textile or mesh - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
textile or mesh

So back in 2004 I bought a 2 piece Joe rocket textile suit and it works great. For summer riding I bought a Joe rocket mesh. The mesh has no liner. Over here in spokane in the early am it can be a bit chilly but get up there by noon time say mid 80's or higher. Usually I just throw a hoodie(dare I say that word?)on in the am under the mesh cause my textile gets to hot and I don't like the feel of the textile with out the liner. Do any of you own and like a mesh jacket with a good removable liner? I with they made one with a liner made out of a north face apex jacket the NF jackets blocks out wind very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 AM

Speed and Strength makes a nice jacket with removeable outer sleeves so it leaves a mesh area with all the armor in place that I was considering.

Think it was called the Hell N Back. Sadly no one had the ST version which has a water bladder and is a 3/4 length. So I went with a Tourmaster jacket which I love.

The one I tried on that wasn't the ST version was very comfortable and the store actually let me take it for a zip around their back lot as it was their dummy display. At 90 degrees with the liner out and the sleeves zipped off I was pretty cool at 25 mph.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 AM

I own a Joe Rocket 3/4 length textile for colder weather. I also have a Joe Rocket waist length mesh with removable liner. I wore the textile to work today, so I don't have the mesh model number with me. The mesh is VERY versatile. I probably could get by with the mesh on very cold days by using a fleece under the jacket with the liner. For most riding days, I use the mesh with liner on the way to work, then simply remove the liner for the ride home. The liner is waterproof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchieffallo View Post
I own a Joe Rocket 3/4 length textile for colder weather. I also have a Joe Rocket waist length mesh with removable liner. I wore the textile to work today, so I don't have the mesh model number with me. The mesh is VERY versatile. I probably could get by with the mesh on very cold days by using a fleece under the jacket with the liner. For most riding days, I use the mesh with liner on the way to work, then simply remove the liner for the ride home. The liner is waterproof.
Yeah I am gonna tell my wife to get mesh.. my JR is 3/4 textile as well love it but you are right I think the mesh is more versitile.... i love my mesh in hot weather it feels great.... just wish it had a liner. Next year it will be my turn to get jacket upgrage.... this year for the wife... i spent to much on ski stuff any way ;-)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:58 AM

There is a big difference in textile jackets between polyester, nylon, Cordura, Kevlar, etc.. The polyester used on most cheap textile jackets has little more abrasion resistance than cotton jeans while 1000D Cordura has similar abrasion resistance to heavy leather.

The following is on the MotoPort site but still contains some great general info on material comparisons.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...cles&Itemid=22

Last edited by Sprocket; 03-30-2012 at 11:31 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have 2 textile jackets and 1 mesh jacket.The mesh is a speed & strength it has a liner and i really like it and it has been crash tested but still looks new. Caught it on sale for $49.00 or $59.00 in 2010.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 PM
MTS

Have liked the Scorpion Hat Trick. Three liners. And love the Scorpion EXO. Had to go with First Gear Over Pants love those. Kevlar Slider for Summer with EXO. Sometimes its hard to find the right combo. 35 in the morning 85 at noon!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 PM

I have an Olympia Airglide 3, it has a couple of removable liners. I use the wind/rain liner on cooler days, and wear my Gerbings liner underneath in place of the Olympia thermal liner.

It's well made and comfortable.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Great replies fellas thanks for input.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 PM

Garage
I started with textile jacket. I added a mesh jacket to wear on really hot Summer days. Then I bought my thick heavy Alpinestars leather jacket. That's ALL I wear now, no matter how hot it gets. As for Textile or Mesh, I say neither, the answer is leather. My 2 cents.

Always trust your cape.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Have liked the Scorpion Hat Trick. Three liners. And love the Scorpion EXO. Had to go with First Gear Over Pants love those. Kevlar Slider for Summer with EXO. Sometimes its hard to find the right combo. 35 in the morning 85 at noon!
+1 on the Scorpion jackets. Have a XDR jacket for three seasons which has a windproof liner and an insulated vest liner, as well as a mesh jacket I picked up last year for a song on closeout. Seem to be well made and should last for a while.

Now gloves are another matter, as I had a pair that didn't even last a season, while some of my Held gloves have been around for years. YMMV...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Im a big fan of Olympia because they are better made IMO than the cheaper brands but not hugely more expensive. For example Thinsulate vs polyester fill insulation, more abrasion resistant Cordura vs polyester shell, breathable wind/water barrier, etc..

Jacket is on clearance most places these days as it is being replaced with updated model.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/olympia-gt-air-jacket

http://www.amazon.com/Olympia-Air-Seasons-Transition-Jacket/dp/B005FUQ0KE
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...on-Jacket.aspx

Last edited by twowheels; 04-03-2012 at 12:42 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 02:58 PM

I had to buy on the cheap to start out, and I can't compare to any other mesh jackets as I don't have a lot of disposable income to have a huge wardrobe of motorcycle gear.

That said, I've been happy enough with my Tourmaster Sonora jacket...
http://www.tourmaster.com/product/Te...r_Jacket/302/3

It has a waterproof and a quilted liner that are pretty easy to install and remove. I've used the jacket in temps from 30-90 degrees. It gets a little uncomfortable over long periods in the 30s though. I'd recommend it for 40 degrees and above.

Jackets are another thing you want to try on locally if possible. Some jackets are made for racing position and don't end up fitting well for our upright riding position.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I started with textile jacket. I added a mesh jacket to wear on really hot Summer days. Then I bought my thick heavy Alpinestars leather jacket. That's ALL I wear now, no matter how hot it gets. As for Textile or Mesh, I say neither, the answer is leather. My 2 cents.
What he said!!!!
Cuz nothing will keep your skin intact like leather. my two cents too.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
while 1000D Cordura has similar abrasion resistance to heavy leather.

fieldsheer mesh is 1000 denier. i think the one i have is out of production, but it does have a liner, as do the pants. not sure about current models.

have you considered perforated leather? if you're riding in mesh+hoodie, then rain is not an issue, true? can't beat leather for protection and i know my perf'd leather suit flows a lot of air.

or something like this.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 04-03-2012 at 06:21 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 PM

I have an Xelement mesh jacket with the removeable waterproof liner. I have owned three Joe Rocket jackets in the past, two mesh and one textile. The Xelement is lighweight, has good quality and only costs $90.00. I ride down from a mountain in the morning for work and the liner keeps me fairly warm. The mesh works great without the liner and I can feel the air passing through the entire jacket.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4b View Post
I have an Xelement mesh jacket with the removeable waterproof liner. I have owned three Joe Rocket jackets in the past, two mesh and one textile. The Xelement is lighweight, has good quality and only costs $90.00. I ride down from a mountain in the morning for work and the liner keeps me fairly warm. The mesh works great without the liner and I can feel the air passing through the entire jacket.
I would check the label on your jacket, if it says polyester it has no significant abrasion protection above 20MPH.

Last edited by Sprocket; 04-07-2012 at 03:34 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Naa.. It's 100% tritex nylon with level 3 armor. Hopefully I never find out about its abrasian resistance like I did with my Joe Rocket, which held up excellently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode