Need some gear pointers - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need some gear pointers

Hey all,

I just picked up my V last weekend (pics to come soon), but now that I have it I find myself a little low on funds for gear. Can anyone help point me to some decent, cheaper gear? I am in need of a helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, and I would also like to pick up some soft bags if I can find em. Again, I'm looking for cheaper stuff that gets the job done. The bike is green/black so a color match would also be nice. I'm on the hunt and any pointers is very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:40 PM

Keep an I on various sites for closeouts or specials:

Riders Discount (a sponsorer of this site!)

Motorcycle Superstore

Bike Bandit

Motorcycle Closeouts

Cycle Gear

AGV is a brand name that you can find at a reasonable price but with closeouts you can sometimes find higher quality gear at comparable prices.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...l_types?page=1

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM

+1 on Motorcycle Closeouts...

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport

Looks like the EXO 700 helmet dropped in price pretty recently.

I've personally found Cycle Gear stuff (Bilt brand) to be hit or miss fit-wise, so I'd be reticent to order something online. If they have a store local to you, they're worth checking out at least for starter gear.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the links and pointers! So far I haven't been able to find anything with green in it to match my bike I've been looking for soft bags, and I've seen some people with black ones with a green stripe but I have no idea what brand. Anyone know of any brands that have multi-color bags? So far the only two-tone I have seen is blue/red and black.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Yeah, there aren't many options for the green. This may give you some ideas though...

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-jackets

If you go there, on the left-hand side, there is an option to narrow the option by color. This may give you a decent idea of what's available.

I gotta say that hi-vis yellow is a pretty good combo with the green though. Can't go wrong from a coordination viewpoint as well as safety!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Cheap helmet for $50

http://www.kapscomoto.com/Helmets_s/6125.htm

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyFeet View Post
Hey all,

I just picked up my V last weekend (pics to come soon), but now that I have it I find myself a little low on funds for gear. Can anyone help point me to some decent, cheaper gear? I am in need of a helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, and I would also like to pick up some soft bags if I can find em. Again, I'm looking for cheaper stuff that gets the job done. The bike is green/black so a color match would also be nice. I'm on the hunt and any pointers is very much appreciated!
Suggest signing up for email flyers from all the online retailers, they often have clearances. Motorcycle closeouts has some great deals on old stock of Olympia gear.

Competition Accessories
Cycle Gear
Iron Pony
Motorcycle Closeouts
MotorcycleGear.com
Revzilla

Last edited by twowheels; 03-20-2012 at 07:21 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 PM

+1 on Motorcyclegear.com . I snagged a 'water resistant' Joe Rocket jacket last summer for $157 that was retailing for almost $500...just because it wasn't 'waterproof' like originally marketed. Well, I'm not much of a rain rider anyways, so no biggie....

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM

I've got a great Acerbis Matrix Jacket I want to get rid of... I picked up a First Gear Rainier (4x the cost) that I like better. Here's a review, but mine is all black:

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/a...pant-3598.html

I'm the second owner, but it's in near perfect condition. Both liners included. I just washed it in Nikwax, and then used Nikwax waterproofing on the exterior AND the waterproof liner. It's labeled "XL" but I'm a 42L and it fit me perfectly. Definitely more of an "L".

If you want pics, let me know. $100 shipped.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 AM

I've used bike bandit several times for gear and accessories.

Anytime there was a problem with my order I have called them and they have been very helpful and cordial. They can be a bit more (like 5-10$) from other retailers but when you call them they are pretty good about explaining delays and have issued me credit on shipping several times.

While not a huge discount they waived my shipping cost of 8 dollars on my jacket and gave me an additional 5% off for my trouble. So they aren't always the cheapest but they are pretty helpful and I tend to go there first.

"Why do I ride?"

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 AM

+1 on Motorcyclegear.com Run by motorcycle folks, always have a good deal on something, never had anything but first class service.

FWIW, the company used to be known as NewEnough.com and they got their start selling used leathers. That sense of looking to offer good value has stuck with them. As an example, when Oxtar boots changed its name to TCS over some legal issue, (then) NewEnough bought the entire remaining stock of Oxtar boots in the US and sold them for cheap. I got their Gore-tex touring boots for a song, still going strong after several years.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 AM

The jacket deal I got is back for just a bit: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html

$144, nice.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
...stuff...
What size and type jacket would you be looking for?

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM

One thing to be aware of is that not all gear is equal and you get what you pay for to a certain extent. For example the polyester most "value" gear is made of only has a fraction of the abrasion resistance of Cordura or similar type materials used in higher quality gear. The quality of the armor padding varies with gear and price too from shapeless foam padding to molded CE rated armor. Gear with breathable water barriers is more comfortable when you sweat. Some gear vents and insulates better than other gear.

As an example
http://olympiamotosports.com/features/
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Again, I'm looking for cheaper stuff that gets the job done. The bike is green/black so a color match would also be nice. I'm on the hunt and any pointers is very much appreciated!
OK, pointers:
1. used gear.
2. Forget the color match. Seriously. It's hard enough to find effective gear at a good price without looking for green.
3. If you buy textile gear, choose nylon instead of polyester. Most of the cheap textile gear you'll find is polyester, and of questionable value for abrasion protection.

I've gotten 3 jackets and 2 motorcycle pants used. Prices I paid range from $0 (Frank Thomas) to about $300 (BMW). If you have a local motorcycle forum, look there.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:
I am in need of a helmet, gloves, jacket, boots,
Do you already have pants? When people slide on pavement it's often on legs or butt. Denim jeans wear through in a few feet. On smooth pavement.

Jacket is important, but in a typical lowside I think you're more likely to slide on your pants. I usually wear armored motorcycle pants, but sometimes I wear on kevlar-lined motorcycle jeans with strap on knee guards underneath. Some say kevlar-lined jeans are worthless in a crash. They have to be worth more than regular jeans anyway.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 AM

General hint: Put as much of your budget on an excellent new helmet, and buy everything else used.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode