white helmet vs black - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
white helmet vs black

Have any of you all had both and rode in the heat? Did you notice the black helmet was warmer then a white one? I have a silver one and was looking at flat black.....just worried it will be hotter in the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 AM

helmets color.

I wear white mainly for being seen, but I've had many colored helmets and don't remember one being hotter than another color. Ventilation is more important, I suppose. Have fun!!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 AM

I never wear black gear of any kind in the summer. Lighter colors definitely make a difference. Had one black helmet and hated it.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 AM

I've got a black full face HJC and it is hot already. It has been high 80's to low 90's here in Phoenix recently. Not so bad when riding but, sitting at a traffic light is tough. My helmet is 3 years old and I may be looking at a new one. This will be my first summer spent here in Phoenix with a motorcycle. I can hardly wait for the low temps to be 95-98 degrees and highs in the 110-117 degrees. Gotta keep moving. I knew several guys that would wet a t-shirt down and put it in the fridge at work all day and then put it on for the ride home. That might be more attention than I am looking for if I did that! LOL

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM

With others that have said...

black = not visible (and hot)

white= visible (and cooler)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 AM

I wear white to be seen. Never had a black helmet so I can't comment on the heat, but I can't imagine I'd ever buy a black one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 AM

I've never cared for black paint for the scratches alone. As many bugs, rocks, sand, debris that hit a helmet, keeping it from showing scratches is too much work.

I worked at a multiline dealer for many years. I've sold thousands of helmets. The issue of color and heat would always come up. We tested white against black helmets a number of times by setting them outside in the sun and then shooting the interiors with temp sensors. We never got reliable significant differences.

If you think about the amount of polystyrene, air gaps, comfort liner between your head and the paint, that's like wearing an expensive picnic cooler on your head with the bonus that it is designed to also circulate air once you start moving.

I would consider style and visibility over possible temps. Get something that makes you smile. I remember the first helmet I bought that wasn't a solid color. It was cool and I felt cool wearing it. (No temp pun intented.)

There's two more cents.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM

White.........

Black..........

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

thnaks gang ;-)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
White.........

Black..........
Biased!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Biased!
whats your 2 cents kirk??
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt37 View Post
whats your 2 cents kirk??
I was just ribbing Davy because of his white helmet on his avatar pic.

Black, white, it really boils down to ventilation. There is plenty of padding to distance the shell from my face and I have had light and dark helmets and they are both hot when it gets into the 90's. I don't think the black is terribly hotter to wear than white.

As far as safety (being seen), the light colored helmets are better for that! So lighter is a win win for helmets.

As for me, I now wear the EXO-1000 and love it.

I do now also wear either a high vis vest over my leather (when cool) or a FG Rush hi vis mesh jacket when the temps creep up.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Rocketeer View Post
>snip
I worked at a multiline dealer for many years. I've sold thousands of helmets. The issue of color and heat would always come up. We tested white against black helmets a number of times by setting them outside in the sun and then shooting the interiors with temp sensors. We never got reliable significant differences.

If you think about the amount of polystyrene, air gaps, comfort liner between your head and the paint, that's like wearing an expensive picnic cooler on your head with the bonus that it is designed to also circulate air once you start moving.

+1 What he said.

I just went thru this trying to decide on a color for a new dualsport helmet. Ended up getting another matt black one, AFX FX-39.

No temp difference in colors. How are you going to feel a shell surface temp difference with 1" of styrofoam between your head and the shell? Yes, the shell surface is hotter on black that white. So what?

I like white helmets for visibility but they make you look like you just stepped off the set of STAR WARS. Wanna be a stormtrooper??? Wear a white helmet. OMG. I just chuckle to myself when I see them now. Nothing says NOOB like a stormtrooper.

All of my helmets are black, gloss and matt finish, road and offroad. They are not difficult to keep clean or scratch free any more than any other color.

Buy what floats your boat.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I was just ribbing Davy because of his white helmet on his avatar pic.

Black, white, it really boils down to ventilation. There is plenty of padding to distance the shell from my face and I have had light and dark helmets and they are both hot when it gets into the 90's. I don't think the black is terribly hotter to wear than white.

As far as safety (being seen), the light colored helmets are better for that! So lighter is a win win for helmets.

As for me, I now wear the EXO-1000 and love it.
I know you were busting his balls.... i just value your opinion cause I read allot of your posts....that's a sweet looking helmet by the way.

Last edited by tommyt37; 04-05-2012 at 04:58 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Well I bought a white one... mainly for more visibility. I wanted the flat black but changed my mind. I was riding the meanstreak yesterday a lady in an escalade started turning into me casue she didn't check her blind spot. I was prepared for it as soon as I saw her turn signal come on. I wasn't that mad a hard brake and a hoorn and was able to avoid an accident. I wanted to get ahead of her so I gassed it went to the left lane(3 lane road) back to center was going about 50 in a 35 let off the gas saw center lane was slow looked to the right(behind me not in front as well oops)clear went to right lane then saw a city bus with one car behind it. For some readon I didn't notice any brake lights I thought they were moving so I didn't react right away. I then noticed the bus was stopped did the oh crap! thought and hammered the front brake let go did hard pump then let off(pressure still on brake though) then noticed it wasn't enough and pumped them harder locked up front wheel by that time I had slowed enough to get my foot down to keep the bike from going over.....(for some reason my leg is sore today?? oh yeah 740 pound bike! lol) stopped a few inches from stopped cars bumper. I pulled down a side road to collect my self and check my drawers some lady pulled up behind me and said "God bless you are you ok?!" I said yes thanks... she then gave me a card to her church..... lol crazy day! Moral of the story? I slacked after avoiding that escalade and not riding for the last 5 months helped me forget to pay more attention. So I bought the white helmet...... may look like a nerd on my cruiser but that's ok :-)

Last edited by tommyt37; 04-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM

White for me.

I once picked out a biker driving through a busy intersection only because I saw this disembodied white helmet moving with the traffic.

I just switched from the HJC flipup in this picture to a Shoei Neotec.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reflect_640.jpg (68.3 KB, 358 views)

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Can't remember which magazine, but several years ago one did an article on helmets, and in the article stated that black helmets are over-represented in serious and fatal motorcycle accidents.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Can't remember which magazine, but several years ago one did an article on helmets, and in the article stated that black helmets are over-represented in serious and fatal motorcycle accidents.
I would guess the main reason is because of the number of black helmets bought over every other color.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Quite possible as IMHO there are way more black helmets than all other colors combined. That being said, its also possible that there may be some merit to the fact that people wearing lighter colored helmets "may" be more casual and safety conscious riders?
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 PM

Garage
I know in the SW a white car is a lot cooler than a black car.
Seems to reason on a smaller scale the same logic would
apply to your head. Visibility is a major factor also

I like white,

Ride while you can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode