount - $1,000

Car advertises for $10,000 in big bold red letters inside a yellow flash bubble covering half the ad page.

In very small print at the bottom of the ad page you see (only one unit at this price)

not in the ad:

The one unit at this price was bought by the dealers owner daughter a week ago.
Dealer mandatory fees $1,500

So you

Take a loan for $10,000
and write a check for $10,500

You drive away asking yourself. How do I end up paying $20,500 for a car advertised at $10,000?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

If you look on their website on a specific helmet model page there are drop down lists for things such as a "Shield" and "storage bag" as options for Shoei helmets. No one else that I know of has those "options" on the helmet page (maybe on the accessories page.) The rep I talked extensively with for over 15 minutes did sound uninformed (another problem for that outfit) which is why I asked him carefully about my concern. I then insisted he check with a senior salesperson to verify. He came back and unequivocally stated that Shoei helmets were sold at the price listed on their website WITHOUT faceshields and without storage bag (those need to be ordered separately.) At that point I had my answer and purchased from another site. I told him I didn't appreciate their deceptive website (really, who would sell a helmet without a face shield) and would "get the word out on them." Now, if others are getting a different story, I don't know what to think. I was very careful (I thought) to get an accurate answer. I really don't know what they actually do as I would need to buy it to find out for sure. Maybe someone in our group has an actual buying experience with them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomaec View Post
If you look on their website on a specific helmet model page there are drop down lists for things such as a "Shield" and "storage bag" as options for Shoei helmets. No one else that I know of has those "options" on the helmet page (maybe on the accessories page.) The rep I talked extensively with for over 15 minutes did sound uninformed (another problem for that outfit) which is why I asked him carefully about my concern. I then insisted he check with a senior salesperson to verify. He came back and unequivocally stated that Shoei helmets were sold at the price listed on their website WITHOUT faceshields and without storage bag (those need to be ordered separately.) At that point I had my answer and purchased from another site. I told him I didn't appreciate their deceptive website (really, who would sell a helmet without a face shield) and would "get the word out on them." Now, if others are getting a different story, I don't know what to think. I was very careful (I thought) to get an accurate answer. I really don't know what they actually do as I would need to buy it to find out for sure. Maybe someone in our group has an actual buying experience with them.
My guess is you simply talked to the wrong person. They knew as much about it as you did... maybe less. They did the same thing you did, looked at the site, saw "optional", and figured... it must be optional!

That's it. Simple as that.

The optional shield link is for those that want an additional shield, be it smoke, clear, etc etc etc.

The optional bag link is for those that want another bag.

I get where yer coming from. And they lost a sale because of their websites ambiguity, and reps lack of knowledge. It really should say "additional" shields and "additional" bags... alas... internet designers, sometimes you have to wonder if it's intentional, to get people to buy things they don't actually need...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I had somewhat the same happen buying a chain off the 'Net: nowhere did it mention whether or not the chain came with a master-link, but one came up right below the chain on the ordering page. To be sure, I checked BOTH boxes, and, OF COURSE, ended up with an extra link....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

This outfit is a non-stocking third party. They just drop ship from the manufacturer or fulfillment center. Their choice of wording "optional" rather than "additional" was the exact source of my confusion and suspicion. I was first told by the rep "oh yeah, it comes with the face shield" and then after I pressed him to check, "oh, that needs to be ordered separately and is additional cost." I still don't know what is actually the case, but want to make sure someone else doesn't make a mistake. I guess the old adage "let the buyer beware" applies here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode