Helmet Age - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Helmet Age

My regular, everyday helmet is a Bell Star I bought last year, but my backup and the one I give to anyone who will ride with me is an AGV Stealth that I bought in 2008 and that was made in May 2007. I have read that helmets should be changed every 3 years, 5 years or only when the foam is falling out, so I am looking to the group for a bit of wisdom!

The helmet looks in good shape and I keep it in it's helmet sac in the garage, but I am not sure if it is time to get rid of it as it won't do its job, or keep it around. Thoughts?

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:54 PM

In SCCA autox, I heard 5 years is recommended for replacement, which is part of the reason that Snell has new certifications every 5 years. SCCA does allow helmets up to 10 years old, but that's b/c it's amateur racing at relatively low speeds.

The foam can deteriorate based on conditions as well, so just b/c the foam looks intact doesn't mean it is still protecting at 100% if it's getting old.

My personal rule is at minimum, when a new Snell rating comes out, I get a new helmet. The old one I keep in reserve for passengers, autox or go-karting. I usually buy a helmet more often though, especially since summers can get a bit sweaty, so both my current helmets are the latest snell 2010

2008 Kawasaki Versys
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM

i think common wisdom is 5-7. def not every 3, though builders would love that.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:56 PM

I've read that it should be every 5 years from date of manufacture.

The mfg date is stamped on the helmet somewhere, usually the chin strap. And yeah, you can't look at the helmet and tell it's okay. The simple appearance of the polystyrene can't tell you if it's going to do it's job or not in a crash.

Some people think this is kind of a gimmick by manufacturers to sell more helmets. Hey, I'm no expert and don't know. But one would think there are experts out there, and I've never heard of one saying the 5 yr claim is bogus...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 AM

A German motorcycle magazine tested a range of old helemts, 3 years, 10 years, 25 years. They all performed just fine with the standard tests for crash safety.

It'd switch helmets when they are worn out, our when something better comes around.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
A German motorcycle magazine tested a range of old helemts, 3 years, 10 years, 25 years. They all performed just fine with the standard tests for crash safety.

It'd switch helmets when they are worn out, our when something better comes around.
I could see that being the case. However, I kinda like a new helmet every few years, not because of safety or being worn out, but because I like a change once in a while.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM

This is personal opinion because I dont have statistics to back it up (I dont think anyone has actual solid statistics to back up helmet deterioration time limits), but I think the 5 year thing is to boost sales. There are so many factors, Im not sure anyone can predict when a helmet would lose its effectiveness significantly. We all treat our helmets differently, we all live and ride in different environments, we all store our helmets differently and we all wear our helmets varying amounts or time per year. For that matter, there are so many different manufacturing techniques and materials in use today that its stupid to even say every helmet will wear out at the same time.
How in the hell can someone sitting in a lab in California tell me when my helmet is finished doing its job, not knowing anything about how or when I wear it or how I treat it, what its made of or how its made. Thats just ridiculous.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
How in the hell can someone sitting in a lab in California tell me when my helmet is finished doing its job, not knowing anything about how or when I wear it or how I treat it, what its made of or how its made. Thats just ridiculous.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Is there any list out there that ranks the say the top 20 helmets overal in areas of safety, price, comfort etc?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Is there any list out there that ranks the say the top 20 helmets overal in areas of safety, price, comfort etc?
According to some, helmets are safety rated by the price list, or should I say "list price".
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

The reasom i asked is my shark RSX helmet has seen better days, its 3 years old, already stuffed one visor, bit of plastic and end of chin strap come off, a few paint chips off and some detorarion around the bottom. I really just need justification to tell the wife i want a new helmet as want one with internal sunvisor.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post

IDK but helmet standards get updated about every 5 years or so and there is continuous, although slow, improvement in helmet safety with R&D. I can't imagine a helmet designed and built 20 years ago is as impact absorbent a more modern ECE 22.05 or Snell M2010 compliant helmet. Could you post links?

Last edited by twowheels; 04-21-2012 at 08:01 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I really just need justification to tell the wife i want a new helmet as want one with internal sunvisor.
Love my EXO 1000 with internal visor

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 PM

Wow, that thing is only three years old. I dont think mine would look like that in six years. You must ride alot more than I.
That is a prime example of why no one can put an age limit on all helmets.
I would say theres plenty of justification for a new helmet there. Primarily the chin strap and the wish for an internal sunvisor.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Wow, that thing is only three years old. I dont think mine would look like that in six years. You must ride alot more than I.
That is a prime example of why no one can put an age limit on all helmets.
I would say theres plenty of justification for a new helmet there. Primarily the chin strap and the wish for an internal sunvisor.
One of the reasons i wear it out is I do a long of short rides, group rides and that may mean short stops with helmet on the off and riding in middle earth you can get 4 seasons in one day with somtimes extreme conditions and running awy from orc's coming out of the hills is pretty scary.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 03:51 AM

@kiwi41
Ugh, that looks nasty. The damage to the strap alone would be reason enough for me to get rid of that helmet ASAP. Did you untingle the D-straps completely all the time? You don't really have to, just widen it so far that can squeeze your head out.

@twowheels
Considering updated standards, I think these mostly apply to prevention of helmet stripping. You can't really increase damping without making the helmet heavier, which would also be dangerous. But IDK for sure.

One test of old helmets by the same magazine I was thinking about was done in 2000, and the results are available on http://www.motorradonline.de/de/bekl...te-helme/80955
Appearently, they messed up the conversion from print to web, so I did some formating:

Modell Baujahr Prüfung Schale Dämpfung
(Make Year Certificate Matter Damping)
Schuberth Profil 1993 ECE 22/03 Thermoplast 140 g
Schuberth Profil 1992 ECE 22/03 Thermoplast 127 g
Schub. Super Visor 1993 ECE 22/03 Duroplast 112 g
BMW System 1 1981 DIN 4848 Duroplast 127 g
BMW System 1 1983 DIN 4848 Duroplast 213 g
Nolan 1991 ECE 22/03 Thermoplast 111 g
Boeri 1988 ECE 22/02 Duroplast 136 g
AGV 1980 DIN 4848 Thermoplast 1003 g
Shoei 1994 ECE 22/03 Duroplast 108 g
Shoei RF 108 1988 ECE 22/02 Duroplast 131 g
Uvex Boss 1988 ECE 22/02 Thermoplast 103 g
Uvex Boss 1989 ECE 22/02 Duroplast 111 g
MDS M 81 1987 ECE 22/02 Duroplast 112 g

neue Helme zum Vergleich:
(modern helmts to compare)
Schuberth Profil 1993 ECE 22/03 Thermoplast 110 g
Schuberth Profil 1993 ECE 22/03 Thermoplast 112 g

Stoßdämpfung in Anlehnung an ECE 22/03, Geschwindigkeit 6 m/s, Prüfpunkt B (Stirn), Halbkugel-Amboß
(Testing according to ECE 22/03, speed 6 m/s (13.4 mph), test spot B (forehead), half-sphere anvil)

I'm sure I've read a test with similar results in the last 8 months or so, but can't find it online. Maybe put it online later.

My interpretation of results: The AGV fails pretty hard, and the 2 BMW helmets show that age alone cannot be a big facotr, as the older one performs better. The rest is worse than new, but mostly not that far away, some are even better than the new helmets.

In general, always buy the best helmet you can afford. Also consider "active safety", so to say feeling good and relaxed in a helmed. And get a Pinlock visor if you ride in less than perfect weather.

@kirk
Of course, a new design or other helmet type is nice from time to time

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=blahwas;195596]@kiwi41
Ugh, that looks nasty. The damage to the strap alone would be reason enough for me to get rid of that helmet ASAP. Did you untingle the D-straps completely all the time? You don't really have to, just widen it so far that can squeeze your head out.

@QUOTE]

Thanks for the response blahwas, i never undo the d-straps just loosen and tighten as it is obviusally quicker, i will take your recomendations to my general manager to get her sign off on a new helmet.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:

Phil,
You'll find most comprehensive and fair reports about helmets here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

My choice is Schuberth helmet and after 5+ years it's still in great shape and form. I even banged it against the car once and it performed as it should.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
Phil,
You'll find most comprehensive and fair reports about helmets here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

My choice is Schuberth helmet and after 5+ years it's still in great shape and form. I even banged it against the car once and it performed as it should.
Cheers
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 AM

The UK gov't has a rating scheme with a accessible website at http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode