Dual-Sport Helmets? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dual-Sport Helmets?

I don't have an Arai budget right now, so I'll ask about the AFX helmets. Is anyone using an AFX FX-39 (or 37) for mostly street riding? I am assuming the pointy nose will allow more air flow into the helmet, but I'm looking at it for a mostly summer/3-season helmet.

What I need to know is if it's still comfortable on the highway, or does the peak visor cause buffeting? Do you remove the peak visor for long days on the highway? How loud are the dual-sport helmets on the highway?

I don't plan on doing any dual-sporting; I do a lot of sport-touring on the road. But, sadly, I like the look of the dual-sport helmets, and I'm thinking the extra room behind the chin would make it easier to use my Camelbak while riding in the summer months. The AFX helmets are cheap enough, I may just pick one up in Hi-Viz yellow for commuting, and see if it'll work for touring duties.

Any opinions on the AFX dual-sport helmets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 AM

I bought the FX-39 last year and my main concern is vibration. At around 70 mph (115 km/h ) it becomes a real problem, I'm thinking of removing the peak visor for longer rides. I'd like to hear from others if they also had this issue.

For the other concerns, it is comfortable and the visor does not drag too much on the highway.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 AM

I have the FX-37, and i love the design, like you I did not have the Arai budget, and that it is why I picked this one up. The visor has not being a real problem to me even though I do not ride on highways a lot, but I do think they are way noisier than any regular full face helmet. I'm currently in the market for a second helmet, and I'm seriously thinking on picking a FX-39 in red to match the bike.

Slow down, and you'll get there faster!!!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Dual sport helmets are great at low speeds but not great above 50mph because the visor catches the wind and the overall shape is not aerodynamic.

Check out reviews on www.webbikeworld.com. I would still recommend a good venting full face. You can leave the visor up at lower speeds if you wear glasses.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo12 View Post
Is anyone using an AFX FX-39 (or 37) for mostly street riding?

What I need to know is if it's still comfortable on the highway, or does the peak visor cause buffeting? Do you remove the peak visor for long days on the highway? How loud are the dual-sport helmets on the highway?

...I'm thinking the extra room behind the chin would make it easier to use my Camelbak while riding in the summer months. The AFX helmets are cheap enough, I may just pick one up in Hi-Viz yellow for commuting, and see if it'll work for touring duties.

Any opinions on the AFX dual-sport helmets?
I've had an AFX-39 since August '11 and have put around 10k+ miles on it thus far - a mixture of gravel, twisties, and slab - and have been very happy with it.

I previously had a Shoei TZ-R that got stolen in AK, that I then replaced with a plain 'ole MX helmet. After riding through ALOT of cold rainy weather above 49N this past summer, I decided I needed something with an actual face shield. Based on price and review, I chose the AFX-39.

The AFX doesn't have the fit and finish of a Shoei or Arai, but I don't care. Now that I've actually owned a Shoei, I can say I don't want something I feel bad about dropping or scratching. It's a tool for crissakes, not a piece of jewelry.

The AFX most definitely catches less wind than a regular MX helmet, as it has a better aerodynamic shape and the visor is smaller. However, it has less room in from of your mouth than a regular MX helmet, so your plan of using a camelback under it may, or may not be possible, depending on the build of your jaw/chin. It also has a slightly smaller facial opening than a regular MX helmet, which is nice if you are using goggles on the highway (as I sometimes do), as most goggles will almost seal the front like a faceshield. The visor is easily removed, but I haven't felt the need to do so. I specifically chose a visored helmet, because I like the shading component. I haven't had any issues with the wind above 90 mph; and, I'm pretty sure that it is quieter than my Shoei TZ-R was. It is also very well vented. Two other components of its design that I liked were the fully removable internals, and the ratchet-lock chin strap - very handy.

I would say the poorest element of the design is the faceshield rachet mechanism. I also wish yellow or amber faceshields were available. However, for $110 I am/was more than willing to overlook these elements.

If I crashed tomorrow and had to buy another helmet, I would buy another AFX-39.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:01 PM

timely thread. my cousin has the arai, it's old and needs replacement. but his wife just birthed their first child, so... link sent....

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 PM

I have a Joe Rocket DS helmet (made by HJC). It's a nice helmet, but the visor does catch the wind about 50 and moves my head around some. With the visor off, it's so ugly, I can't wear it in public.

What I do like the most, is the visibility from it. That's the best part. If I wanted to spend the bucks, I'd go all Master Chief and get an Icon.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I think for ~$100, it's worth a shot to try the AFX. If it works well for me, I may spring for the Icon Variant or the Arai later on. If it doesn't work well for me on the highway (or for touring), maybe I can still use it for commuting or running errands around town. Methinks I'll still prefer my flip-up helmet for touring anyway.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Garage
I've been trying to find an AFX FX-39 all Winter. The only dealer in town who stocks them only has the FX 37. The kicker is the Canadian distributor for AFX is warehoused right here in London!

Always trust your cape.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM

I bought a hi-viz FX-39 last fall. It is good, but flows way too much air for the winter. I will be using it again in the summer. Also this summer they are supposed to be releasing a bunch of accessories that will make it more usable. What I'm looking forward to are the exterior flip down sun shield, and the chin curtain. With those two things it might be more usable year round.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM

I too bought the FX-39... and I've pushed it to the back of my gear closet. Not saying it isn't a good helmet, but it just doesn't have the aerodynamics my KBC V2 has. I've taken the FX-39 on one camping trip and my neck was so sore from the interstate portion I felt like overdosing on advil. My next lid will likely be a Scorpion EXO-900. I've had a flip lid in the past and I miss it... The only thing I'll miss on the FX-39 is that visor. It definitley made early morning rides through the woods easier.

2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (sold)
2004 Suzuki SV650 (sold, wish I hadn't)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (commuter/dragon slayer)
Future bike: Ducati Sport 1000S (just because
)

Last edited by KnoxvegasMike; 02-23-2012 at 11:54 AM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxvegasMike View Post
I too bought the FX-39... and I've pushed it to the back of my gear closet. Not saying it isn't a good helmet, but it just doesn't have the aerodynamics my KBC V2 has. I've taken the FX-39 on one camping trip and my neck was so sore from the interstate portion I felt like overdosing on advil. My next lid will likely be a Scorpion EXO-900. I've had a flip lid in the past and I miss it... The only thing I'll miss on the FX-39 is that visor. It definitley made early morning rides through the woods easier.
Had the Scorpion EXO-900 Liked it alot but it's heavy and alittle bulky. Switched to a Nolan N90. Much happier with the Nolan. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...th/6592310651/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM

DS Helmets

The Fly Trekker is the same helmet, different colors, different padding, supposedly fits more true to size. I'm trying one on tonight at a bike-night. If it's good will pick it up for the DS.

The manufacturer is also importing them and selling them directly but I can't recall the brand name it's coming in as. Found them at the big bike show in Long Beach in December. They claim to make the FX series as well as the Trekker. Their's was just a bit different as well, same price too.

MCSS has the FX39 for $115 shipped (solid color. I don't need to show off). Atomicmoto.com also sells them at a discount, free ship. The Trekker runs about $10 more.

Atomic has a thread going on the the FX39 on ADVrider.com. They say the 39 was vastly improved over the 37, that they just blew out all the old style because the new one is so much better.

The Arai's are very popular, but also too rich for my poor budget. Sometimes they can be found used for a couple of hundred.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

Last edited by CJBROWN; 02-23-2012 at 01:34 PM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Check for Motorcycle Cycle Gear Consignment Shops in your area. Like this one in my neck of the woods http://www.yellowdevilgear.com/shop/index.php?c=3

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
The Fly Trekker is the same helmet, different colors, different padding, supposedly fits more true to size. I'm trying one on tonight at a bike-night. If it's good will pick it up for the DS.

I was looking at that one for a nice summer helmet, please post how it is and if you get one definitely let me know.

"Why do I ride?"

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM

I love my AFX and I really really want to upgrade to the newer version. :drool:

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Had the Scorpion EXO-900 Liked it alot but it's heavy and alittle bulky. Switched to a Nolan N90. Much happier with the Nolan. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...th/6592310651/
Thanks for the heads up on the Scorpion. I'll take a look at the Nolan before I pull the trigger on a replacement helmet. The main thing I liked about the EXO-900 was the fit. I've got one of those warped heads that if it isn't an Arai or similar then it's too tight on the forehead... darned big brain...

2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (sold)
2004 Suzuki SV650 (sold, wish I hadn't)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (commuter/dragon slayer)
Future bike: Ducati Sport 1000S (just because
)
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Dualsport Helmet Comparo - Fly Trekker VS AFX FX-39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I was looking at that one for a nice summer helmet, please post how it is and if you get one definitely let me know.
Well, I got to try one on, it was a large. I'm kind of in between a M and L, the M being too small and the L being a little loose. The Fly Trekker seems to run pretty true if not just a shade large. Supposedly the FX-39 is a third to a half size large. Both products have sizing charts with actual head circumference measurements. I would really like to try on a '39 M to see how it feels.

I did not buy the helmet. I'm really having second thoughts. This would be for my Husky, I have a couple of street helmets for the versys, a Symax flip, and a Zox road helmet which is way quieter than the former. Seems like all this flip stuff is kind of a gimick, I can take it or leave it. I currently wear an MX helmet with goggles for dualsport riding. Works fine for everything except really cold temps and rain. Then it's a PITA. I dunno, I may just deal with it because a regular screen is crap for dirt - it's too hot, doesn't flow enough air, and the screen gets dirty and too hard to clean in the field.

The screen on the Trekker when flipped up hangs down low enough to be in your vision. And it's not exactly easy to just pop off like a good street helmet. One check against it. It is also loose enough to make me hesitate. Other than that it seemed to be a nice helmet especially for it's low price point.

In really digging into these two helmets here is what I found are the differences and similarities:
  • Both are made in the same factory but have differing details and interior.
  • Since the FX comes in assorted color schemes it has black vent covers. The trekkers are color matched.
  • The screen fits both models and tinted ones are available for the AFX.
  • The fx runs slightly large.
  • The fx has a ratchet quick connect chin strap that most users are positive about.
  • Both are designed to be used some for offroad so vent very well. This unfortunately makes them pretty loud on road but most of us wear ear plugs so no biggie. They are also cold if the temps are low because of this.
  • The fx white is a pearl white, the trekker is pure white. I like the idea, especially for our desert southwest, but just can't get over the storm-trooper look of them.
  • The fx is said to use the same outer shell on the M and L sizes, and thus many say the chin piece is VERY close to their mouth. Some have said trying to get a bite valve into their mouth for a hydration pack is impossible.
  • The trekker uses a larger shell on the size L.
  • The early FX models came with a 'roost guard' nose piece and many said their nose touched it. They quit including them with the helmets but I think you can still order them. They can be trimmed to fit, are a rubber guard at nose level.
  • The trekker is about $10 more.
  • Some have said the interior covering is smoother on the FX but I didn't notice anything scratchy or annoying on the Trekker.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxvegasMike View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Scorpion. I'll take a look at the Nolan before I pull the trigger on a replacement helmet. The main thing I liked about the EXO-900 was the fit. I've got one of those warped heads that if it isn't an Arai or similar then it's too tight on the forehead... darned big brain...
I have read that helmets can easily be slightly modified for fit by using a spoon to press in the styrofoam at any hard spots.

The foam is also a really good insulator so interior temperatures when riding seem to be virtually identical for light or dark colored shells.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
I have read that helmets can easily be slightly modified for fit by using a spoon to press in the styrofoam at any hard spots.

The foam is also a really good insulator so interior temperatures when riding seem to be virtually identical for light or dark colored shells.
I did that to my car racing helmet. There was a hot spot in the middle of my forehead. Took a serving spoon and just pressed on the foam in that area. Only took a little bit to make it comfortable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode