LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
frogg toggs

Anybody use frogg toggs? Opinions?

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Frogg Togg has a range of products. The cheaper ones that fold up small can melt on hot parts and shred in the wind if not protected. I have some 'farm' ones that I found on clearance. Overalls and jacket with full velcro flaps. Work great but take up a lot of room.

I do have a cheaper set that I won at a rally. I have duct tape on the inside of the leg because of a melt and I wear a reflective vest over the jacket to keep it from flapping in the wind.

If you can't find a set for $20, I would recommend getting motorcycle specific rainwear from the larger manufacturers like neslon rigg, tourmaster, etc.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM

I used to use frogg toggs at work but I kept getting wet....And within minutes. That was just standing in the rain.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM

I've never used Frogg Toggs but have ridden with people who do. They tend to fall into two groups: people who swear by them, and people who swear at them.

I'm with twowheeladdict...pony up and buy some proper moto rain gear.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Yes, I actually own them and use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
I've got the jacket and pants combo of this model: http://www.froggtoggs.com/#outerwear...cycle/FT63132/.

I bought them a few months into my six month trip last year, to replace a set of coated nylon rain gear that had seen enough miles and wind, that the waterproof coating was rubbed-off the inside.

I've since used them in light sprinkles, and heavy downpours, and thus far haven't gotten wet. They seem to breath a bit compared to the nylon. As far as shredding goes, I've experienced literal shredding of cheap pvc raingear riding through the Snake River Plain in ID, as a result of 30-40 mph head and cross winds; and, I've ridden the FTs through that same area and didn't have any issue.

The model I got is fairly simple and thus packs-up small. However, FT seems to make a full assortment of stuff - from super heavy duty - to lightweight. One advantage of the model above is that there isn't any sort of coating to get rubbed-off, resulting in a lack of 'waterproofness.'

I got mine for $60-something at Cabelas.

Based on my experience so far, I'd recommend them if want utility, pack-ability, and low cost.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 AM

I just threw away a pair that was about 10 years old. They didn't leak, but the outer covering was coming off. Also, bending over forward would pull the back elastic up and soak my lower back.

In my opinion, specific motorcycle rain gear is far better suited to the conditions. I have a 2-piece Nelson-Rigg suit that works better, packs better and is cheaper.

Also, stay away...FAR AWAY from those Dry Ducks on the FT site. Horrible!!!

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 AM

Look here. Occasional deals to be had...my TourMaster 2-piece set was under $50.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 AM

+1 on the TourMaster rain gear.

My wife and I got stuck in a bad rain in Daytona last year without our trusty old TourMaster rain suits and sprung for some Frogs. We traded them back into Cyclgear as soon as we got home. Both of our shirts had gotten wet and they do not have heat shields on the inside of the legs if you touch the pipe. Hers melted.

We have close to 100k miles each on our TourMasters and they still work in the hard rains. I am replacing our jackets this year because they have newer relective stripes.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM
MTS

Used some of the cheapies fishing. They were ok but i would not use them on a motorcycle. IMO

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 PM

I have a set of Frogg Toggs, and I am happy with them. I keep them with me and use them in the rain, and as an extra outer layer when it gets cold. They aren't thick, but the fact that they aren't that breathable means they block the wind, which helps when I'm wearing jeans.

I did ride in a soaker of a thunderstorm for a couple hours between Erie and Cleveland. I stayed dry, except for my hands and my feet (the areas the suit didn't cover).

My complaints? They are loose, which means they flap a lot, so I have to go slower. But if it's raining or cold, going slower is recommended, so I don't mind. They have not yet shreaded on me, and I have had them over 3 years. My other complaint is the elasticized pant cuffs. Once they pull up over your boots, there is no way to get them down again without getting off the bike. Then rain starts pouring into your footwear. I could have sworn that my boot were actually filling with water, but it was just that my socks were saturated. Luckily, it was July, and I didn't mind.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
The Horny Toadz model of Frogg Toggs is really good, it is specifically made for motorcycle riding, they are of a thicker material than the traditional model..It has all the sippers and velcro enclosures...Great rain suit..Here is a link, I bought mine at a mc show for 100.00...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...45&zmap=303612

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s102000 View Post
The Horny Toadz model of Frogg Toggs is really good, it is specifically made for motorcycle riding, they are of a thicker material than the traditional model..It has all the sippers and velcro enclosures...Great rain suit..Here is a link, I bought mine at a mc show for 100.00...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...45&zmap=303612
I have one of those that I have never used - green top and black bottom. I bought it for $116.00 but you can have it for $90.00 shipped if you would like.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the opinions folks. Since I want to have a variety of gear in my store, I think the Frogg Toggs will be a good addition and an affordable option for rain gear. It may not be the best, bu not everyone needs the best.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode