Winter Gloves - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Winter Gloves

I am looking for a new pair of gloves. I have been using my ski gloves but last weekend the temp was 33 with rain. I got home and my hands were cold. I just bought a Tourmaster liner and will try it out in the morninig. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a nice pair of winter gloves. I am trying to ride through the winter in Colorado. I expect I will get some cold days. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 10:01 PM

I tried on some gloves last weekend at a cycle shop that were really nice. I don't know what the brand was but they had ones for $45 and ones for $50. They sure were alot nicer then what I wore last Winter. I was so tempted to buy a pair but didn't. They probably had a 100 pair on their shelf. I bet they got a heck of a deal buying them in quantity.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Held glove I prefer the ice-breakers are rely nice.
http://www.heldusa.com/icebreaker.htm

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

The ice-breakers glove looks nice but they are going out of buisness. If I didn't get a good fit I would be out the price of the gloves. I don't feel like throwing a buck thirty away.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 AM

get heated grips ,theres a kit to retrofit almost any bike and trust me its worth the money

AMA EAA STN
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Talking

Two suggestions for non-heated these are excellent.

http://www.olympiagloves.com/viewgloves.html

Waterproof, warm and flexible, they use Gortex and Thinsulate, plus the price is right. I wear these until it gets really nipply.

If you have the funds, heated gloves, with a heatroller (thermostat) and heated jacket liner are the only way to go.

There are many good ones out there; www.gerbing.com and http://cozywinters.com/shop/wg-mhlg.html are brands I've used.

Once you have tried them, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

They last for years, my Gerbings are over 15 years old and still work, but gloves literally wore out, not the electrics (guaranteed for life), leather started to break up.

If you go the heated route, make sure you get the heatroller, and on/off switch won't cut it. I run mine on the coldest days (around freezing) around 60-70% power. If you are worried about spending a lot on heated gear-amortize it over 15 years or so and it won't seem so expensive-plus it will increase your riding season to year round, well it does in WA state, but wouldn't in Alberta Ca.

Having tried heated gloves-jacket and heated grips, heated gear is a much better way to go, if you can afford it.

Machog
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to bigpun2216
fox polar paw's works for me all winter in rhode island
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 06:49 PM

New Enough usually has some pretty good deals on gloves.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM

Remember too, hand guards help a whole lot since they block the wind.

Personally, I never found a glove that keeps my hands decent. Sure, you can get some very good gloves if you mainly do local riding, but for any rides at hwy speeds even for as little as an hour in weather in the 30s, will make my hands painful cold.

If you want to resist electrical heat, just get some Gortex winter mitts. They seem awkward at first, but they are not as bad as you think, and they do a great job keeping the hands warm.

Still, like Machog said, there is nothing like heated gear and gloves. You can keep the hands warm without all that bulk.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I have the tourmaster heated liner but I have only heard a couple of good reviews about their gloves the rest has been dismal. If there is someone else out there that has used the tourmaster heated glove and liked them let me know. HAs anyone used the Alpinestar wr-3? I have heated grips would love heated gloves but I am not going to buy a controller or all the extra wiring. Are any gloves compatible with the tourmaster liner?

Last edited by skibum1015; 10-18-2008 at 11:23 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Now i was just wondering the heated gloves how is power distributed to them is it one cord splitting and going to one another like a Y splitter or is it power goes to one glove than comes of that one and goes to the other one.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 PM

vr, its a "Y".

You can also add, jacket, pants and socks through various plug options. I just have gloves and jacket. Each item also has a 'tuned' resistor to ensure even power distribution.

Both jacket and glove wiring is tailored for bike riding. I.E. more wires in forearms, jacket front, shouldlers and back of gloves.

Machog
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 07:01 PM

winter gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum1015 View Post
I am looking for a new pair of gloves. I have been using my ski gloves but last weekend the temp was 33 with rain. I got home and my hands were cold. I just bought a Tourmaster liner and will try it out in the morninig. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a nice pair of winter gloves. I am trying to ride through the winter in Colorado. I expect I will get some cold days. Thanks!
I went to Bass pro shops, I bought electric gloves and socks, they run on batteries but it does the job, I dont remember but I think they cost like $20-$30 each.
here are the socks http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

the gloves have thinsulate, cant seem to find the gloves, was funny I was just talking to the guys at work about these battery powered gloves and sox today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode