Rain proof boots and gloves? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rain proof boots and gloves?

Last week in Sydney we had some fairly heavy rain.

I decided to ride to work anyway and threaded my way through one massive traffic jam. Only problem was that my Dririder boots (haha, the irony of that brand name!) and gloves soaked up the water. After a 30 min ride they were totally saturated - you'd think I'd been for a swim!

Can anybody recommend boots and gloves that will stay dry inside even in heavy rain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 AM

I like TCX boots.

http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti...hp?categoria=2

The brand name has changed, used to be Oxtar. Among others, they make boots that BMW sells under their brand name.

Gloves? Dunno. There are waterproof gloves in abundance. Problem is that they all leak eventually.

George
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM

I haven't tried them in the rain yet, but I picked up these size 13 closeouts from http://www.motorcyclegear.com

1 Sidi Way Rain Boots - Black, Size 48 [$125.00]

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begbiie View Post
Last week in Sydney we had some fairly heavy rain.

I decided to ride to work anyway and threaded my way through one massive traffic jam. Only problem was that my Dririder boots (haha, the irony of that brand name!) and gloves soaked up the water. After a 30 min ride they were totally saturated - you'd think I'd been for a swim!

Can anybody recommend boots and gloves that will stay dry inside even in heavy rain?
Better quality leather will not bleed dye when it gets wet. It's not an issue for me if my hands get wet when it's hot out but when it rains and is cooler/cold I ride with Rev'It insulated water proof gloves that take me down to about 45F/8C.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Icon Reign boots

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclist View Post
I like TCX boots.

http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti...hp?categoria=2

The brand name has changed, used to be Oxtar. Among others, they make boots that BMW sells under their brand name.

Gloves? Dunno. There are waterproof gloves in abundance. Problem is that they all leak eventually.
+1. While they are my first pair of proper riding boots, the TCX X-Action Waterproof boots (Link) have worked really well for me. They fit right and have worn in nicely over the year that I've owned them.

Edit: I should mention that they run about a half size to full size large. I wear a 13-13.5 in most shoes and was swimming in the 13's I ordered so switched to the 12.5's.

Last edited by psych-ed; 03-11-2012 at 07:06 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Anything with Gore-tex in it should be waterproof.

I have a pair of Teknic touring boots that have a gore-tex like membrane that haven't left me wet yet.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 AM

I have a 11" high boots that has a AeroTex liner from MotoBell. Worked well and survived a horrendous rain showers for countless hours.

I bought a waterproof glove from eBay, but it did soaked up a little moisture.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 AM

I have the Fly Sport Touring boots. I got caught in a downpour in January on my way in. the only places soaked through was my neck and my jeans hem that stuck out from the bottom of my pants.

Boots help up well and my feet were dry as a bone. Now if I hadn't been wearing my over pants I'm sure the water would have eventually soaked in from the top. But paired with my overpants feet were warm and toasty.

"Why do I ride?"

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 AM

I've been using Sidi Rain boots for the past few years with very good results. They run a little small. Next pair I'll order the next size. Just recently purchased a pair of waterproof gloves from Motorcycle Gear. Can't recall the model, but they were tested and highly recommended by Motorcycle Consumer News. Haven't had the chance to use them in actual riding situation. However, holding them in bucket of water, my hands remained bone dry.

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM

+1 on Sidi way rain boots. They're comfortable and dry summer or winter. I wear 1/2 a size up from my normal shoe size since they do run a bit small as mentioned.

For cooler wet whether I have Tecknic Thunder gloves that have worked great for four winters. For warmer wet weather I use a waterproof cover mitt over my mesh riding gloves.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ek-Gloves.aspx

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 AM

I also have some Sidi boots, don't remember which model, but a waterproof model. They've been good. After a couple seasons I started to get just a little bit of a damp toe. This past rain season I got some leather waterproof wax and rewaxed them. I haven't done any wet weather riding this year though. The wifey hates it when I do, and I've been able to take the car.

I also have some Hugger waterproof m/c gloves http://www.huggergloves.com/. I've liked them quite a bit, the price is right, and these I also had to re-waterproof, but they've been OK.

I don't usually ride through torrential downpours, but the boots and gloves I have have been alright for the wet weather riding I've done. I also just got some Oxford Handle Bar Muffs http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5261/, but haven't used them in the rain yet. They look like they'll do the trick though.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I have a pair of TCX Synergy boots for touring and they are water "resistant", but haven't failed me yet. Too much of a boot for riding to work, so I just got a pair of Teknic Chicane waterproof street boot from Revzilla. Nice shoe for the price, comfortable and looks good on and off the bike. Haven't tried them in the rain yet, but see no reason they shouldn't work as well...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:18 PM

++1 on TCX.

Gloves are a bigger challenge, only truly dry glove I've used are extra large rubber gloves over regular gloves. Get the longest length you can-one of my buddies recommends 'seminal insertion gloves', available from your local feed store;-)

They roll up small and if you put a couple of rubber bands over the wrists, you'll stay dry guaranteed. AND an added benefit, they look so cool and cost almost nothing!

Machog

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Anything with Gore-tex in it should be waterproof.

I have a pair of Teknic touring boots that have a gore-tex like membrane that haven't left me wet yet.
Got a set of BMW gore-tex boots and handle very wet weather and also work well in real hot weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode