Gear for long rides - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gear for long rides

I will be going on a 2 week ride this June. I have a three season jacket, a good glove selection, and rain gear. What pants and boots do you recommend? Mesh pants with zip out liner maybe? I am wanting water proof boots that won't cause my feet to overheat. Suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

The ride will be through areas such as Colorado, Utah, N./S. Dakota, Wyoming, and even a tripto Glacier National Park.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM

Sounds like you're on the right track for the pants. Easy care namebrand mesh textiles with zipout liner that you can wear layers under for the cool/cold temps. For boots I'd say quality waterproof boot that have plenty of support and are large enough for you to wear wool socks in for the cold.

I have sidi way rain boots that are great and yet aren't to hot. When I got them they were $200 but prices for them and comparable ones have come down. Quality gear costs but when looked at as an investment it's worth it.....especially when you consider what so many of us have paid for a simple hugger and/or front fender extension!

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 PM

Good that you're thinking about what gear you'll need in advance of your trip.

Waterproof boots aren't going to be as cool as ventilated boots, but if you get some with a Gore-Tex lining they let your feet breathe. Check here for some options currently on closeout. Motorcyclegear.com used to be called NewEnough.com...great company to deal with, run by motorcycle guys. They have jackets and pants and gloves as well.

You might also start to think about what tools you plan to carry beyond the OEM tool kit. Never hurts to be able to plug a tire leak, inflate tires, and remove wheels from the bike if a tire is beyond plugging. You'll want chain lube (the 4 oz. squeeze bottle of DuPont Teflon is ideal). Make sure you have some spare fuses.

CARRY A SPARE KEY, either on your person or cleverly hidden on an unlocked part of the bike.

Have a great trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Going-To-The-Sun in Glacier MIGHT not be open till July, and you'll probably see snow if you're early. Have some warm stuff w/ you. Also, Hwy 89 south from St. Mary at the eastern gate, then Hwy 2 to East Glacier is your FRIEND! I've camped down there, out of my way, just to ride those roads a couple times a day! Watch for free-range cattle tho'.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM

a 4 season jacket might be better than 3 season

I'd forget mesh and go with vented textile. More protective, and more adaptable to weather (except maybe the hot & humid of the south east). I don't like the abrupt transition from being too cold in mesh/perforated gear to too hot with the liner. Much prefer zipping up a vent while I ride. And most mesh doesn't offer much abrasion protection.

Some people make mesh work for this stuff too, and there may be a few mesh choices that offer protection.

Looks like you'll be traveling in the mountains. When I ride in the mountains in the Summer I prepare for freezing temps. I may also try to be prepared for >100F temps at lower elevations--you can go from 32F to 105F in a couple of hours or so. If you're riding from the SE, maybe it will be hot & humid too.

Also I'd make sure to look for nylon gear over polyester.

The pants I'd grab from my gear closet are BMW Rallye II Pro. Some venting, and lightly insulated liner. Very waterproof. If you remove the knee armor, they're good for hiking and other activities you might do on your travels. They're available at clearance prices (which are higher than some gear at retail). 500D Cordura, so they're much stouter than mesh, but there is plenty of stronger stuff out there.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 PM

In the CO high country in June (and in September) you have to be prepared for four seasons. As davidg said. when riding over the Rockies from the Front Range to the Colorado plateau you can go from 90 F to freezing to over 100 F temps in a single day and getting snow in June in the mountains is common. In June I ride with vented gear and change to mesh once I reach lower altitudes. I have a three season mesh jacket (two liners). However, I supplement with thermal underwear and or with a tightfitting light fleece jacket. I take the time to add or remove layers as I move from on temperature zone to another. Dressing in layers is the key. I take advantage of some of my ski underlayer gear when I ride. I also carry summer and winter gloves with liners and I take the time to change them before my hands get to cold. I would also carry dedicated rain gear. Rain here, when is not falling in solid form (it hail's more often in Colorado than anywhere else in the US), is very, very cold. Even if your gear claim to be waterproof (no garment is) you are still going to feel cold as the outerlayer dries out. Better to keep you main gear dry and change in and out of the rain gear as needed.

Some of the most scenic places require you to hike a mile or two off the road or a parking lot. For that I carry pair of light hiking shoes. Not fun to hike a couple of miles in riding boots.

Its a pain to carry the extra gear but worth it.

CO is home and I ride in the mountains a lot. Send me a PM if you wan some tips on where to ride and where to stay.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM

+1 on being ready for 4 seasons. I've ridden through snow clouds in July at upper elevations. (Glacier, Crater Lake)

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Highest point through I70, if you choose to take that route to go across CO is 11,158 ft (Eisenhower tunnel). Some of the other passes are even higher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_mountain_passes

Sooner or later you have to go over one.

Sunday I was with my son skiing right on top of the tunnel (Loveland ski area).

Like he says. It's epic
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherman View Post

I am wanting water proof boots that won't cause my feet to overheat. Suggestions please.
If you're worried about sweaty feet then how about ventilated boots and boot rain covers. The rain covers will also act as insulation when it's cold. I always wear rain gear as my outer layer when it's cold. Really helps block that cold wind.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Me and Momma spend a lot of time riding all around Colorado about every year on my KLR650. My Daytona Gor-Tex boots have never let me down...I love them.
Dan
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
I will be going on a 2 week ride this June. I have a three season jacket, a good glove selection, and rain gear. What pants and boots do you recommend? Mesh pants with zip out liner maybe? I am wanting water proof boots that won't cause my feet to overheat. Suggestions please.
Goretex boots work well in most conditions but any unvented boot is going to be hot past 85F.

Very happy with my Olympia pants. They have adjustable venting and comfortable in all weather conditions. Only issue is rain liner is a pain to stop and install in rain, I usually just ride without the liner when it is hot and starts to rain as shell is water resistant without liner. In the cool I keep the liner in all the time.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM

Personally, the first gear (so to speak) I would buy is a 44-T rear sprocket. Cruise all day at 75 MPH at around 5,500 RPM. You'll feel better trying to keep up with the dualies pulling horse trailers at 85 MPH.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Kilimanjaro jacket - works in hot (vents open, jacket liner packed), cold (all the above IN or CLOSED), and rain. PLUS, the jacket liner works when you're OFF the bike!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 PM

Last July I rode across the country (112F in OK), up the Rockies, across the Bear Tooth into Montana and back to Charleston. I wore BMW AirFlow pants and jacket, Oxtar Matrix Gore-Tex boots with smartwool ski socks, and a pair from the three sets of gloves (in different weights) that I packed.
- When it was hot I rode with lightweight gloves and wore the BMW jacket over a long sleeve t-shirt.
- When it got cold I added a windbreaker and/or North Face down sweater and warmer gloves.
- When it rained I put on a breathable foul-weather rain suit from West Marine and three-finger glove covers over my deerskin gloves.
This combination of riding gear worked great.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.

Last edited by CharlestonADV; 02-22-2012 at 06:56 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much. You all gave great advice. I'm taking a little from everyone.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure if you can get them in the US, but Daytona motorcycle boots with goretex are the only pair of boots a rider will ever need over here in Germany. Truely waterproof, reliable, comfortable, and made to last.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
I'm not sure if you can get them in the US, but Daytona motorcycle boots with goretex are the only pair of boots a rider will ever need over here in Germany. Truely waterproof, reliable, comfortable, and made to last.
We can get them here in San Jose(Helimot). Sadly, my Daytona's(with the Goretex) became very leaky after about 4 years. Disappointing.
Sorry for the thread jack.

Synthetic clothes(socks, underwear, thermals, etc.) dry quickly, and will still insulate, if water gets into your boots, jacket, pants.
Sounds like a fun trip.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
Synthetic clothes(socks, underwear, thermals, etc.) dry quickly, and will still insulate, if water gets into your boots, jacket, pants.
Yes, but will stink after multiple days without washing. I really recommend Merino wool underwear, socks, and thermals- any base layer that touches the skin. More expensive, but seems to be worth it.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
Yes, but will stink after multiple days without washing. I really recommend Merino wool underwear, socks, and thermals- any base layer that touches the skin. More expensive, but seems to be worth it.
Absolutely! If you can afford the Merino wool, get it. I have some Smart wool socks, that have worked well, also. An idea to wash the stuff - a small collapsable bowl(check any store with camping items). Then attach the clothes to the bike somehow(under a cargo net), and ride. It dries fairly quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode