Olympia Moto Sports Jackets/Pants - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Olympia Moto Sports Jackets/Pants

I have the opportunity to become a dealer for OMS and would like to get the forums opinions on which jackets/pants etc they like and why. I'd like to carry the models that are most popular.
Thanks.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 PM

I have the AST in hi-viz. Been riding with it on my daily commute year round, rain, snow, sun and love it. It's never leaked once and is warm enough for winter riding with just a fleece under it. Great gear. The only complaint, if one at all, is the neck is a little tight. I do have a thick neck though ;-)

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
I have the opportunity to become a dealer for OMS and would like to get the forums opinions on which jackets/pants etc they like and why. I'd like to carry the models that are most popular.
Thanks.
I am a big fan of Olympia gear because their products are, on average, significantly better than the common value brands like Joe Rocket and Tourmaster but their cost, although slightly higher, is not outrageously pricey like Klim, BMW or some Rev'It gear.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17280

Currently using an AST in anything below 75F/24C and an Air Glide Jacket in the heat. May be interested in a pair of Ranger or XMoto pants down the road. Do you ship to Canada via USPS?

Last edited by twowheels; 02-13-2012 at 08:27 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 PM

I have the Airglide 2 jacket and pants (bought it a few years ago), and I really like them for the summer months. I'll probably switch to a Moab jacket, though, as I'd like something longer with a two-stage liner (mine came with a single waterproof/insulated liner) for the early spring/late fall rides.

All in all, it's quality gear, and I'll buy it again.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:52 PM

I have a gen 1 Airglide in high viz, had it for 5 years by now. I've been happy with it. One thing I like is the armor is beefier than some others. After 5 seasons the zipper on the liner jacket started pulling out from the seam. I called Olympia, told them what was up, and they fixed it for $30 plus shipping. To buy a new liner was over $100 so I went with the repair. It's a very handy liner because it's reasonably waterproof and looks good as a standalone jacket so you don't need to pack a separate one for trips or wear high viz when you're walking around town or camp. I like the reflective piping. Good overall experience, I'd buy another but so far I'm glad I don't have to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff View Post
The only complaint, if one at all, is the neck is a little tight. I do have a thick neck though ;-)
I can relate I've got a fat neck too and it's a struggle to close the top flap of my Tourmaster rain jacket without choking to death.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
May be interested in a pair of Ranger or XMoto pants down the road. Do you ship to Canada via USPS?
Yes I do. I've found the US Postal Service offers very reasonable international shipping rates and I use them almost exclusively for all my shippments. It will probably take a few weeks to get set up as a dealer, but when I do, I can send PM's to those who may be interested in any of their products.
Thanks.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Good news. I spoke to the Olympia Moto Sports rep today, so the process of becoming an OMS dealer has begun. Also got a friendly email from one of the owners (Kevin Rhea). I like the fact that they welcome small businesses like mine into their "family" to become dealers and don't demand an unreasonable start-up purchase.
The Airglide 3 Mesh Jacket was the model he recommended I start off with.
Any experience with this jacket?

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:26 PM

I have the Airglide mesh jacket and it's terrific. Nice materials, nice craftsmanship. With its warmth liner and windproof liner, I can wear in all seasons. I just bought an Aerostich Kanetsu electric liner (includes the sleeves). I'd buy another Olympia jacket.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
The Airglide 3 Mesh Jacket was the model he recommended I start off with.
Any experience with this jacket?
I have Olympia AST and Airglide 2 jackets

My 3 complaints with the Airglide 2
- it has an integrated wind/water/insulation liner (i believe they have since fixed this in version 3 which has separate liners) so it is not so good at in between temps. You have to carry the liner with you because mesh is not waterproof and can get chilly below ~72F.
- the shorter length (high waist) makes it more drafty in mild to cool temps than a 3/4 length jacket.
- the combination of mesh and no heavy reinforcement patches like Olympia's more expensive jackets gives it less abrasion resistance.

Basically it is a great hot weather jacket but vented jackets are more practical than mesh IMO in <75F temps.

I much prefer my Olympia AST because it is more versatile and protective. You don't need to carry liners around and can more easily adjust the cooling. You can control your temp by opening and shutting the vents as needed and it is MUCH warmer in the cold due to the increased length of the body - helps prevent drafts at the waist. The only downside to the AST or any vented jacket for that matter is mesh provides better air flow and cooling in the heat (80F+).

In the North East climate I wear the AST 80% of the time and only use the Airglide on really hot summer days. IMO there is no such thing as the perfect 4 season jacket. Mesh obviously works best in the heat but vented 4 season type jackets like the AST are superior in mild to cool temps. The Airglide is just too cold, even with the insulated liner much below 55F.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-16-2012 at 12:41 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Twowheels...interesting.

You're not the first person to sing the praises of the AST jacket. When I suggested the AST jacket to the rep, he said I'd be better off starting with the AG3. I know what you mean the the jacket being short in the waist. May just have to carry both.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM

Garage
They just came out with this. Looks like a pretty good all round option.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Very nice jacket.

I just got the thumbs up from Olympia today that I am officially a dealer

Looking forward to getting my first inventory.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM

What is the sizing like on the olympia jackets? do they run small or big. I ask becase i want to get the olympia ast 2 neon yellow and i will probably need the 4xl. My main problem with jackets is most manufature all have diffrent ideas as to what a large and so forth is
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbark View Post
What is the sizing like on the olympia jackets? do they run small or big. I ask becase i want to get the olympia ast 2 neon yellow and i will probably need the 4xl. My main problem with jackets is most manufature all have diffrent ideas as to what a large and so forth is
The Olympia 4XL jacket equals: 58-60 suit size, 6' - 6'.5" height, and 240 - 290 lb weight range. But of course, these are general guidelines.
They are designed to a "North American" fit, which means they have a little more room in the mid section to accommodate the American physique.

If you need more information, PM me with your measurements and I can contact OMS for the best fit for you.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:20 PM

I'm 6ft and 180lb. I ordered a size large AST and exchanged it for a medium. I would say they fit large.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:14 PM

I thought they fit large. In a jacket I tried the size smaller than what was listed for me on their size chart and it was still too big. There weren't any smaller Olympia jackets in the shop, and I haven't tried anything from them that fit.

I have no problem fitting Dainese, Rev-it, BMW. Olympia sure looked like a good value. But maybe not for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode