Olympia Gloves - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Olympia Gloves

Since spring is around the corner, I'm starting to think about stocking up on my glove inventory.
Any suggestions for Olympia Gloves? They make so many different models, it's hard to know which ones are preferred.
Thanks.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 AM

I've had a pair of their Digital Protectors for 5 years. They need replacing now but they are very comfortable. I found that the sizing ran small. I normally wear an XL and needed an XXL Olympia Glove. They are a great warm weather glove. I have a different glove for winter riding.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Several years ago I got caught in rain up in the Adirondacks. The "waterproof" Olympia gloves I was wearing were not waterproof, nor were they colorfast. I was smiling when that photo was taken at camp, but getting my hands back to their normal color required round after round of detergent, bleaching cleanser and moisturizing lotion.

Perhaps they've addressed that issue at Olympia, but I've worn Held gloves ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NY03 black hands 1.jpg (41.8 KB, 79 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM

I had a pair of Olympia textile gloves. They didn't last one season.

The second set I had were leather and nice and soft, "water proof" sometimes and warm till about 45 degrees.

I probably wouldn't buy a second set of either.

"Why do I ride?"

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:11 PM

I've had good luck with the Olympia Gel Sport Cowhide gloves, ordered from Aerostich. My first pair lasted at least 50k miles. Just ordered another set last spring, they feel just as good as the old ones did. Really good for $60.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Olympia make first rate jackets/pants but their gloves are not the best. I'm not even sure if Olympia Gloves is connected or has any affiliation with Olympia Moto Sports which makes jackets and pants.

Held make fantastic gloves but they can be pricey. Check out glove reviews on www.webbikeworld.com
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Held make fantastic gloves but they can be pricey.
True on both counts. Check www.motorcyclegear.com for closeouts on good gloves, currently including Held Steve 2's. I have the gen 1 Steves which are awesome. I'm convinced the kangaroo palms make me faster.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 AM

I have the Olympia leather gauntlet gloves and think they're fantastic. Warm, coverage over the wrist, nicely made. There's even a little wiper on the left thumb to clear the faceshield. I love my Olympia jacket too.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 AM

I have Gerbings T5 for cooler temps but thinking of these for warmer temps. I currently have a pair of race gauntlets but the gauntlets, although protective, are overkill for regular riding and a bit of a pain to put on and I think a bit hotter. I like the idea of super fabric (ceramic) palm sliders.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-namib

I don't trust gloves made of mesh textile. In my experience kangaroo leather on the palm is really nice to have (almost all higher end gloves, regardless of brand, have it), it is thinner and stretchier so you get better feel, fit and dexterity but also much stronger and more abrasion resistant than thicker cow leather. Palm sliders are an often overlooked safety issue with gloves IMO.

Last edited by Sprocket; 02-09-2012 at 09:30 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I have Gerbings T5 for cooler temps but thinking of these for warmer temps. I currently have a pair of race gauntlets but the gauntlets, although protective, are overkill for regular riding and a bit of a pain to put on and I think a bit hotter. I like the idea of super fabric (ceramic) palm sliders.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-namib

I don't trust gloves made of mesh textile. In my experience kangaroo leather on the palm is really nice to have (almost all higher end gloves, regardless of brand, have it), it is thinner and stretchier so you get better feel, fit and dexterity but also much stronger and more abrasion resistant than thicker cow leather. Palm sliders are an often overlooked safety issue with gloves IMO.
I have crash tested my Held Steve (gen I) gloves and they did a great job protecting my hands. Granted, it was low speed, but it looked like the smooth metal studs in the palm slid and protected as intended.

To stay on topic: I have Olympia winter gloves which are warm but very bulky. I have no experience with multi-season Olympia gloves.

To go off topic again: Whenever I can get away with it I wear my Held Steve gloves. Those provide the mix of comfort and protection that I am looking for. Adding a pair of $15 silk glove liners greatly extends the gloves' temperature range.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:51 PM

Try aerostitch elkskin roper gloves they come in tan and black

Last edited by southbark; 02-09-2012 at 03:54 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Held make fantastic gloves but they can be pricey. Check out glove reviews on www.webbikeworld.com
True, but worth every penny. I have tried all sorts of gloves, from Alpinestars, Scorpion, AGV, Fieldsheer, Icon, etc., and always come back to Held. Still have a pair of the Uno gloves (lightly fleeced touring gloves) that are about 5 years old now and still in great shape, while a pair of Scorpion Recon gloves are breaking up at 4 months.

I'm sticking to Held and will be very happy with them...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode