Holy Helmets! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Holy Helmets!

So I haven't bought a helmet since 2004.... yeah yeah I know it's old. I will be searching the forum later on but wanna ask a question for input right now!

I was hoping to find a flip up helmet with drop down sun visor for both my wife and myself. Gonna buy on line would like to keep it at 200 bucks per helmet. I would like to get a helemt that I can but head phones in but I know that costs allot more (guessing)
So any advice out there? My old HJC flip up needs to go! I would like to buy at newenough.com I know they changed there name. Funny I fond my picture there from 2004 the day I rode home my first bike a Vulcan Meanstreak... still got it and love it. Now my wife is getting a 2009 Versys (shhh don't tell her I will be putting a few miles on it myself!!!)after I sold her old honda dual sport when she was prego 3.5 years ago...I promised her a bike just had to wait a it.

There are so many out there hard to figure it out .Wife is willing to not have a flip up helemt so may just get her a non modular one. Any help would be appriciated!

Last edited by tommyt37; 03-28-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...th_helmet.html

this looks interesting any one have this baby?
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have an HJC IS-MAX-BT modular helmet. Comfortable but feels a little cheap. Matches my Voyager and Versys though.

I picked up a Bell Revolver modular Helmet on clearance around Christmas for under $100. Solid helmet, well made. A little on the round side which might be find for some but not so great for me. I thought it was going to be oval like the Bell Star I bought last summer.

Now, the Bell Star is a great helmet if you want air flow and a helmet that is aerodynamic. Motorcyclecloseouts.com has some for around $200. Not modular though.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have an HJC IS-MAX-BT modular helmet. Comfortable but feels a little cheap. Matches my Voyager and Versys though.

I picked up a Bell Revolver modular Helmet on clearance around Christmas for under $100. Solid helmet, well made. A little on the round side which might be find for some but not so great for me. I thought it was going to be oval like the Bell Star I bought last summer.

Now, the Bell Star is a great helmet if you want air flow and a helmet that is aerodynamic. Motorcyclecloseouts.com has some for around $200. Not modular though.
Saw in an m109 forum a guy said bell revolver was great. Looking at gmax
54 as well. Love that meanie pic.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Nolan N90 Modular with a Scala Rider Q2. I'm extremly happy with the nolan.Before the nolan i had an Scorpion EX-900 modular with the scala rider q2. The nolan is my favorite between the two. But i believe the helmet in the $220.00 range.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have the Nolan N90 Modular with a Scala Rider Q2. I'm extremly happy with the nolan.Before the nolan i had an Scorpion EX-900 modular with the scala rider q2. The nolan is my favorite between the two. But i believe the helmet in the $220.00 range.
Wow Nolan got an awesome review from web bike world. Does the sun visor drop low enough for you? I would do 220 for quality.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 AM

Haven't had an issue with my HJC-is-16 yet, flipl down sun visor, excellent ventillation and alot quieter than my old Vega

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt37 View Post
Wow Nolan got an awesome review from web bike world. Does the sun visor drop low enough for you? I would do 220 for quality.

I use the drop down visor alot and it comes down low enough for me. I got mine through Riders Discount and with our forum discount it was the best price at that time. Check Revzilla also once they were a couple of bucks cheaper. The Nolan is light for a modular.My Scorpion was really heavy and bulky both the helmets in the photos were XL's.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 AM

Garage
$215.99 on sale http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/n...0-n-com-helmet

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM

my $.02 is that every helmet fits everyone a little differently. Can you try some on at a store and then order them online? Maybe if you find one online you like for the right price, you can see if the shop will match the price? That way you'll support local business and you won't have to wait for shipping...

I don't think I could ever buy a helmet without trying it on first. I wanna make sure it's not pushing on any weird places too much and that my glasses fit comfortably.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhFZ View Post
Haven't had an issue with my HJC-is-16 yet, flipl down sun visor, excellent ventillation and alot quieter than my old Vega
I second the HJC IS-16 I love it and motorcyclegear.com sells them for $155
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice I will be looking at the Nolan N90, HJC-16 and the GMAX 54...... will have to make a choice.

Again great feed back.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamlegend21087 View Post
I second the HJC IS-16 I love it and motorcyclegear.com sells them for $155
Great review on HJC well liked had one short coming did you find this as well?

"OK, so here's the bad news. The face shield has only 3 positions: closed, half-open and fully open. I'm not sure if this is an issue only on this particular helmet, but I don't think so -- it doesn't seem that the rotating mechanism has a first short detent to hold the face shield open slightly for defogging. This is a definite shortcoming and something that is also surprising, having noted HJC's attention to detail above. The face shield can be finagled into opening slightly, but it's very difficult to do and it shouldn't be. Every helmet face shield should definitely, positively have a first small opening to allow for defogging or ventilation."
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
my $.02 is that every helmet fits everyone a little differently. Can you try some on at a store and then order them online? Maybe if you find one online you like for the right price, you can see if the shop will match the price? That way you'll support local business and you won't have to wait for shipping...

I don't think I could ever buy a helmet without trying it on first. I wanna make sure it's not pushing on any weird places too much and that my glasses fit comfortably.
I agree not many local stores though and the ones that do sell most of the helments are jacked up in price allot. Believe me I make it up on other things I buy from them,
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM

A modular helmet is good for long rides but should be quite and light... and I think these two characteristics belongs to a solid helmet. I think my next helmet would be a Shoei Qwest, I heard good comments about it.

it is what it is...
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
A modular helmet is good for long rides but should be quite and light... and I think these two characteristics belongs to a solid helmet. I think my next helmet would be a Shoei Qwest, I heard good comments about it.
Great helmet as well but I really like the drop down sun visor options in the other helmets.... I always loose or break my sun glasses
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 AM

I can't say I'm a big fan of modular helmets as they come with a few trade offs. For starters they are heavier, bulkier, usually noisier, have a less precise fit and don't usually meet the more stringent ECE 22.05 and Snell M2010 safety requirements. I ended up with a good quality (Arai) FF helmet with an optional tinted visor I use frequently (highly recommend this option - works better than a separate drop down visor - swapping visors takes maybe 60 seconds with practice). Great venting and when I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day I just ride with the visor up to get wind in my face.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Last edited by Sprocket; 03-30-2012 at 02:55 AM.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
...with an optional tinted visor I use frequently (highly recommend this option - works better than a separate drop down visor - swapping visors takes maybe 60 seconds with practice).
The value of a flip down visor comes in being able to swap a clear view for a tinted view on the fly. If you ride where there are tunnels or where the terrain is variably forested and open or into the sun, being able to go "flip" right now is a great advantage. No stopping, even for 60 seconds, and you can't leave your other visor at home. I doubt I'd buy another helmet without a flip down visor.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
The value of a flip down visor comes in being able to swap a clear view for a tinted view on the fly. If you ride where there are tunnels or where the terrain is variably forested and open or into the sun, being able to go "flip" right now is a great advantage. No stopping, even for 60 seconds, and you can't leave your other visor at home. I doubt I'd buy another helmet without a flip down visor.
I agree with previous poster about a non modular helmet as well but I agree with you I only want a helmet with a drop down tinted visor. I wonder if they make a non modular helmet with a drop down tinted visor built in like the modulars?
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 AM

Garage
The flip down visor is great for the exact reason Bones gave. I have the HJC IS 16 and just bought the $50 Gorilla modular from Kapsco (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ht=helmet+deal) Both have flip down tint shields. The HJC is a better over all helmet for quality and noise, but the Gorilla's flip down visor comes down lower and sits closer to the face making it a better sun shield.

The Gorilla is my first modular helmet, and I'm really liking it a lot. I think I'll be wearing modular lids from now on.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode