Hit-Air Airbag Jackets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hit-Air Airbag Jackets

Hey guys-

Just wondering if I'm the only person here wearing a Hit-Air airbag system jacket? Been rocking it since I bought my first streetbike last year. While I hope I never have call for it to deploy, I must say it adds a bit of reassurance when riding. So- anyone else? Experiences with them? Anyone have theirs deploy in a crash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Never heard of Hit-Air? Where can I see it online and learn about it. I know Dainese and Alpinestar have airbag systems, but they seem to be only for their race suits...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Great concept and with time it'll probably become the norm much like how ce armour now is.

http://www.hansenenterprises.net/bra...rporation.html

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:29 PM

An old thread, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

I've been rocking mine for at least 4 years now. I wear it almost daily. Never had to use it, although the airbag did deploy when I dropped my bike at a near standstill. The jacket looks like it's 4 years old, but it's holding up great! I never ride without it. I want to add one of their mesh jackets to my lineup but don't have the cash for one now.

Safermoto.com

I highly recommend them!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
An old thread, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

I've been rocking mine for at least 4 years now. I wear it almost daily. Never had to use it, although the airbag did deploy when I dropped my bike at a near standstill. The jacket looks like it's 4 years old, but it's holding up great! I never ride without it. I want to add one of their mesh jackets to my lineup but don't have the cash for one now.

Safermoto.com

I highly recommend them!
How does it deploy? Is it tethered to the bike? You have to remember to disconnect every time you dismount?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I keep forgetting to unplug my heated gear when dismounting. A tethered airbag for me would probably be amusing for others but a bad idea for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:04 AM

I've had the vest for a few years now. Wear it all the time. I've forgot to unhook, but it takes 60lbs of pull to deploy the airbag. You'll pull the bike over first. I'll get a full mesh jacket at some point.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I've had the vest for a few years now. Wear it all the time. I've forgot to unhook, but it takes 60lbs of pull to deploy the airbag. You'll pull the bike over first. I'll get a full mesh jacket at some point.
So theoretically, you could hit the ground or crumple onto the bike when hitting a car prior to separating from the bike enough to deploy the air bag?

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 09:29 AM

It deploys when you're separated from your bike. There's a tether that you attach to the bike that clips into a CO2 cartridge on the jacket/vest. When you get separated from the bike, it pulls the "key" from the cartridge that inflates the jacket.

Likely it won't inflate if you crumple on to the bike. It's designed to protect ribs and neck if you get thrown from your bike.

2011 Imperial Red
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 09:42 AM

I've had mine for 3 years and forget to detach it all the time with no issue. the airbag really is only for getting thrown, but there is the same quality of armour in it for low sides etc.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

I started wearing one of their vests recently, as it give me the option for any of my moto jackets by season.

I've forgotten to disconnect it many times too, and you would very likely pull the bike over before deploying the airbag. That said- I dropped the bike out from under me entering a garage with a metal sidewalk lip in the rain- The claims that it deploys in .25 seconds are entirely accurate. The vest was fully deployed before the bike hit the ground. So every day it's a reasonably lightweight hi-viz vest (which makes a real difference in NYC), and should the need arise a full airbag system. I still feel a lot better having it on when I ride, and consider it part of my ATGATT routine.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I keep forgetting to unplug my heated gear when dismounting....
Here's what I made w/ a 'label maker' to help MY memory.... (and I know it's NOT level...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03034.jpg (69.5 KB, 92 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's what I made w/ a 'label maker' to help MY memory.... (and I know it's NOT level...)

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:08 AM

I went to the link but didn't see a price. Did I miss it? How much?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee-Houston View Post
I went to the link but didn't see a price. Did I miss it? How much?

Took me awhile using google and searching several websites to find a price, they don't make it easy to buy one...

Depending on model and options...around $500.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Safermoto is where I've purchased both my Hit-Air jacket and vest. THey're very nice and good to do business with. Highly recommended:

http://www.safermoto.com/

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Took me awhile using google and searching several websites to find a price, they don't make it easy to buy one...

Depending on model and options...around $500.
They don't, but it's still cheaper than a trip to the hospital. The added protection against busted ribs puncturing organs is worth every dollar to me. My life is worth it...

People sell used ones from time to time in the $250 price range.

2011 Imperial Red
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
I started wearing one of their vests recently, as it give me the option for any of my moto jackets by season.

I've forgotten to disconnect it many times too, and you would very likely pull the bike over before deploying the airbag. That said- I dropped the bike out from under me entering a garage with a metal sidewalk lip in the rain- The claims that it deploys in .25 seconds are entirely accurate. The vest was fully deployed before the bike hit the ground. So every day it's a reasonably lightweight hi-viz vest (which makes a real difference in NYC), and should the need arise a full airbag system. I still feel a lot better having it on when I ride, and consider it part of my ATGATT routine.
That's the vest I wear.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 AM

I am pretty happy in my 'Stitch.

But I know more than a few people that rock air bag vests. Just not my cup of tea?

Hooligan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode